Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I really enjoyed the Charles Soule/Javier Pulido She-Hulk series.
    Wait - there were people who didn't?

Other than the issues with the fill-in artist?

Invincible Member

various auto-bio strips by Robert Crumb from the 80's

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Wait - there were people who didn't?

Other than the issues with the fill-in artist?
    I know a fair number of fans liked it, but I've seen a number of people who said Pulido's art turned them off.

I'm not really sure what the general opinion on some of these are, so they may not qualify by your criteria, but here goes:

The Authority POST Millar:

I know the general consensus through Millar's stent on the title was positive, but those reviews seemed to crater once his run ended. I, on the other hand, liked all of it going up to Revolution, the twelve issue limited series. I thought it was an interesting direction to take a superhero team in, having them take over the US government in Coup D'tat. By the end, The Authority represented every fear that fictional governments in comic book universes have about organized super teams. They took control of a major world power and flexed their might. It was a different take on "building a better world" and I applauded it for that. Some of the characterizations started to drift a little and the plots weren't ground breaking, but it was still really enjoyable to read. It was too bad the Morrison book floundered the way it did.

Ultimate X-Men:

Again, I know this one started off positive, but eventually it skewed negative. I kept up with the title all the way up through the Apocalypse arc. I liked all of it. By that time, I had pretty much accepted the UXM as my default X-Men and had lost interest in whatever the 616 was doing with the characters, so I was just along for the ride. I even dabbled into the post-relaunch X-Men title and enjoyed it well enough. This one, more than anything, was probably a habitual read for me, though. I realized around the end of The Tempest arc that things had gone downhill a bit in quality, but it was still fun enough to keep reading.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I'm not really sure what the general opinion on some of these are, so they may not qualify by your criteria, but here goes:

The Authority POST Millar:

I know the general consensus through Millar's stent on the title was positive, but those reviews seemed to crater once his run ended. I, on the other hand, liked all of it going up to Revolution, the twelve issue limited series. I thought it was an interesting direction to take a superhero team in, having them take over the US government in Coup D'tat. By the end, The Authority represented every fear that fictional governments in comic book universes have about organized super teams. They took control of a major world power and flexed their might. It was a different take on "building a better world" and I applauded it for that. Some of the characterizations started to drift a little and the plots weren't ground breaking, but it was still really enjoyable to read. It was too bad the Morrison book floundered the way it did.

Ultimate X-Men:

Again, I know this one started off positive, but eventually it skewed negative. I kept up with the title all the way up through the Apocalypse arc. I liked all of it. By that time, I had pretty much accepted the UXM as my default X-Men and had lost interest in whatever the 616 was doing with the characters, so I was just along for the ride. I even dabbled into the post-relaunch X-Men title and enjoyed it well enough. This one, more than anything, was probably a habitual read for me, though. I realized around the end of The Tempest arc that things had gone downhill a bit in quality, but it was still fun enough to keep reading.
    All of it. For both of them?

Did you like The Monarchy?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Persepolis (I think that one was banned in some schools when I first read it)
    Fun Home ( https://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/a...claimer/100765 )
    Green Lantern: Mosaic (it got cancelled by the 5th issue because some higher ups didn't like it )
    Captain America: Truth (the first Black Captain America; that one had some fans very upset)
    Death & Return of Superman (it was all over the news when Superman died)
    Tales of the Green Lantern Corp Annual #2 (the art pissed off the Comics Code Authority)
    The Boys (got kicked out from Wildstorm supposedly for being too violent but I think Ennis and Robertson were offending some writers and artists at DC and Marvel
    and that's the real reason why it got cancelled then switched to Dynamite Entertainment)
    Green Lantern/Green Arrow (it's dated, but I love Neal Adams's work on that book. Southern comic distributors didn't though and refused to take any copies of it which got it cancelled)
    Last edited by Crazy Diamond; 05-31-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Persepolis (I think that one was banned in some schools when I first read it)
    Fun Home ( https://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/a...claimer/100765 )
    Green Lantern: Mosaic (it got cancelled by the 5th issue because some higher ups didn't like it )
    Captain America: Truth (the first Black Captain America; that one had some fans very upset)
    Death & Return of Superman (it was all over the news when Superman died)
    Tales of the Green Lantern Corp Annual #2 (the art pissed off the Comics Code Authority)
    The Boys (got kicked out from Wildstorm supposedly for being too violent but I think Ennis and Robertson were offending some writers and artists at DC and Marvel
    and that's the real reason why it got cancelled then switched to Dynamite Entertainment)
    Green Lantern/Green Arrow (it's dated, but I love Neal Adams's work on that book. Southern comic distributors didn't though and refused to take any copies of it which got it cancelled)
    What was the problem with the Green Lantern Annual art?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What was the problem with the Green Lantern Annual art?
    This was an annual from the eighties. It was a story written by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill was the artist. So the comic had art like this:

and this

Someone on the CCA didn't like the art because it offended them. I think the style was ugly to them because I don't know why they allowed a stamp of approval for Emerald Twilight but thought this was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    All of it. For both of them?

Did you like The Monarchy?
    I didn't actually ever read The Monarchy. But yes, all of it.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Well, no one saw it; but, i quite liked Real War Stories, from Eclipse. It featured stories about some of the US military's less than shining moments. It was pretty courageous, in the Reagan and Bush 80s and early 90s. However, nobody saw it. They had better luck with Brought to Light, because of Alan Moore and Bill Sienkiwicz.

Those are two very different questions:

Largely Panned, but I like:
    Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Watchmen - the movie
    Identity Crisis
    Cry for Justice
    The Dark Knight Strikes Again
    All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder

Controversial - that I like:
    Skin
    Brought to Light
    Brat Pack
    The Boys
    Marshal Law

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Those are two very different questions:

Largely Panned, but I like:
    Identity Crisis
    I remember Identity Crisis getting good reviews and making a lot of money when it came out despite the complaints of fans online. I think the New York Times even interviewed Brad Meltzer shortly before came out.

A lot of good comic books are controversial. Watchmen, Maus, Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, The Authority (Ellis/ Hitch or Millar/Quitely), Morrison's New X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, Millar and Hitch's The Ultimates, have vocal detractors, but I consider these among the best of the form.

When it comes to films, I'd give the Vincent Price film The Witchfinder General a perfect grade. The same is true of controversial Best Picture winners Crash and Forrest Gump. On that topic, I've seen every Best Picture winner since 1989, and think they're all good films (and mostly great films.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I like Zombie Tramp and there's no excuse for it (awards, craft, story)

Mighty Member

I don't think Peter David liked their She-Hulk.
    Last edited by williamtheday; 06-01-2016 at 10:54 PM.