Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I still don't think the marriage is coming back.
    Yeah it wasn’t just him who wanted it gone. You’d need to get Lowe out of the editorial seat as well, maybe kick Breevort out to boot too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah it wasn’t just him who wanted it gone. You’d need to get Lowe out of the editorial seat as well, maybe kick Breevort out to boot too.
    I have a feeling Breevort potentially might be out next, but I don't think Lowe is going away anytime soon ngl

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Or maybe now that he's gone we have some changes happening lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Was it Joe or Lowe that had the "everything back into the box" mentality for comic runs?
    I feel like that's sometimes more of a writer thing than an editorial thing (I know Bendis or even Hickman have talked about it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    He wasn't doing too much since Alonso took over as EIC anyways.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if this will effect anything considering his involvement (or lack there of) with Marvel after he stopped being EIC.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I still don't think the marriage is coming back.
    Going by what Slott has said during his own run, he can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Anti-Marriage" stance was never exclusive to just Quesada. There seemed to be shared stance across Marvel's leadership. Add that with the fact that the comics had been actively trying to get around the marriage since the 90s. The main motivation behind the "Ben was the original, Peter was the clone" plot twist was so that they could have their single Spider-Man again lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Going by what Slott has said during his own run, he can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Anti-Marriage" stance was never exclusive to just Quesada. There seemed to be shared stance across Marvel's leadership. Add that with the fact that the comics had been actively trying to get around the marriage since the 90s. The main motivation behind the "Ben was the original, Peter was the clone" plot twist was so that they could have their single Spider-Man again lol
    I remember this. I totally forgot that it went back that far!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I remember this. I totally forgot that it went back that far!
    I remember reading in an interview (I forget who it was from) that writers started talking about how to get rid of it almost as soon as it happened.

Even Quesada told Spencer that he could get Peter and MJ back together again if he wanted, the stance was always against them being married.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even Quesada told Spencer that he could get Peter and MJ back together again if he wanted, the stance was always against them being married.
    That stance is now waining

BANNED

A Brand New Day awaits... (couldn't resist).

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/pete...ays-dan-slott/
    Dan Slott said that Peter and Mary Jane could be together and Peter might even defeat Mephisto, but the marriage would not come back. He also did not give a reason why the marriage could not be restored. He said we wouldn't understand (?). So when I read the first issue of Spencer run, I wasn't surprised (but I was glad). But I was surprised when I read ASM #29 where Peter wanted to propose to MJ. I would have thought it was nothing serious if it came up once, but Peter's desire to propose to Mary Jane has come up a few times. ASM #44-45, Sinister War #1. It didn't feel like bait, it looked serious. The existence of this plot would already contradict Slott's words.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I give him a lot of flack because of OMD but he did revitalize Marvel. He took a lot of chances on different books and it paid off. That said, this does not mean OMD is going away anytime soon or ever. But at this point if I want to read decent stories, I'll reread the early 2000's books I enjoyed.
    Good riddance. I will not miss him in the least. All we need is the rest marriage haters to go.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    It didn't feel like bait, it looked serious. The existence of this plot would already contradict Slott's words.
    To be fair, Slott has often said 'writers lie', he could have been trying to spoil Spencer's run by saying the opposite to drum up hype for the run. Alternatively, he probably knew the run would ultimately end in Sins Past being reversed, not OMD, so he was having fun bringing everyone's hopes up to where they needed to be knowing the rug was going to be pulled.

Spectacular Member

If only Marvel could retire Quesada's negative ideas with him but keep his good ones.

Marvel had made several efforts to get rid of the marriage. Quesada's was successful.

Fans of the marriage seem to think that when their people get in, it'll be back, but they might not get the right combination.

At this point, the better strategy would be to make the argument for why bringing back the marriage is a good idea in the current comics environment. There are different arguments now with Tom Holland seven years into his version of Spider-Man, Ben Reilly back and Miles Morales as an alternative young Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets