Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

i find this whole thread odd since when i read as a kid i always felt marvel was pushing the hell out of monica. she was the most powerful avenger, secret wars was supposed to be all marvel's biggest characters and they put her in that (she had to be the newest, most unknown hero in that book), she went right to avengers chairman at a time when both thor and cap were on the team. maybe newer readers just don't remember it, but she was really pushed hard in the 80's.

Ultimate Member

Such classy competitors -- natural leaders, the both of them. Thanks for the posts, 616 -- very educational, and I love the shots of her with her natural (hair style).

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    i find this whole thread odd since when i read as a kid i always felt marvel was pushing the hell out of monica. she was the most powerful avenger, secret wars was supposed to be all marvel's biggest characters and they put her in that (she had to be the newest, most unknown hero in that book), she went right to avengers chairman at a time when both thor and cap were on the team. maybe newer readers just don't remember it, but she was really pushed hard in the 80's.
    I remember that too, but post 80s she got dropped like a bad habit.

From what I understand, once the writer who pushed her left, no one picked up the slack and she kind of faded into the background.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-06-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Sharapova is the Carol to Serena's Monica, inferior in every way yet still gets the marketing push. - shingi70 from neogaf forum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane D View Post
    Sharapova is the Carol to Serena's Monica, inferior in every way yet still gets the marketing push. - shingi70 from neogaf forum
    Lolololololololololololololol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Such classy competitors -- natural leaders, the both of them. Thanks for the posts, 616 -- very educational, and I love the shots of her with her natural (hair style).

I remember that too, but post 80s she got dropped like a bad habit.

From what I understand, once the writer who pushed her left, no one picked up the slack and she kind of faded into the background.
    Exactly.

Growing up, Marvel were pushing Monica hard and she even led the Avengers.

For reasons, Marvel just..stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Growing up, Marvel were pushing Monica hard and she even led the Avengers.

For reasons, Marvel just..stopped.
    I think it was just one of those instances where she was a specific writers "pet" character (Stern) and once he was off the book, her push ended.

Englehart was that way with Mantis, and Harras was sort of like that with Sersi. They got monster pushes with a specific writer who brought them in and had a real interest in using them... but it didn't stick.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

they should really rebrand Monica as a glamour girl of the MU, make her kind of a champagne sipping socialite, up her femininity, draw from old school Diana Ross in Mahogany aesthetics, and return her to the pink costume which by far was her best look EVAR. it would set her apart in a lot of ways, her kind of basking in the luxury of being a superhero that the world adores. An innocently nebulus wonder woman of sorts that occasionally has to get checked on her privellege as a super powered being.

Ultimate Member

Ironic post... given the fact that we now know Sharpova has been on that Super Serum for the past 10 years...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Ironic post... given the fact that we now know Sharpova has been on that Super Serum for the past 10 years...
    It's amusing that we're comparing real athletes to fictional characters. With all the sports scandals (including match fixing in tennis) in recent years, I find it hard to fit any of them into a superhero role...unless they're wife-beaters like Floyd Mayweather. That's Hank Pym right there.

BANNED

Because black characters aren't allowed to have those opportunities. It pains me to say it, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    It's amusing that we're comparing real athletes to fictional characters. With all the sports scandals (including match fixing in tennis) in recent years, I find it hard to fit any of them into a superhero role...unless they're wife-beaters like Floyd Mayweather. That's Hank Pym right there.
    Hank Pym is not a wife beater!
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Too tru....

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Hank Pym will assault anyone. Not just his wife!

I like Hank as a character, but he has hit his wife, and others, and built and unleashed deadly threats to beat up his friends and colleagues so he could save them and prove himself. Dude has a history of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    they should really rebrand Monica as a glamour girl of the MU, make her kind of a champagne sipping socialite
    Why? What's wrong with a working class, physically-capable, justice-minded superhero? And, where would this sudden influx of cash and cache come from?
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 03-08-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    I'll concede that perception had blown out of proportion over the years. But I don't think celebrity athletes can fill the shoes of fictional heroes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Hank Pym will assault anyone. Not just his wife!

I like Hank as a character, but he has hit his wife, and others, and built and unleashed deadly threats to beat up his friends and colleagues so he could save them and prove himself. Dude has a history of violence.

Why? What's wrong with a working class, physically-capable, justice-minded superhero? And, where would this sudden influx of cash and cache come from?
    Indeed. Didn't Monica work in harbor patrol in New Orleans? Or was she sucked into the good life like the corrupt Mayor Nagin?