Page 731 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 231631681721727728729730731732733734735741781831 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,965 of 17573
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    This is pretty much how the vocal progressive wing of the democrat party has treated the moderate liberals since Trump got elected. The loud fringe democrats act as if we are the deplorables that Hilary hated. I voted Bill Clinton in 92, my first election I was old enough for, and voted democrat every election until 2016 when I voted Gary Johnson as I despised Hilary Clinton and you would literally have had to put a gun to my head to get me to vote for her. I will absolutely vote Biden or Bloomberg if they get the nomination. But I will not vote Sanders or Warren. Both have attacked moderate liberals for daring to question how they can pay for their pie in sky idea without doing it on the backs of the middle class. They treat us as if we are Trump supporters and they have declared war on my profession.

I absolutely despise the vocal fringe of the democrat party that has been taken over by Sanders, Warren, AOC and the rest of the Squad, etc. If they are the future then I'm getting out. Not voting for Trump but I don't see Trump as any worse than Sanders.
    I have not seen one person compare Biden, Klobuchar or Buttigieg to Nazi’s. I have yet to hear them be called racist or problematic for blacks though all three have severe issues. I have yet to see their supporters be likened to Trump supporters.

Big false equivalency

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Sure but I rarely see Bernie supporters gaslight a young diverse coalition that is strong with both genders and all races calling them toxic and acting like they are racist and homophobic online. Those people are going to remember that wig Biden gets the nom when the same people that bombarded them and said they couldn’t support Bernie for his supporters come back and start trying to shake them when it comes time to face Trump.

Sorry you can’t spend months calling a group you need shitty vile people and then act nice when you realize you need them,
    A post that would be stronger if when I asked Sanders supporters to condemn someone posting a rat flying away saying "Pete's exit from the race" in this very thread you hadn't stayed quite so silent on the issue...
    #truthbombOFLOVE
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-03-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I absolutely despise the vocal fringe of the democrat party that has been taken over by Sanders, Warren, AOC and the rest of the Squad, etc. If they are the future then I'm getting out. Not voting for Trump but I don't see Trump as any worse than Sanders.
    This is exactly how I feel. I've considered myself a democrat for most of my adult life, but the last several years have pushed me so hard in the other direction that it's a miracle I'm still questioning the Trump train. These folks on the far left have absolutely no self-awareness about how utterly toxic they are and it's infuriating. They've basically handed the second term to Trump on a silver platter at this point after sowing so much division.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    A post that would be stronger if when I asked Sanders supporters to condemn someone posting a rat flying away saying "Pete's exit from the race" in this very thread you hadn't stayed quite so silent on the issue...
    #truthbombOFLOVE
    If I didn’t say anything it’s because I don’t read all your posts. It’s too noisy in here. I have never once said I condoned anything like that

The impressive recovery of the markets yesterday turned out to be just a dead cat bounce.

Joe Biden has jumped out to an eight-point national lead
    https://www.politicususa.com/2020/03...mpression=true

If I didn’t say anything it’s because I don’t read all your posts. It’s too noisy in here. I have never once said I condoned anything like that
    If you go back to post #10719 you'll see this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Okay, here's him exiting the race

The following post to Billy's rat gif (post #10720) is from Knight of the Lake

I object to this in post #10724
    *Kieran waits patiently for all the Sanders supporters in the thread to condemn this, as they all said they would... to prove they don't agree with what the extreme Bernie Bros do*

Something tells me I'll be waiting for a while.
    And I quote Billy when I do it, meaning the gif was there again. Repeated.

The following post to mine (post #10725) is from Knight of the Lake

Should have gone to specsavers

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    He does have a penis, which alone should get him those extra 60,000 votes Hill would have needed for the electoral college.
    Ding ding ding ding. If everything was identical, except Hilary was a man, she would have won. Someone's gender (or sexuality, or race) isn't (necessarily) a colossal swing, but it's enough of a swing. When the gap is close, it's enough. And that's sadly the reality of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Well that wasnt a direct quote from Huffington Post. You could tell from their headlines, particularly just after one declared their support for Sanders, they thought it was dirty pool from the established Democrats.
    I massively disagree. I think the article was actually VERY pro-Biden, dedicating most of it to really lovely stories about Biden, all the nice things people are saying about him, all the nice things Biden is saying about them. NOTHING about it sounded in tone or attitude to reflect calling it "a real garbage move."

I actually think you posting "The Huffington Post is calling what Buttigieg and Klobuchar did, right before Super Tuesday, a real garbage move" when the article says no such thing (not even close) is a gross mis-characterization. Doing this once, I'll accept as an accident, or misunderstanding. TWICE will start showing a pattern. Please be more careful so it doesn't happen twice.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The reality is that both candidates are likely to lose given historical precedent, especially if the party remains divided.

-----
    "President Trump has beaten his biggest political threat to date after being recently acquitted in the Senate’s impeachment trial. The latest Gallup Poll shows Trump reached a job approval rating of 49%, a record.

Presiding over an economy that continues to expand during an election year will likely get Trump re-elected, according to Brad Neuman, director of market strategy at Alger, an investment management company.

“We’ve looked into this and done quite a bit of research on it,” Neuman told Yahoo Finance’s “On the Move.” “If you look back at the past century and you look at all the incumbent races where there was an incumbent president seeking re-election, if there was a recession within the two years leading up to the election, that incumbent has not been re-elected and there’s been a new president.”

In recent history, Presidents Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush lost their reelection bids, while Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama won. The most recent 2008 recession hit at the end of George W. Bush’s second term.

“If there was no recession, then the incumbent actually won re-election. It has virtually a flawless track record back to 1932,” Neuman said."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-e...144031765.html
    Pretty much this; generally the incumbent is favoured. Though I think Carter pardoning Nixon didn't help him along with the recession
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I know this is anecdotal, that said, I can attest nearly all of my students don't believe in our two-party system or more worryingly yet the concept of democracy itself. Every year during the last decade fewer and fewer of them express any faith in democracy, a trend which has greatly accelerated since 2016.
    This is part of Putin's agenda as well.

A large part of their work in 2016 -- and 2020 I'd assume -- is getting people to lose faith in democracy.

Meanwhile, authoritarians like Trump directly benefit by casting doubt on election results -- whether it's regarding Sanders or his own.

Democracy isn't the problem -- it's that many can't accept that everyone has a right to have a say in our government.

This is best exemplified by McConnell, who won't even bring legislation to vote, and the rest of the Republican party who supports him.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-03-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    This is part of Putin's agenda as well.

A large part of their work in 2016 -- and 2020 I'd assume -- is getting people to lose faith in democracy.

Meanwhile, authoritarians like Trump would directly benefit by casting doubt on election results -- whether it's regarding Sanders or his own.

Democracy isn't the problem -- it's that many can't accept that everyone has a right to have a say in our government.
    The trend with my students started long before 2016. I don't think Putin caused it. If anything he might, I stress might have taken advantage of problems that already existed.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

The trend with my students started long before 2016. I don't think Putin caused it. If anything he might, I stress might have taken advantage of problems that already existed.
    What do you teach?

Spectacular Member

I went to University from 2000 to 2004 and I distinctly remember almost everyone I knew back then wondering how can we trust the system to count our votes properly and questioning democracy.

I'm pretty sure this has been around forever, which is probably a good thing because healthy skepticism keeps the liars and crooks on their toes. It's when we blindly accept that everything is working just fine that we'll get screwed.

Extraordinary Member

If you go back to post #10719 you'll see this...

The following post to Billy's rat gif (post #10720) is from Knight of the Lake

I object to this in post #10724

And I quote Billy when I do it, meaning the gif was there again. Repeated.

The following post to mine (post #10725) is from Knight of the Lake

Should have gone to specsavers

Ding ding ding ding. If everything was identical, except Hilary was a man, she would have won. Someone's gender (or sexuality, or race) isn't (necessarily) a colossal swing, but it's enough of a swing. When the gap is close, it's enough. And that's sadly the reality of the world.

I massively disagree. I think the article was actually VERY pro-Biden, dedicating most of it to really lovely stories about Biden, all the nice things people are saying about him, all the nice things Biden is saying about them. NOTHING about it sounded in tone or attitude to reflect calling it "a real garbage move."

I actually think you posting "The Huffington Post is calling what Buttigieg and Klobuchar did, right before Super Tuesday, a real garbage move" when the article says no such thing (not even close) is a gross mis-characterization. Doing this once, I'll accept as an accident, or misunderstanding. TWICE will start showing a pattern. Please be more careful so it doesn't happen twice.

Pretty much this; generally the incumbent is favoured. Though I think Carter pardoning Nixon didn't help him along with the recession
    Oh that was supposed to be Buttigieg... okay. Yeah dude I read every single post you have when you respond to ten different people. I didn’t know wtf that was supposed to be about

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Thank you to username taken, Kusanagi, Kieran Frost, Darkspellmaster and anyone else who liked my previous post urging unity following the Democratic Primaries. No matter who you vote for in your state's primary, you have to like whoever the eventual nominee is better than Trump, and therefore, vote for that nominee in November. Please don't pout and sit it out just so you can have a cute "Don't blame me" bumper sticker in 2021. 'Cause guess what? If you do that, I am blaming you.
    In the General, I can probably pull the lever for anyone except Bloomberg.

If I vote for Biden and he face plants in the General, will we be blaming someone? A group?

Oh that was supposed to be Buttigieg... okay. Yeah dude I read every single post you have when you respond to ten different people. I didn’t know wtf that was supposed to be about
    Do you have an opinion on it?

In other news... Poland has now created "LGBT+ FREE ZONES". So... that's... yeah. Poland is part of the EU. Fun fact.

I know this is anecdotal, that said, I can attest nearly all of my students don't believe in our two-party system or more worryingly yet the concept of democracy itself. Every year during the last decade fewer and fewer of them express any faith in democracy, a trend which has greatly accelerated since 2016.
    Nah. I'd say don't worry. Young people are designed to question authority, they think they've cracked the system, they think they've worked it all out and know better. It's just standard rebellion stuff. And (I'll say it) it's also down to privilege. We ultimately (America, Canada and the UK) are very privileged countries. We actually do have democracy. Our vote actually is counted. A privilege so, so many countries don't have. And students who are both privileged AND rebelliously entitled will lament the lack of true democracy (having no idea how lucky they are, and what it's actually like in places that don't have anything close to what we have). The more privileged a country is, the more everyone will complain about how awful it is, and how unjust (oblivious to the irony that if we didn't actually have said democracy and freedom - as they lament - they'd not be able to so publicly make such statements in the first place). The number of people "freaking out" about 'the dictatorship' we are living under in the UK. All I say to them is "oh f*ck off, you privileged idiots, and go live in an actual dictatorship".

In many ways actually... it's kind of insulting to everyone who doesn't get to vote, doesn't get a FREE vote, a honest vote, who live under very real dictatorships; to show such disregard and contempt for our huge privilege. I know that's sounding harsh, it's not meant to. They are students and it's natural to fight authority and "authoritarian views and opinions." They'll grow out of it. Promise.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-03-2020 at 03:22 PM.