Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Forcefields for everyone! sallyblevins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Yes. In Young X-Men, he slapped her around.
    Then, did not happen for me.
    That writer is the worst thing that happened to the x men in the last 2decades

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The thing about the criteria as it's currently laid out is that it doesn't say "mutant who has the most experience using this power," or "mutant who has done the most Epic Feats (TM) with this power" or anything of that nature. There's no seniority or past use component cleanly baked into the definition. It's just "any mutant whose dominant power is deemed to register or reach an undefinable upper limit." In theory you could have someone who's never used their powers classified as Omega with this definition if you can determine they have the capability. Bailey Hoskins wouldn't need to blow himself up to find out if he's Omega if there are ways to determine it in the same way it was possible to determine what his powers were.

There are potential "outs" to this situation though, depending on how it's actually determined in-universe. Maybe the method is flawed or prone to tampering. Maybe the character can hide it. Maybe people are lying.

If the criteria allowed for only one character per power then it would be a different story, but that's not the case.
    This is all true it isn't about feats, I mean we have Quentin as an omega over Rachel in telepathy and she casualty read the mind of all beings on earth! But here is the thing with lorna and magneto the panels from the previous page all state her powe could rival which is a possibility or when he was weakened rivals his own. He even tells her that through her he can surpass his limits. Now here is the thing about being omega they cannot be surpassed no matter what in their ability in terms of genetic potential in their power he saying he would surpass lorna's power level automatically disqualifies her. The truth is magneto is Marvel's magnetism charachter his daughter yes is an upper tier mutant but in truth it would take the sun falling and the moon Redding before she is written to be stronger than him in magnetism inherently. Rachel on the other hand has been stated to have practically unlimited psionic abilities her not being part of the lost baffles me that's why I think the AU theory is a factor or the fact that she had the pheonix whilst in contact with nimrod that gave her the omega level boost as Emma with the pheonix was stated to be an omega level threat. So that could be the case because a lot of what she did she had the echo. So that could be the case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sallyblevins View Post
    Then, did not happen for me.
    That writer is the worst thing that happened to the x men in the last 2decades
    Tell me about it! I and most storm fans hate his work... But unfortunately it's cannon.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I would say...yes.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Rachel was not the first to be stated to be an omega level mutant.

Nimrod had a classification system that took into account Von Rom and the Avengers who were class 1 contacts. The Classification system was threat level to this unit (Nimrod). Rachel was stated as an omega class contact to Nimrod when she had the Phoenix Force. It's threat level to Nimrod. It was never stated as in the omega level mutant sense like X-Men forever which was the first time the term was coined.

Both classification system are different. One is used to ascertain threat level to Nimrod the other is relevant to the highest display of power relative to mankind
    Exactly! Though I would argue an omega mutant is automatically a potential omega threat. But Rachel was deemed an omega threat when she had the pheonix force and latter it's echo. The problem is that mutants especially alphas are sooo powerful it is easy to make a case for any of them to be omega. That is why most writer's started giving the title to their faves willy billy. Yes mutants can become more powerful than the currently are they have very great unearthed potential. But an omega level mutant has not great but incalculable potential- which is for all purposes limitless. They are basically alpha mutants with no true cap to their power. We have mutants like Emma, rouge, synch, tempus, chamber and many more with very very high upper limits, but the upper limits are there. That is what separates them from omega.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    This is all true it isn't about feats, I mean we have Quentin as an omega over Rachel in telepathy and she casualty read the mind of all beings on earth! But here is the thing with lorna and magneto the panels from the previous page all state her powe could rival which is a possibility or when he was weakened rivals his own. He even tells her that through her he can surpass his limits. Now here is the thing about being omega they cannot be surpassed no matter what in their ability in terms of genetic potential in their power he saying he would surpass lorna's power level automatically disqualifies her. The truth is magneto is Marvel's magnetism charachter his daughter yes is an upper tier mutant but in truth it would take the sun falling and the moon Redding before she is written to be stronger than him in magnetism inherently. Rachel on the other hand has been stated to have practically unlimited psionic abilities her not being part of the lost baffles me that's why I think the AU theory is a factor or the fact that she had the pheonix whilst in contact with nimrod that gave her the omega level boost as Emma with the pheonix was stated to be an omega level threat. So that could be the case because a lot of what she did she had the echo. So that could be the case.
    The Nimrod classification is completely different from Xavier's classification system (which has been changed so many times). I can't speak to the dynamic and expressed statements between Magneto and Lorna but I would wager that she should be on par with him but she hasn't been pushed as much in the books. Whereas I can say that Rachel has done a number of things without the assistance of the Phoenix (full force or Echo). I would say that her elevated levels in the first encounter with Nimrod are solely power based and yes she was a huge threat to him. But sending Kate's astral self through time (as well as her own) - No Echo no Force. Sending her astral self through the entire universe right before Age of X hit- no Echo or Force. Creating a mini black hole - no Echo or Force. Rearranging her own dna through TK - no Echo or Force. Scanning the minds of every being on the planet - No Echo or Force or Cerebro. Beating down Thor with a TK hammer while breaking his mental defenses - no Echo no Force. Taking out most of Stryfe's army and all his blob creatures in one go - no Echo no Force. And before anyone tries it, similarly to Revolution Jean - Rachel had the Phoenix eye thingy but had no direct connection to the Force until she got the Echo in RAFToSE.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Lorna and Rachel had different manifestation of their powers over the years or have been externally enhanced or depowered. Maybe both haven't reached the point of supremacy and unlimited potential in any one skill? Does the criteria exclude inherited powers vs individual mutations, so Theresa, the Nathans, Rachel and Lorna are exluded? Rachel's unique mutation is chronoskimming, but she's not 'omega' level using it. I'd say Rachel is the most effective with her empathy, sensing fear while hunting mutants and making people feel feel so sorry for her.
    So far the only Omega Levels, who’s parents are mutants too are: Legion-Charles and Proteus-Moira.

Legion did inherit Charles’ telepathy (and more).

I’m not sure what Proteus inherited from Moira.

Still I guess we can say that Legion surpassed Xavier. There’s no real way to measure Proteus powers against Moira’s.

Funny that out of our triad of this current status quo: Charles, Magneto, and Moira. It seems weird Magneto is the only one out of the three with no Omega Level offspring, and Polaris is right there for the writer’s taking. (Rachel too).

Not being omega class might be a blessing as well. A non omega is less likely to use newly discovered abilities that fit a plot, but defies physics and are used just once. Non omega are not judged as not even trying when they lose a fight. Non omegas don't have a line of adversaries wanting to beat them up to prove how much of a threat they are, or kidnap them to use as a weapon of mass destruction. Its easier for a non omega to live a more 'normal' life without naysayers, saying their gifts are being wasted.

I think what it comes down to with Polaris is that a) she's always underestimated and undervalued at Marvel, and b) Lorna being Omega runs the risk of her overshadowing the men they tend to think of her as existing to be a supporting character of. The latter may be more subconscious in "not feeling right" than deliberate.

Hopefully that attitude is changing or will change.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    The Nimrod classification is completely different from Xavier's classification system (which has been changed so many times). I can't speak to the dynamic and expressed statements between Magneto and Lorna but I would wager that she should be on par with him but she hasn't been pushed as much in the books. Whereas I can say that Rachel has done a number of things without the assistance of the Phoenix (full force or Echo). I would say that her elevated levels in the first encounter with Nimrod are solely power based and yes she was a huge threat to him. But sending Kate's astral self through time (as well as her own) - No Echo no Force. Sending her astral self through the entire universe right before Age of X hit- no Echo or Force. Creating a mini black hole - no Echo or Force. Rearranging her own dna through TK - no Echo or Force. Scanning the minds of every being on the planet - No Echo or Force or Cerebro. Beating down Thor with a TK hammer while breaking his mental defenses - no Echo no Force. Taking out most of Stryfe's army and all his blob creatures in one go - no Echo no Force. And before anyone tries it, similarly to Revolution Jean - Rachel had the Phoenix eye thingy but had no direct connection to the Force until she got the Echo in RAFToSE.
    And yh those are all very great and powerful feats and all but still do not dictate weather or not she has omega level potential. As we previously stated it's not about feats then exodus wouldn't be omega level telekenetic and rouge would be on the list along with xavier. It's about inherent potential. And as of this moment xavier's definition of an omega is a mutant with undefinable upper limits which cannot be surpassed in any measurable way. And Rachel doesn't fit that. Like I said mutants have some extreme powerhouses beating thor and the like is well within the scope of some very high tier mutants. Hell manifold is a universal spatial manipulator and he is still not an omega mutant that's because his power is ultimately surpasable. In this current era lorna and Rachel are stated to be big guns and formidable telepaths. In terms of raw power I would say Rachel is up there with xavier and Emma but unless a retcon and that would be very soon she is still not omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Not being omega class might be a blessing as well. A non omega is less likely to use newly discovered abilities that fit a plot, but defies physics and are used just once. Non omega are not judged as not even trying when they lose a fight. Non omegas don't have a line of adversaries wanting to beat them up to prove how much of a threat they are, or kidnap them to use as a weapon of mass destruction. Its easier for a non omega to live a more 'normal' life without naysayers, saying their gifts are being wasted.
    Yep being an omega there is a very high pressure to be the best. Even though one might actually suck at their power. Plus non omegas are used more in battle and any battle with an omega automatically nerfs them to make the battle interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think what it comes down to with Polaris is that a) she's always underestimated and undervalued at Marvel, and b) Lorna being Omega runs the risk of her overshadowing the men they tend to think of her as existing to be a supporting character of. The latter may be more subconscious in "not feeling right" than deliberate.

Hopefully that attitude is changing or will change.
    I am gonna say it here and now there are too many men on that list and not enough people of color on that list. Also there are too many beautiful mutants on that list. It sends a message a dammaging one at that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    I am gonna say it here and now there are too many men on that list and not enough people of color on that list. Also there are too many beautiful mutants on that list. It sends a message a dammaging one at that.
    Who would you suggest adding though?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who would you suggest adding though?
    I would like Rachel reinstated Quentin pushed out also add Lila chenney and Darwin and if possibly leech

Should Dazzler be added to the list? Wasn't her ability to absorb sound stated to be limitless?

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Should Dazzler be added to the list? Wasn't her ability to absorb sound stated to be limitless?
    Gabriel Summers though
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Wait really?! When I need to see my girl get validated.

....,......lol