33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 39.39%
  • No

16 48.48%
  • Only if different creative talent were in charge

4 12.12%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Here's an concern for me. Let's say they'd go for it, make a cartoon where young Superman is gay. I think that may be unfair/cheap for LGBT viewers. So kids who are LGBT watch it, and sorta latch on the character because they relate or because it makes them feel ok to be different. But then find out that every other version of Superman is a straight. Just imagine how let down, they'd feel. I think its better to use actual LGBT characters to represent the LGBT community.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Here's an concern for me. Let's say they'd go for it, make a cartoon where young Superman is gay. I think that may be unfair/cheap for LGBT viewers. So kids who are LGBT watch it, and sorta latch on the character because they relate or because it makes them feel ok to be different. But then find out that every other version of Superman is a straight. Just imagine how let down, they'd feel. I think its better to use actual LGBT characters to represent the LGBT community.
    Plus, it's not like the Legion doesn't already have canon LGBT couples, with Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    The solution to this as I see it is more stories where Superman is gay, or bisexual, or pansexual, etc. There's a Multiverse to to work with.

Having a show like this could help with that, sort of the first step.

That's why I made this a matter of whether people this the show is worth existing, and not making this a matter of this show existing at the expense of other shows. It comes down to whether people would be cool with introducing this to the Superverse, and letting it have whatever impact it could have.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 08-31-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Edit: nevermind, gonna mull it over some more.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 08-31-2017 at 04:11 PM.

I think Superman is for everyone, of every gender, every race, every creed, every sexual orientation. Because he acts as if he's for everyone. All as the light-skinned, blue-eyed, heterosexual alien he's always been. None of that has ever stopped people of all walks of life latching onto him before. Hence I never see the point in these types of changes in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

As long as it's treated as it'sown thing and we don't try to synergize with the main comic Superman then yeah I'd be fine with it.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The solution to this as I see it is more stories where Superman is gay. There's a Multiverse to to work with.

Having a show like this could help with that, sort of the first step.

That's why I made this a matter of whether people this the show is worth existing, and not making this a matter of this show existing at the expense of other shows. It comes down to whether people would be cool with introducing this to the Superverse, and letting it have whatever impact it could have.
    I'm curious, should we be thinking that this is a show about the Legion or a show about a Superman and Brainiac 5 in a relationship?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious, should we be thinking that this is a show about the Legion or a show about a Superman and Brainiac 5 in a relationship?
    Show about the Legion, the Superboy/Brainiac 5 relationship would be just be one of the things explored, and the ending relationship for both characters.

I guess, think of it like the Young Justice cartoon. Things like Wally/Artemis and Miss Martian/Superboy were important parts of the show, but they were part of a larger story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    As long as it's treated as it'sown thing and we don't try to synergize with the main comic Superman then yeah I'd be fine with it.
    There wouldn't be a deliberate attempt at synergy.

But, if the show comes to fruition, becomes the most viewed incarnation of Superman for a new generation, then somewhere down the line DC could introduce it to the main continuity. Sort of like they did with Superman/Wonder Woman because there incarnations of the character that were together, and in some cases the relationship was teased in past comics.

It doesn't mean it will happen, or that if were to happen that it would last, but greenlighting the show makes it a possibility going into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Show about the Legion, the Superboy/Brainiac 5 relationship would be just be one of the things explored, and the ending relationship for both characters.

I guess, think of it like the Young Justice cartoon. Things like Wally/Artemis and Miss Martian/Superboy were important parts of the show, but they were part of a larger story.
    Ah, okay, got it .

Incredible Member

Yes, I would approve.

Mostly I just want more LOSH, but showing Superman, the ultimate symbol of strength and justice, as part of the LGBT community would be great if you ask me.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 08-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Dude, I'd watch the everloving crap out of this. I watched Legion of Super-Heroes like crazy when it was on Kids WB. I must've been twelve and thirteen at the time. I've been using the obvious ship with Brainy to argue that Kal-El is bisexual ever since.

I'm against the premise of Superman ever having a One True Love, and the prospect of a show dedicated to exploring a decidedly non-mainstream ship makes me happy. Lois is still the love interest in the live action movies and the current comics, Brainy can have a cartoon show, maybe Diana can stay the love interest in the animated movies, etc.

More importantly though, the premise of more Legion of Super-Heroes makes me happy all on its own. Even if Clark's working in Metropolis, the mere existence of a boyfriend living in the future means he'll be going back and forth, and that means more Saturn Girl, more Lightning Lad, more Legion- and with the added bonus of Lois, Jimmy, Luthor and all them joining in in the Metropolis episodes!

I am on board! Sign me the hell up!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Sometimes I wish I had been better at reading subtext when I was a kid (though even then I probably wouldn't have seen as much as others did on the whole Supes/Brainy thing) .

I don't think LOSH is a hard sell.Kids/teenagers from the future having superpowers is a very neat idea.Kids do not care for quality.Just a cool show with cool characters.Check out any recent variation of a good cartoon.Powerpuff Girls or Teen Titans Go!These are a major step down from their previous shows.But the fact that these are running indicates kids don't care much for the quality.Shows shall be fun.

LOSH is really fun.Teenagers with superpowers have always worked.I loved X Men Evolution more than the X-Men of the 90s.Spider-man is the single most popular hero in the world.(Atleast among kids).

Focus on newer characters whom we have not seen.Give LGBT characters their chance to shine.I would love that.Why shall one thrust big names every time?Everywhere?It is not like Superman is very popular among kids like Spider-Man.His role is important in LOSH history but i feel it is better to keep him to the minimum,kind of a guest character.He takes away the focus from other characters.It is better to have Supergirl in this role.She can do everything that Superboy does and is an actual teenager in most incarnations.She doesn't have the baggage of being part of the DC Trinity.

Pairing Superboy with Braniac 5 has even deeper implications.If he had a relationship with Braniac 5 what happens when he meets Braniac when he grows up?He had a relationship with his descendant in the future.It is super weird and has creepy vibes.

Even if you disagree with me other fans have pointed out:it is cruel to give hope and dash them.Superman in practically all incarnations has been straight.

DC shall give a show on Midhighter-Apollo so that the fans who want to see something like this be satisfied.Seriously there is going to be a show on Krypton(?!).This shows that DC can't think of anything beyond Superman and Batman.Even if they try this pair,they will highlight this pair at the cost of other cool characters.This is what they do.Agents of Shield have a show.But Titans is beginning now.How is this fair?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-31-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Pairing Superboy with Braniac 5 has even deeper implications.If he had a relationship with Braniac 5 what happens when he meets Braniac when he grows up?He had a relationship with his descendant in the future.It is super weird and has creepy vibes.

Even if you disagree with me other fans have pointed out:it is cruel to give hope and dash them.Superman in practically all incarnations has been straight.
    First of all, learn to use a spacebar. Secondly, Superman in practically all incarnations has had romantic relationships with women. I don't think I ever remember him claiming to be straight. People assume he's straight because that's how heteronormative hegemony works, but people assumed Wonder Woman was straight too, up until the point when suddenly she explicitly wasn't. Actually, even after that point if we're being real. There's no reason why Superman couldn't do the same- that's basically what happened with me. I assumed Superman was straight. Suddenly, an obvious ship tease appeared on my favorite cartoon, a ship so blatant that I still maintain it has to have been intentional. Is that queerbaiting? Maybe. In my mind the solution to queerbaiting is explicit queer representation, and there is absolutely no reason why that representation can't happen with Superman except fear, and that's the kind of fear that's been ignored by Wonder Woman, so why not?

None of which is to say that Apollo and Midnighter shouldn't also have a show, but given a show about a super-powered married couple who fight crime with extreme violence and Superman but this time he's dating a nice greenish boy, I know which sounds better to me.

Lastly, in reference to whether it's creepy that Superman could date Brainiac Five and then later meet Brainiac Prime, he does meet the original computer tyrant in the original Legion cartoon and the fact that Brainy had been hiding his existence from him was a major plot point and step forward in the show and in Brainy's character arc. There's no reason that would have to sit uncomfortably in the background bothering people, that's an obvious story arc to focus in on!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."