Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default New Avengers #29 - Spoilers

- The issue begins in the past in Necropolis. The Illuminati are standing over Black Swan's broken prison. The issue flashes forward to the Illuminati meeting up with the Avengers where Reed tells T'Challa he's going to tell the Avengers everything. Reed tells the Avengers some of his theories and Captain America notes that everything Reed has done has ended in a man's murder but Reed states that wasn't his intention. Hawkeye asks T'Challa if he got what he wanted to which T'Challa replies that his country is lying in smoldering ruin and that he didn't really get anything he wanted.

- Reed notes that there are only two dozen universes left and that they are all out of time.

- Elsewhere, Doom and Owen Reece appear in a blank space. Doom constructs a machine that opens up a doorway for Reece and they both go inside.

- The Avengers ask if Reed has a plan and what they've been doing all this time but T'Challa replies they've been running from their friends. Captain America asks exactly why the Illuminati haven't done anything besides all the theories and running experiments.

- Reed replies that they had actually tried several things. They tried using a cosmic cube to create another planet for a planetary exodus but unfortunately one of the stars they picked experienced an early death and the cosmic cube was destroyed. The Illuminati even tried reaching out to Galactus to arrange a meeting with Celestials but after some progress they all simply disappeared. They also tried multiversal solutions with the Captain Britain Corps but that ended disastrously. T'Challa mentions they were other attempts, we see Franklin Richards strapped in a machine with Reed supervising him but this also failed.

- Sunspot says they should try and find the cause of the whole thing if they cant find solutions. Reed menitons that Hank Pym is back. Pym says he met the Ivory Kings, the Ivory Kings are THE BEYONDERS.

Another solid issue from a fascinating series. I like that Hickman finally addressed the issue of other options being explored by the team.

PS- Lets avoid the circular arguments that dominate these threads and lets keep things on topic. Thank you.

Amazing Member

Default New Avengers 29 *spoilers*

We pick up right after the events of the last issue of Time Runs Out with them back in Wakanda.

Only 22 universes remain after a massive collapse of universes.

Reed and T'Challa explain they went through many options to stop the incursions including building a cosmic cube and Exodus planets.

Reed also states there will probably be no more incursions, until the last one.

Pym was sent out 8 months ago to find the cause of it all, and he found the Ivory Kings, the Beyonders.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeherald View Post
    We pick up right after the events of the last issue of Time Runs Out with them back in Wakanda.

Only 22 universes remain after a massive collapse of universes.

Reed and T'Challa explain they went through many options to stop the incursions including building a cosmic cube and Exodus planets.

Reed also states there will probably be no more incursions, until the last one.

Pym was sent out 8 months ago to find the cause of it all, and he found the Ivory Kings, the Beyonders.
    Just read it.

Y-y-y-y-y-e-s-s!

Question is, when are we gonna see the Beyonder we all know and love?

Great issue the only problem was the art.

I do wish we got to see the illuminati's attempts in the book not in one panel flashbacks

The beyonders look groovy
    We need better comics

One extra thing about this issue: it confirmed that Shuri died.

This issue went a long way in filling gaps. Especially in the case of the Illuminati. Man, these 8 months have SUCKED for them.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    - The issue begins in the past in Necropolis. The Illuminati are standing over Black Swan's broken prison. The issue flashes forward to the Illuminati meeting up with the Avengers where Reed tells T'Challa he's going to tell the Avengers everything. Reed tells the Avengers some of his theories and Captain America notes that everything Reed has done has ended in a man's murder but Reed states that wasn't his intention. Hawkeye asks T'Challa if he got what he wanted to which T'Challa replies that his country is lying in smoldering ruin and that he didn't really get anything he wanted.

- Reed notes that there are only two dozen universes left and that they are all out of time.

- Elsewhere, Doom and Owen Reece appear in a blank space. Doom constructs a machine that opens up a doorway for Reece and they both go inside.

- The Avengers ask if Reed has a plan and what they've been doing all this time but T'Challa replies they've been running from their friends. Captain America asks exactly why the Illuminati haven't done anything besides all the theories and running experiments.

- Reed replies that they had actually tried several things. They tried using a cosmic cube to create another planet for a planetary exodus but unfortunately one of the stars they picked experienced an early death and the cosmic cube was destroyed. The Illuminati even tried reaching out to Galactus to arrange a meeting with Celestials but after some progress they all simply disappeared. They also tried multiversal solutions with the Captain Britain Corps but that ended disastrously. T'Challa mentions they were other attempts, we see Franklin Richards strapped in a machine with Reed supervising him but this also failed.

- Sunspot says they should try and find the cause of the whole thing if they cant find solutions. Reed menitons that Hank Pym is back. Pym says he met the Ivory Kings, the Ivory Kings are THE BEYONDERS.

Another solid issue from a fascinating series. I like that Hickman finally addressed the issue of other options being explored by the team.

PS- Lets avoid the circular arguments that dominate these threads and lets keep things on topic. Thank you.
    Love it. So it's confirmed, the Beyonders are involved. So, next issue perhaps we'll see Mr. Beyonder himself.

Cool to see Doom and Owen gaining insights so far denied to the hero clan.

Less than 2 dozen. For all the soul-searching and risk-taking, they weren't able to save the hundreds of thousands left. Those universes, at least, were out of their control, because some bozo or bozos were pulling the strings all along.

Duped.

Good story, with sufficient narrative to satisfy, and unanswered questions to get excited about.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    One extra thing about this issue: it confirmed that Shuri died.

This issue went a long way in filling gaps. Especially in the case of the Illuminati. Man, these 8 months have SUCKED for them.
    Yeah, looking at it closely, things have really sucked for the Illuminati.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

The art was great. I also love how everyone has beards.

There seems to be a character getting aged up to match the movieverse?

Sad about Franklin, but I guess the reboot can fix that.

Solid issue. The Doom subplot continues to be interesting and I wish we had a bit more panel time devoted to that. The art is kind of rough but I think it works for the tone of the story.

Disappointed about Shuri dying. Was hoping that wasn't the case.

I think a valid criticism is asking for more of these other solutions to be shown in the book more like after Infinity. Instead of showing other worlds so much maybe show these solutions and then jump to the Great Society arc.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Love it. So it's confirmed, the Beyonders are involved. So, next issue perhaps we'll see Mr. Beyonder himself.

Cool to see Doom and Owen gaining insights so far denied to the hero clan.

Less than 2 dozen. For all the soul-searching and risk-taking, they weren't able to save the hundreds of thousands left. Those universes, at least, were out of their control, because some bozo or bozos were pulling the strings all along.

Duped.

Good story, with sufficient narrative to satisfy, and unanswered questions to get excited about.
    Haven't made it to the store yet... so, is that less than two dozen Earths, or less than two dozen universes, period? And if it's the latter, does Reed mention what's been happening to the universes whose Earths were destroyed and therefore weren't supposed to be subject to Incursions? Because you'd think the latter point would be of interest in deciding how you want to respond to that last Incursion.

If Earthless universes are getting destroyed/eaten by a secondary process of elimination anyway, and ones that have been blowing up the other Earth get the whole dying stars thing, then I can see the argument that there's no point in even considering blowing the other Earth as the Cabal has been doing when all it will do is slightly delay the destruction of both universes.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Did they kill Franklin?!

Also interesting that the Beyonders are a race, not just one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Solid issue. The Doom subplot continues to be interesting and I wish we had a bit more panel time devoted to that. The art is kind of rough but I think it works for the tone of the story.

Disappointed about Shuri dying. Was hoping that wasn't the case.

I think a valid criticism is asking for more of these other solutions to be shown in the book more like after Infinity. Instead of showing other worlds so much maybe show these solutions and then jump to the Great Society arc.
    Yes, exactly, up until now, not only have we just been told that they were trying stuff other than blowing up Earths, we hadn't even been told any details on that... leaving many readers with the sense that they weren't really trying anything else. Even now, it sounds like it's more tell than show, but if even a little bit of this had been sprinkled through the earlier parts of the arc, it would have served to show that the Illuminati were truly conflicted and tortured over this, and the panels or tales of their failures would have served to show the futility of their struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    The art was great. I also love how everyone has beards.

There seems to be a character getting aged up to match the movieverse?

Nah that's just Walker's art where everyone looks 30 years older and Carol looks like Super Saiyen 3 Goku.
    We need better comics

Mighty Member

I haven't been following these threads much, so forgive me if this has been addressed already. Where is Future Franklin in all this? We saw in Fantastic Four that he's willing to travel back in time to fix things. And it's not like Hickman wants us to forget him; Cap met him on his future foray. I can understand young Franklin not being able to hack it, but his future self is nearly omnipotent, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Nah that's just Walker's art where everyone looks 30 years older and Carol looks like Super Saiyen 3 Goku.
    I can't unsee that with Carol now. Thanks.

But with Walker's art it does give everyone an aged and worn kind of look. Which works with the problem they are facing.