Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Shouldn't earth-two superman be distinctly different from mainstream superman?

Since, the earth-two is back thanks to Doomsday clock. Should earth two superman be written like the main one and with the same abilities. Wouldn't it be better that goldenage guy be distinctly different character and written like that. Why should he be written with same powers, personality and background.. Etc.Wouldn't it be better if that superman kept the old pulp/noir flavors, than the standard superhero trappings? Would you mind if that superman just leapt 1/8th a mile, faster than a locomotive with skin that can be penetrated by bursting shell with explanation being just his physiology? (starting powerlevel at the very least. Powerscaling gets leveled up automatically. It's a blessing and a curse)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Since, the earth-two is back thanks to Doomsday clock. Should earth two superman be written like the main one and with the same abilities. Wouldn't it be better that goldenage guy be distinctly different character and written like that. Why should he be written with same powers, personality and background.. Etc.Wouldn't it be better if that superman kept the old pulp/noir flavors, than the standard superhero trappings? Would you mind if that superman just leapt 1/8th a mile, faster than a locomotive with skin that can be penetrated by bursting shell with explanation being just his physiology? (starting powerlevel at the very least. Powerscaling gets leveled up automatically. It's a blessing and a curse)
    The Earth-2 Superman's characterization and power levels were often inconsistent. Some creators portrayed him very much like the Seigel & Shuster original but older, while others simply made him exactly the same as the main Superman, but with white temples.

If they're going to have an Earth-2 Superman, I'd rather they stick with the Seigel & Shuster version, as that's far more interesting. I'd love to see the young jeans & t-shirt Superman meet the older Earth-2 Superman. That'd be a fun pairing.

Astonishing Member

Well the Golden Age spans the early late 30's all the way up to the early to mid 50's. I'd definitely be perfectly fine with sticking to the Siegel and Shuster baseline, it's a period of Superman I really love but if I'm being honest my ideal Golden Age Superman was to do some real long form storytelling in that era dating back to the beginning and documenting his explosion in powerlevels and the building of the different sectors of his mythology. A timeline where he got to do what he was advertised to do and actually change the world. Eventually he and the rest of the Golden Age heroes would end up creating a kind of paradise world and then I guess he'd leave for a while to help people in other parts of the universe. When he returns to Earth he'd come back to all the new problems that spawned in it and that would continue his never ending battle.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I would prefer the Earth 2 Superman be closer to his roots to keep him distinctive.
    Superman Smashes the Klan is a great example of a Golden Age-ish Superman whose power levels increased in the story, and it made sense.

Extraordinary Member

I prefer to remember him at his peak, smashing the Anti-Monitor for the win in COIE. A revival would for me be best with THAT Superman. He's already distinctive enough, with a different story than the main one.

Fantastic Member

Yes!! He should be on the same power level as the main superman. A watered down superman is under appealing!! They did that with the truth arc, it was awful!! I purchased the first two issues from that arc, after reading them I threw them away! I stopped reading superman after that!! Until his power level went back up!!

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Yes!! He should be on the same power level as the main superman. A watered down superman is under appealing!! They did that with the truth arc, it was awful!! I purchased the first two issues from that arc, after reading them I threw them away! I stopped reading superman after that!! Until his power level went back up!!
    Powerlevels will naturally creep,regardless.That is a non-issue as i stated in my original post. But, the issue is the explanation for powers and how the character itself is written. Having two superman with same modus operandi, working style, ethics and philosophy is redundant. I want that guy to be written distinctly different from the mainstreaming boyscout.That guy should be atleast feel like s&s superman.

Fantastic Member

Powerlevels will naturally creep,regardless.That is a non-issue as i stated in my original post. But, the issue is the explanation for powers and how the character itself is written. Having two superman with same modus operandi, working style, ethics and philosophy is redundant. I want that guy to be written distinctly different from the mainstreaming boyscout.That guy should be atleast feel like s&s superman.
    Being the boyscout is one of the appealing things about Superman!! But I get your point!! They should be different!!

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Being the boyscout is one of the appealing things about Superman!! But I get your point!! They should be different!!
    Not for this superman,it ain't . Keep the moral authority, savior, naive, farmboy .. Etc nonsense to the mainstream one and away from earth two superman.Bringing all that baggage to earth two superman doesn't fit the character and would sink the character, in my opinion. As said, that superman is supposed to be modelled after siegel and shuster's superman vision . He has fire and passion. He is the man of action. He is swashbuckling high adventure champion of the the little guy. Stories should centered around superman-the strongman vigilante from space. Not clark kent, not kal el.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. I'm not convinced they'll even do anything with him. He's already distinct in that he's older, has more experience, and has a different "S". Even in the E-2 universe he was more like the New 52 in that he didn't have all of his powers at once. If we're just going for the "Superman but older and part of the JSA" we could just make the KC Superman E-2 Superman. He meets all those criteria. He even has a different "S". He's also more powerful than his mainstream counterpart.

I think the whole point of the ending of DDC was to show that those universes are still out there. Not necessarily that they'll use them. And I'd prefer they not if they're just going to screw them up. Which I don't trust current DC management not to do. Let them be their own thing. What few E-2 Superman stories I read, he seemed much more mellow than his E-1 counterpart. If you're looking for a tough guy he-man who put wife beaters through the wall, they had long since dropped that by the seventies. Older Supermen always get portrayed as more reserved than their mainstream counterparts.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. I'm not convinced they'll even do anything with him. He's already distinct in that he's older, has more experience, and has a different "S". Even in the E-2 universe he was more like the New 52 in that he didn't have all of his powers at once. If we're just going for the "Superman but older and part of the JSA" we could just make the KC Superman E-2 Superman. He meets all those criteria. He even has a different "S". He's also more powerful than his mainstream counterpart.

I think the whole point of the ending of DDC was to show that those universes are still out there. Not necessarily that they'll use them. And I'd prefer they not if they're just going to screw them up. Which I don't trust current DC management not to do. Let them be their own thing. What few E-2 Superman stories I read, he seemed much more mellow than his E-1 counterpart. If you're looking for a tough guy he-man who put wife beaters through the wall, they had long since dropped that by the seventies. Older Supermen always get portrayed as more reserved than their mainstream counterparts.
    I have no hope they will. This was just questioning the tendency of writers to write that superman like the mainstream one. Being older isn't a distinction. If a character acts like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like one(you know the rest) . Kingdom come superman is largely the mainstream supeman himself, His lois just died is all.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

One thing can be sold two different ways and get different results. For whatever quirky details or pitches they use, I would just imagine "the old Superman" probably isn't going to work for a lot of people who aren't already into the character and maybe only half of them at that.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Those differences could relate as well to the difference in personalities between PG and SG. The former being a bit bolder.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-22-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

Earth Two Superman, as originally portrayed in the 1970's and 80's, actually wasn't a whole lot different from Earth One Superman. Sure, he looked older (which was down to the grey temples) and was technically supposed to be the same guy from Action Comics # 1, but otherwise he wasn't substantially different. Yeah, he was married to Lois, but that's always a possible (even likely) future for any version of Superman.

Yes, being the Siegal/Shuster Superman who tears down slums and bashes up wife-beaters was part of his backstory, but he had long since moved on from that phase and become a classic superhero, with the same attitude and approach as any other mainstream incarnation of the character.

Earth Two Superman was essentially the same Superman, but older, when you overlooked the superficial differences. Power Girl on the other hand, while technically being the same person as Supergirl, was actually a very different character, with a distinct personality and look, and a slightly different backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Earth Two Superman, as originally portrayed in the 1970's and 80's, actually wasn't a whole lot different from Earth One Superman. Sure, he looked older (which was down to the grey temples) and was technically supposed to be the same guy from Action Comics # 1, but otherwise he wasn't substantially different. Yeah, he was married to Lois, but that's always a possible (even likely) future for any version of Superman.

Yes, being the Siegal/Shuster Superman who tears down slums and bashes up wife-beaters was part of his backstory, but he had long since moved on from that phase and become a classic superhero, with the same attitude and approach as any other mainstream incarnation of the character.

Earth Two Superman was essentially the same Superman, but older, when you overlooked the superficial differences. Power Girl on the other hand, while technically being the same person as Supergirl, was actually a very different character, with a distinct personality and look, and a slightly different backstory.
    Well, then what's the point of having an earth two or calling the guy goldenage superman?