Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    She doesnt look badass. Thats the problem its like fenale characters have to be more like men to be considered relevant. So she gets a crew cut and a personality based on Chuck Yeager,covers up and shes supposed to be cool. Nah I'd take the old Carol over the new.
    The "old" Carol was an Air Force officer and then a security chief at NASA. the "Chuck Yeager" personality fits there.

I don't think Marvel needs a flagship heroine
    We need better comics

The easiest way to make Angela more popular is to have her show up in the MCU soemwhere. The people who didn't like her before aren't likely to start liking her now in Guardians Of The Galaxy so the best shot is to branch out to a new and wider audience. Although I don't know how she'd have to be written. She's always been the quiet type and she's only shown more personality through her interactions with Sera who acted as her foil. She could be added to a GotG movie as Gamora's love interest which has just about as much chance of happening as her actually been included in the MCU at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The "old" Carol was an Air Force officer and then a security chief at NASA. the "Chuck Yeager" personality fits there.
    Well it would if she was a guy. There's plenty of women in the Air Force that could've been a character base for Carol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I'm not even sure where to begin with this but I'll start with the obvious and just say that's not accurate.
    Compare her looks when she was Ms Marvel to Caotain Marvel and tell me if I'm wrong.

Well it would if she was a guy. There's plenty of women in the Air Force that could've been a character base for Carol.
    If she was a guy? OK, then. Or you could read the Roy Thomas stories from the original Captain Marvel series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    LOL. [SIZE=5] At the very least Monica deserves the Captain Marvel title more than Carol for being first,
    That's quite like saying Johnny Storm shouldn't be the Torch because Jim Hammond was first. Except that the Torch example actually holds more traction because it was Hammond's name originally. Carol existed before Monica, was linked to the original Captain Marvel in powers and initially costume. Monica Rambeau on the other hand was given the name to maintain the trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Carol danvers deserve the Captain Marvel title because she actually has a link to Captain MarVell and to the Captain Marvel mythos. In addition her character actually held rank in the military and she constantly find herself in a position of command. Being part Kree, Carol actually has a real connection to the other characters who held the mantle. Also in calling herself Captain Marvel honors the man who saved her life and was once a close friend.

Monica just thought the name was cool with no real connection to the mythos or the Kree at all.
    Also this

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    The easiest way to make Angela more popular is to have her show up in the MCU soemwhere. The people who didn't like her before aren't likely to start liking her now in Guardians Of The Galaxy so the best shot is to branch out to a new and wider audience. Although I don't know how she'd have to be written. She's always been the quiet type and she's only shown more personality through her interactions with Sera who acted as her foil. She could be added to a GotG movie as Gamora's love interest which has just about as much chance of happening as her actually been included in the MCU at all.
    I don't think it's that hard. Hercules is in Waid's team. I love Hercules and Abnett's take on the character was downright brilliant, but if he has a place in the Avengers, so could Angela. Making her the resident badass of Earth could fill a void that isn't exactly filled with Old Man Logan or anyone else. I sincerely think it could work. I'd take her and Thor in the Avengers instead of Herc and Jane Thor any day of the week. Interesting premise too with the Avengers trying to keep the siblings from killing each other, a reverse Wanda and Pietro thing if you're catching my drift.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Astonishing Member

That ship has already sailed.
    True. But just because the film is getting made does not mean it will be successful. Casting will play an important role. I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy would have worked as well if they had cast a non-comedic actor in the role of Star-Lord. That helped set it apart. I don' know what they can do with Carol to make her appealing to a large audience. Sure, she has fans, but her books struggle in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Compare her looks when she was Ms Marvel to Caotain Marvel and tell me if I'm wrong.
    You're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Sure, she has fans, but her books struggle in sales.
    The same could be said for Ant-Man and the pre-Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy. How a character does in comic sales is virtually meaningless in the context of a film's success. These are for all intents and purposes new characters to most of the audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    True. But just because the film is getting made does not mean it will be successful. Casting will play an important role. I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy would have worked as well if they had cast a non-comedic actor in the role of Star-Lord. That helped set it apart. I don' know what they can do with Carol to make her appealing to a large audience. Sure, she has fans, but her books struggle in sales.
    Honestly, I have far greater confidence in Marvel Studios than Marvel Comics. Captain Marvel is being written by two amazing screenwriters and Oscar winner Brie Larson is Marvel's #1 pick for the role if she wants it. If you don't know how they could possibly make Captain Marvel interesting, then you have zero imagination.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

The thing is Carol always had a revealing costume and it's arguable her popularity went down after drastic changes to costume and personality.
    Her costume is boring. Her haircut is butch. Her personality is deader than a door nail. She's a Tumblr/fangirl-made shell of a character waiting for the movie to fill her out.
    It's pretty sad.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Honestly I could see Kamala becoming the flagship heroine before Angela.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I think Marvel has done a decent job with Captain Marvel but there is definitely room for improvement. The writers of her book (and the likes of G. Willow Wilson and Dennis Hopeless) have all done a fine job establishing the character, what she's all about and defining her relationships, support characters and stature and such. However, I don't think there's been a particular great/memorable story since she took up the mantle. They need to set this right.

For me though, she has all the tools to succeed as the flagship female. Great character, incoming movie, ties to the Avengers, the Carol Corps etc. Oh, and the best costume in comics. Yeah, I went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The closest thing she has to an enduring archenemy is Moonstone who is being used in another book.

Editorial needs to take the lead on the character and dictate a defining vision of the character is and have the creatives stick to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    What I like: JUST Carol, fighting MAJOR identifiable villains, with the odd guest appearance now and then. Reed got it right, until the end there.
    Yup. Can't think of too many great villains/enemies since the Captain Marvel era began. The new writer could do worse than have her go up against Moonstone, Mystique and some cosmic badass in the opening arcs.

BANNED

You're wrong.
    I'm pretty sure I'm right.