Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not sure about Simon, but I can easily see Jessica being one of the two GLs, especially if Hal and John are rumored to be off-limits due to the DCEU.
    I think the TV show is taking the place of the movie, so that's why I think it's Hal and John.

Would they really use the two youngest GL's for a decade-spanning series? Neither has any major relationship with Sinestro, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the TV show is taking the place of the movie, so that's why I think it's Hal and John.

Would they really use the two youngest GL's for a decade-spanning series? Neither has any major relationship with Sinestro, either.
    It could still be Kyle - the 90's was decades ago y'know...

Could actually be interesting to have Kyle as the elder statesman. He could be a young guy at first and then the second half of the season takes place a decade or so later where the other Lantern comes along that Kyle mentors as a now-veteran GL. We've never seen him in a role like that before.

Maybe it's Hal and Kyle and the show is separated in eras, with Hal at the peak of the Corps. and Kyle with it almost completely wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It could still be Kyle - the 90's was decades ago y'know...
    Could be, but I hope not. I have never been a fan of Kyle's. I don't know why just don't like him.

Hal and John for the movie, Jessica and Kyle for HBO Max! That combination works and honestly Jessica is definitely popular enough to support a show. She has more outside media appearances than the other Lanterns minus Hal and John.
    Nope, I definitely think it will be a mistake to have Jessica, she is barely known to comic fans , let alone being known to mainstream audience. The female lantern push I get it, but Jessica Cruz is not ready yet, she is no Captain Marvel [marvel]. Jessica is too new, she doesnt have the history and exposure the other lanterns have had for decades. They are putting 100+ million into this, I just dont see it smart banking on a character thats so new and unknown to masses.

Im not so sure the movies are even still on the table anymore, they may just decide this Franchise just doesnt work in movies and could work better on TV. At least it would require 100s of millions to make on silver screen, but the dilemna is Green Lantern is not as mainstream as Superman or Batman. It could be.

In any case I think the buddy cop premise this is rumored to have , may work with 2 male characters better.

Maybe it's Hal and Kyle and the show is separated in eras,
    Why?. dont know how that would work....flashbacks and flashfowards?

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Nope, I definitely think it will be a mistake to have Jessica, she is barely known to comic fans , let alone being known to mainstream audience. The female lantern push I get it, but Jessica Cruz is not ready yet, she is no Captain Marvel [marvel]. Jessica is too new, she doesnt have the history and exposure the other lanterns have had for decades. They are putting 100+ million into this, I just dont see it smart banking on a character thats so new and unknown to masses.

Im not so sure the movies are even still on the table anymore, they may just decide this Franchise just doesnt work in movies and could work better on TV. At least it would require 100s of millions to make on silver screen, but the dilemna is Green Lantern is not as mainstream as Superman or Batman. It could be.

In any case I think the buddy cop premise this is rumored to have , may work with 2 male characters better.
    Doesn’t really matter what is comic fans think, or whether a character has 2 years worth of stories or 2 decades, the general audience typically won’t care. Plus less comics means less expectations on how a character should be/act. Jessica has everything going for her for modern audiences and will likely get the live action treatment sooner rather than later. She’s only been around for 5+ years and already has more outside media exposure than Kyle, Guy and Simon who came before her.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

No offense, but I'm tired of hearing about what the "general audience" thinks or wants. The general audience doesn't support those characters, we do. The general audience wouldn't give a damn if DC closed its doors tomorrow. With that being said, I do agree that characters not being around for long isn't exactly a problem when it comes to adapting them for outside media. They would just "borrow" something from the more established carriers of the same mantle and suddenly the character would have a lore and universe built around them.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-25-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Speaking in general, it's interesting to constantly see people's lack of imagination as a criticism of a project's premise. Just because one can't imagine something being good based on very little information doesn't mean that it can't be. The people paid to write and create these shows do and that's why they're paid to do it. Do they always succeed? No, but it's silly to me to for any of us to dismiss something based on how you'd imagine it playing out. In other words, "I can't imagine that being good" doesn't equal, "that's a crappy idea."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    It was ASSUMED mainstream audience did know who the following where-

Blade
    Static
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Miles Morales
    Ms Marvel
    Squirrel Girl
    Black Panther
    Runaways
    Cap Marvel (Carol)
    Cloak & Dagger
    Doom Patrol
    American Gods
    Constantine
    The Walking Dead

9 movies
    11 tv shows
    4 Oscars
    2 New York Times Best sellers

Remember it took Static 7 years to get his own tv show. His comic book was Milestone's WORST seller.
    It took Kate Kane 16 to get hers.

Neither would have those if studios concerned themselves with comic book fans.

Look at all the comic books outside of DC/Marvel getting movies and tv shows. Image's Bitter Root couldn't get the 5th issue out before they got a movie deal. Paper Girls is getting a show and they only lasted 29 issues.

What folks forget is those trades do end up somewhere like libraries. People do still read.

Jess is in DC Superhero Girls which is widely popular. People know who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jess is in DC Superhero Girls which is widely popular. People know who she is.
    She's a fairly new character so I wouldn't call her exactly on the map because a kid's show features her
    Kyle
    Hal
    John

Those are the Lanterns that people should at least be somewhat aware of as they get name dropped and featured in other media the most

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    She's a fairly new character so I wouldn't call her exactly on the map because a kid's show features her
    Kyle
    Hal
    John

Those are the Lanterns that people should at least be somewhat aware of as they get name dropped and featured in other media the most
    How is Kyle featured more than Jessica? She's a regular on a tv show (even if it's a kids show - kids know her, and probably some of the parents by extension) and was heavily featured in a JL animated movie. How has Kyle been mentioned or featured in media other than one Suerman episode decades ago and being in the background once in awhile?

BANNED

Might be kilowog and Tomar Re.