Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Very sad news. To all my fellow Invincible fans, this is a tough time and you're not going through it alone.

Invincible was the comic that got me back into reading comics. It's the one comic I actually am excited to read, even if I may not have liked some of the anti-heroic story lines recently. But it was a still a great story, great characters and great universe.

And Ryan Ottley is just a fantastic artist. I bought my first original art, and it was his two page spread first appearance of Battle Beast, Magnattack, Kursk, Furnace, Magmaniac and Tether Tyrant (Invincible #19) Will always treasure it.

I'm just amazed that there's this many people who've never read Astro City.

Wow, but then again I Shouldn't be surprised. Series felt like it was going to have an ending. Would have figured it would go to #150 or #200 but I guess whatever feels right for the story. It'll be a sad day to see this go. I love Mark, Eve, Allan, Oliver, Nolan etc. They felt like real people who actually dealt with consequences. Since the stakes where massive, dead =dead and a lack of retcons, I was always at the edge of my seat. Not everything was perfect, but man was it different.

Amazing Member

I really liked this comic a lot. There were a handful of titles that brought me back into comics and this was one of them. Sadly, you could see the quality of story slowly erode and I dropped it a bit after 100. Kirk-Man had a great idea and executed some cool, fresh stories. It's great to see death mean something and this was a title that liked to buck the trends a bit.

It's impossible for one writer to keep it interesting for a prolonged period of time and this is true with INVINCIBLE. Several issues were nothing more than filler with a bit of an enticing ending to the issue; extended scenes of drawn out dialogue and too many pointless panels. I couldn't justify spending the $ when the story became thin and the plots were less and less interesting. Even the shock issues kinda seemed like stunts (ex. INVINCIBLE gets raped and the response to it was a tad subtle and you really don't see too much impact on Mark over the long run).

Kirk-Man should have handed off the story to another trusted writer and an artist change would've been OK too. You don't have to end it but c'est la vie.

I'm hoping this isn't a stunt to boost sales and then Kirk-Man continues to continue the title due to 'popular demand'. Actually, I'd be OK with that if a solid creative team took over the title. You don't want this series to turn into Larsen's The Dragon (wow did that hit the skids hard).

All-New Member

If this comic is so "acclaimed" how come I never heard of it before this post?

Invincible OHC's are some of the only physical books I have no urge to sell, even though I have gone 100% digital with new books and have been for a long time. Guess volume 11 will end it, may as well have them all.

It was a great ride, if you guys are reading this...Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wiredwizard View Post
    Obviously because you have stumbled blindly through piles of repetitive X, Bat, Super or whatever Man comics.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    I really liked this comic a lot. There were a handful of titles that brought me back into comics and this was one of them. Sadly, you could see the quality of story slowly erode and I dropped it a bit after 100. Kirk-Man had a great idea and executed some cool, fresh stories. It's great to see death mean something and this was a title that liked to buck the trends a bit.

It's impossible for one writer to keep it interesting for a prolonged period of time and this is true with INVINCIBLE. Several issues were nothing more than filler with a bit of an enticing ending to the issue; extended scenes of drawn out dialogue and too many pointless panels. I couldn't justify spending the $ when the story became thin and the plots were less and less interesting. Even the shock issues kinda seemed like stunts (ex. INVINCIBLE gets raped and the response to it was a tad subtle and you really don't see too much impact on Mark over the long run).

Kirk-Man should have handed off the story to another trusted writer and an artist change would've been OK too. You don't have to end it but c'est la vie.

I'm hoping this isn't a stunt to boost sales and then Kirk-Man continues to continue the title due to 'popular demand'. Actually, I'd be OK with that if a solid creative team took over the title. You don't want this series to turn into Larsen's The Dragon (wow did that hit the skids hard).
    Why do you think Larsen's Dragon hit the skids hard? I used to read it but stopped. Did the quality reduce greatly?

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    Why do you think Larsen's Dragon hit the skids hard? I used to read it but stopped. Did the quality reduce greatly?
    The book changed when Malcolm took over as the lead character. It may have alienated some readers. Personally I still enjoy the book, but I can see why some readers might hate the change.

I like how Kirkman is ending the book on his terms. Sometimes stories end. And that's okay.

(A little surprised he didn't decide to get to #150, but them's the breaks.)

Fantastic Member

Aw, man.

I love Invincible. It's a book that holds up and is just as entertaining on a subsequent reading. Invincible, in part, a superhero love letter from Kirkman who also judiciously uses his freedom to be unpredictable and compelling.

Ryan Ottley is ridiculously good. Marvel or DC should be salivating at an opportunity to snap him up. If he sticks with Kirkman or goes elsewhere, I will follow his work.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    The book changed when Malcolm took over as the lead character. It may have alienated some readers. Personally I still enjoy the book, but I can see why some readers might hate the change.
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by wiredwizard View Post
    Seriously?
    https://youtu.be/-3v8PgAZCAk Check out this review of The Walking Dead #156!

Spectacular Member

i so don't want this book to end ! i really love it ... its such a dope , violent comic book . i hope we get something like this again from Image comics ! i would love for this comic to be a tv show .

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    DRAGON was neat back in the day because it was action and piles of wild characters - some of them were cool. Then the stories just kept getting more and more goofy. They dragged and the stories were of the cookie cutter type. He was never a gifted writer and that really started showing even before 100.

I remember listening to a podcast and Larsen even admitted he doesn't remember what he did with certain characters/villains so instead of reviewing his work, he just creates new characters. That is concerning and really speaks to the quality of the product. The art has also taken a step back. I don't know what the sales numbers are but I am betting the title would be cancelled if it was done by a new creator/team; Larsen is a founding father so it goes on.

Anyway, INVINCIBLE started down a similar road and good on them to end it. I would have preferred a new creative team but what can you do?