Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    they did the same thing with mj wearing a cat suit doubt anyone cared when that happen
    I did a quick and not exhaustive internet image search and the only time I saw MJ dressed as Black Cat on an official Marvel cover is Mary Jane and Black Cat, where the costume is part of the story.

J. Scott Campbell has drawn MJ in a tiger suit.

Regardless, it’s the same issue: treating female characters as interchangeable objects. Just pop the heads off the dolls and switch them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's treating them interchangeably, it's just emphasizing Black Cat's flirtatious, playful, nature and the fact that she's a bombshell.
    MJ and Felicia have the exact same personality and would make the same quips (and Black Cat was introduced with that pose)? That seems to be saying they are interchangeable…?
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-21-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I did a quick and not exhaustive internet image search and the only time I saw MJ dressed as Black Cat on an official Marvel cover is Mary Jane and Black Cat, where the costume is part of the story.

J. Scott Campbell has drawn MJ in a tiger suit.

Regardless, it’s the same issue: treating female characters as interchangeable objects. Just pop the heads off the dolls and switch them around.

MJ and Felicia have the exact same personality and would make the same quips (and Black Cat was introduced with that pose)? That seems to be saying they are interchangeable…?
    Not interchangeable but certainly similar. It was pointed out in that miniseries that MJ and Felicia aren't as different as they think.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not interchangeable but certainly similar. It was pointed out in that miniseries that MJ and Felicia aren't as different as they think.
    IMO it was pointed out they both had similar misconceptions about the other, not that the two women are all that similar. In fact, IMO the miniseries played up how they have different and distinct strengths: Felicia couldn't do what MJ does - charm her fan Count Nefaria - and MJ didn't have the underworld connections or cat burglar skills that allowed them to steal back the hood but her acting skills allowed her to convincingly imitate Felicia.

There's similarities but they're not the same. I mean, MJ's not a criminal, she doesn't have Felicia's temper, she's more down-to-earth than Felicia, and MJ's more flirty than outright seductive.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Looks like the only thing tied to Marvel Pride issue for BC is the variant cover. Marvel released what's in the issue and no Felecia.
    There is a Spider-Man cameo though, but he's just fighting a goon for like a page

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Looks like the only thing tied to Marvel Pride issue for BC is the variant cover. Marvel released what's in the issue and no Felecia.
    There is a Spider-Man cameo though, but he's just fighting a goon for like a page
    Disappointing. I was looking forward to Felicia's story with Odessa Drake and Peter/Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

I’m curious, the girlfriend of Felicia in MC2 has appeared in 616?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlink View Post
    I’m curious, the girlfriend of Felicia in MC2 has appeared in 616?
    Not that I'm aware of, but more recent 616 canon has alluded to Felicia having had a girlfriend (or girlfriends) in the past.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, but more recent 616 canon has alluded to Felicia having had a girlfriend (or girlfriends) in the past.
    I think they did in her last run and who knows that may be who is wearing the iron cat armor. She seemed distraught in the early preview

I think they did in her last run and who knows that may be who is wearing the iron cat armor. She seemed distraught in the early preview
    Oh, yes. That would be a great twist. Heartbreaking for Felicia, but great.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVtUjl9aIAEX0Y-?format=jpg&name=large

Edge of Spider-Verse #1 variant by InHyuk Lee.
    Uh, the mask looks atrocious here lol.

Anyone good with Photoshop. This would be a good alternate Spinerette suit
    There's that guy in Deviantart who likes to fuse MJ with Felicia, so give it time and he'll come up with somethin' .

Honestly, this situation is far worse between Gwen/MJ than it'll ever be with Felicia/MJ lol.

Not the first time Felicia steals that line too, there's What if#20 vol 2where she returns and says the line (And it looks hella awkward):

and the MJ/Black Cat Beyond has Felicia saying it too, though MJ is on the cover and is annoyed at her doing so:

Felicia saying the line though, it's honestly awkward, I mean I've found the line itself to sound awkward in general, but it's fitting when MJ says it given her personality, Felicia saying it feels wrong because she's not one to flirt like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's similarities but they're not the same. I mean, MJ's not a criminal, she doesn't have Felicia's temper, she's more down-to-earth than Felicia, and MJ's more flirty than outright seductive.
    Depends on her mood lol.

Felicia is more of a tease when being seductive, MJ can do light flirting, or just be really straight forward over what she wants, and that's specially obvious when she randomly asks to have sex.

(Spectacular#75)

(ASM#300)

While the relationships are at different points, with Felicia not even actually dating Spidey yet and MJ being married to Peter, I'm pretty sure in general it's like this with both of 'em, since I remember Felicia just talking in a teasing way to get Spidey in the mood, meanwhile MJ's more like "Drop your pants" lol.

So yeah, even the "shared" personality traits they have, they go about it differently, which's good 'cause if they were too similar, then Spidey choosing one over the other would look hella arbitrary.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 06-21-2022 at 11:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Depends on her mood lol.

Felicia is more of a tease when being seductive, MJ can do light flirting, or just be really straight forward over what she wants, and that's specially obvious when she randomly asks to have sex.

(Spectacular#75)

(ASM#300)

While the relationships are at different points, with Felicia not even actually dating Spidey yet and MJ being married to Peter, I'm pretty sure in general it's like this with both of 'em, since I remember Felicia just talking in a teasing way to get Spidey in the mood, meanwhile MJ's more like "Drop your pants" lol.

So yeah, even the "shared" personality traits they have, they go about it differently, which's good 'cause if they were too similar, then Spidey choosing one over the other would look hella arbitrary.
    I recall one panel from the BND era where Felicia propositions Peter for sex while they are sneaking around in a ventilation system. Add in that she's often written as having much less of a filter compared to MJ and I think I'd say she's the more direct of the two.

Granted we are talking about characters that have been around for a long time and are written by the same people quite often. I'd say their traits are bound to rub off on each other, both from an in-universe and meta perspective.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Granted we are talking about characters that have been around for a long time and are written by the same people quite often. I'd say their traits are bound to rub off on each other, both from an in-universe and meta perspective.
    Which is precisely my point

Female characters are not interchangeable. Mary Jane and Felicia do not spent enough time together to borrow traits from each other, and even then, people’s baseline personalities do not change and neither MJ nor Felicia have been established as having weak personalities that lend them to borrow traits from others.

Write Felicia as Felicia.

Write MJ as MJ.

Stop treating them as plastic dolls whose heads can be removed and switched around just to make the preferred love interest avatar match the hole in the story. It’s misogynist as it implies women are fungible and can’t be fully formed distinct characters in their own right.

I feel like we're looking too much into a cover using a line as a bit of a gag...