Page 52 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556621021525521052 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I don't know what have you the idea that McGregor would not want to be behind a mask the whole film. These people know what they sign up for. And Black Mask is already confirmed to be a non boss in this film, and with the hard R rating K assume the will pull no punches.
    Actors want to be able to emote, and studios want to get the famous faces they've paid for on screen. Think back to pretty much every superhero movie you've seen, specifically the big emotional and/or climactic moments. Remember how many of those include some kind of contrivance so that the otherwise masked hero or villain doesn't wear his mask, or it's broken, or ripped off, or whatever? Downey Jr in Iron Man and Avengers, Dafoe, Grace and Maguire in Spider-Man, Keaton and Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, Smith in Suicide Squad, Holland and Keaton in Spider-Man Homecoming, Stan in Captain America The Winter Soldier, Boseman in Black Panther, and so on.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Ultimate Member

Well Black Mask as the villain helps explain the R-rating. He's a sadist who gets off on torturing people. I mean he kidnapped Catwoman's sister and brother in law in the comics, tortured the latter to death with power tools, then forced the former to EAT parts of her husband's corpse (including his eyeballs). She had a mental breakdown and needed to be institutionalized as a consequence of this.

He also brutally tortured Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, a teenage girl, during the War Games storyline as well.

If those aren't "R-rated" then I don't know what is.

More Ewan McGregor is always good, he and Mary Elisabeth Winstead are two of my favorite actors working right now. I'm honestly more excited to them than I am about the actual plotline teased so far.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Ultimate Member

Ah yes Ewan and Winstead in a film together. The press tour should be, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Actors want to be able to emote, and studios want to get the famous faces they've paid for on screen. Think back to pretty much every superhero movie you've seen, specifically the big emotional and/or climactic moments. Remember how many of those include some kind of contrivance so that the otherwise masked hero or villain doesn't wear his mask, or it's broken, or ripped off, or whatever? Downey Jr in Iron Man and Avengers, Dafoe, Grace and Maguire in Spider-Man, Keaton and Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, Smith in Suicide Squad, Holland and Keaton in Spider-Man Homecoming, Stan in Captain America The Winter Soldier, Boseman in Black Panther, and so on.
    I guess they could always make the mask expressive like in the Under the Red Hood movie, but I doubt they'll go in that direction.

I'm good as long as it's not a bondage gear mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well Black Mask as the villain helps explain the R-rating. He's a sadist who gets off on torturing people. I mean he kidnapped Catwoman's sister and brother in law in the comics, tortured the latter to death with power tools, then forced the former to EAT parts of her husband's corpse (including his eyeballs). She had a mental breakdown and needed to be institutionalized as a consequence of this.

He also brutally tortured Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, a teenage girl, during the War Games storyline as well.

Not that PG-13 movies haven't gotten away with depicting very sadistic and dangerous characters (looking at Heath Ledger's Joker).

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess they could always make the mask expressive like in the Under the Red Hood movie, but I doubt they'll go in that direction.

I'm good as long as it's not a bondage gear mask.
    What, you don't want to see the Gimp from Pulp Fiction as the main villain of a DC film? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Years of Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cap, Deadshot, Deadpool, etc constantly taking their masks off (in battle even!) tells me that when studios pay a lot of money for talent, they want the talent to be seen lol
    Tom Hardy kept his mask on 95% of the time in The Dark Knight Rises.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'm starting a new thread as the mods are closing the old DCEU thread to prevent server overloading long threads. Incidentally, it's fitting as the timing coincides with a point in WB/DC's movie timeline where they are course-correcting their movie universe and are even rebranding (though it isn't confirmed if the "Worlds of DC" moniker is official yet).

We are looking at a less interconnected movie universe, with diverse tonalities, and even non-continuity/Elseworlds-esque movies, with Joker being the first of them. The Hollywood Reporter breaks down why this new direction for DC Films is perfect for DC:

Why DC should stay true to being DC

An exciting time ahead for DC movie fans, with a refreshing slate of upcoming movies.
    I heard the dcmu was over and there starting over
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

Not necessarily. I mean, they'll likely go that way since it's the most well known incarnation of the character, but in his first appearances he was more of a rich wuss with a fixation on masks, and in Under the red hood and Arkham origins he's just a straight up mafioso with an OTT temper.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    That was 2013 Tom Hardy who had done mostly television and biggest film role was Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Everybody you named either had a partial mask or only took off their mask when they weren't fighting. C'mon bro. There's really no excuse to play a character who never takes off their mask if you're not willing to do that. None

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Finding one exception doesn't make what I said any less true. And if you want to get technical, Hardy was still able to emote with the mask on with how he used his eyes.

As someone else said, there's a reason why hardly any of these masked Superheroes finish the end battle with their masks intact. Look at Stark's new suit in Infinity War; why do you think his face was exposed during his fight with Thanos? He had enough nanites or whatever to stitch up his stab wound, but he couldn't cover his face? Was there a logical reason for Peter to ever be maskless while they were on Titan? How about SM2, when Peter is saving the train? In Suicide Squad, Will Smith wears his mask once while with the Squad, and for approximately 40 seconds. This happens because studios aren't paying Robert Downey Jr & Will Smith all that money just to keep their faces hidden rom the ticket buyers, for one thing. Secondly, it's for acting...in the comics, artists will draw subtle lines in masks to help give the sense of reaction to things; when Peter is stopping that train, how do you know he's struggling to stop it unless you can see his face? How do you know what Stark is feeling unless you can see his face in the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Everybody you named either had a partial mask or only took off their mask when they weren't fighting. C'mon bro. There's really no excuse to play a character who never takes off their mask if you're not willing to do that. None
    Actors want to work, just like we do. I think that's reason enough lol It's not always the actor (though sometimes, it certainly is), often time it's a directive from the director or even the studios themselves.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Retired

Tom Hardy must have done somethng before that Batman movie, because I remember a lot of buzz beforehand about the Tom Hardy in a Batman movie, like that's something special and so much anticipation for what he would do with the part. He must have done something before that movie that made these cinephiles giddy for his peformance. In the end, I thought it was not that much and not "Acting!" with all his lines being looped to make him understandable under the mask.

With Ewan McGregor he's done so much work that it doesn't really matter what happens with Black Mask--it's not going to overshadow him as an actor and it might improve his box office appeal. It's a risk worth taking at this stage in his career. Although, it's too bad he isn't going to play a heroic DC character with an inspirational arc. Then there would be a chance that Disney would want him back to play Obi-Wan Kenobi.

One thing that does bug me about a lot of Marvel characters is that their faces are completely covered. That's bad enough in comic books, where the artists are limited in showing facial expressions, but it's even worse in movies where you're not likely seeing the actor at all and it's just a double on screen, with the actor recording the lines in post. I don't think that would be the case with Black Mask as you can see his mouth and eyes. Heath Ledger was unrecognizable as the Joker and went against his type-casting as the handsome, blonde leading man--it's just tragic that he passed away without getting to have a full life and career--imagine what he might have done after that role had woken up the world to his acting range.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    He's a damn good actor is likely the reason for the casting.

I love it personally.
    With all due respect to Ewan, he isn't somebody I immediately think of when hearing/reading the name Black Mask.