Page 211 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311711 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I've started buying less books and it looks like the Star Wars is the first omnibus that I would have bought had it been $75-100. I'll be picking up FF vol 2 and Cap vol 4 but if I'm paying $125 for those then I'm cutting other books and any future books at $125 have to be the most exciting books ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    That's actually what happened to me recently after Marvel issued the "Punisher" tax on Aaron's Max series. I opted not to get another omnibus that came out that I might otherwise have bought.
    That'll only encourage Marvel to keep raising their prices if you'll buy it no matter what. If you have a $125 monthly comic budget and can only buy one $125 Marvel Omnibus or 3 other Marvel books totalling $125, I'm sure Marvel would prefer you just buy the one $125 book because of fixed costs, they'll make more money from the one $125 book. You know they're always testing just how much they can fleece their customers before they reach the consumers breaking point--Brevoort's been quoted in the media saying that.

I read the first ten Star Wars Classic comics. The movie adaptation is fine but the writer had no way of knowing that Leia would get turned into Luke's sister, so the flirtation between the two is... awkward. My other complaint is that there was a different inker on every issue and the final result is very inconsistent.

The issues after the movie adaptation were so terrible that I gave up on reading more. Jaxxson the Rabbit is a cool character, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    That'll only encourage Marvel to keep raising their prices if you'll buy it no matter what. If you have a $125 monthly comic budget and can only buy one $125 Marvel Omnibus or 3 other Marvel books totalling $125, I'm sure Marvel would prefer you just buy the one $125 book because of fixed costs, they'll make more money from the one $125 book. You know they're always testing just how much they can fleece their customers before they reach the consumers breaking point--Brevoort's been quoted in the media saying that.
    I get what you're saying, but we're more referring to a "one instead of the other" scenario. I might spend $125 on a book (actually I'd get them at discounts through IST), but that means I'm not going to buy the other $125 book. I'm more willing to shell out $200 for two $100 books. But, they're really going to have to release two kick ass books for me to shell out $250.

So, sure Marvel might get my $125 for a particular book, but not for the other, so I don't know if it encourages them to increase prices or not. I think for certain titles it certainly does, but I hope it doesn't for some of the lower-tier titles.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Interesting that the Avengers Epic Collection outsold much more recent X-Men and Deadpool books!
    That's mainly due to the fact that the Avengers Epic Collection was only just released in June whereas the X-Men (not W&X) and Deadpool books in the list have been on sale a few months now. Each Epic Collection has pretty decent sales the first month of release and then the sales drop off. The same Deadpool titles have been consistently selling for the last several months.

IST has the Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus back up at %50 off.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    It's more like this, there are books like OZ, Inferno Prologue or Star Wars that I would have purchased if they had reasonable price and now I won't. Now, there are some "I've gotta have it" books that I will pay $125 for but I will not purchase other books I normally would have to keep my spending down.

So, in general the amount of books I buy from Marvel are going down, including the number of omnibuses.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    It's more like this, there are books like OZ, Inferno Prologue or Star Wars that I would have purchased if they had reasonable price and now I won't. Now, there are some "I've gotta have it" books that I will pay $125 for but I will not purchase other books I normally would have to keep my spending down.

So, in general the amount of books I buy from Marvel are going down, including the number of omnibuses.
    Snap, I have to own Hickman Vol 2 because I bought Vol 1. But I would have bought Inferno Prologue and StarWars at $100, at $125 there's no way.

I have no monthly budget for comics, I take each book as it comes, I'll buy it if it's not a complete rip-off weighed against how badly I want to read the material. So it's not like I would use the money saved from not buying the $125 books to buy other Marvel books, it's Marvel losing a sale each time they put out a $125 book I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Snap, I have to own Hickman Vol 2 because I bought Vol 1. But I would have bought Inferno Prologue and StarWars at $100, at $125 there's no way.

I have no monthly budget for comics, I take each book as it comes, I'll buy it if it's not a complete rip-off weighed against how badly I want to read the material. So it's not like I would use the money saved from not buying the $125 books to buy other Marvel books, it's Marvel losing a sale each time they put out a $125 book I'm interested in.
    Exactly. I'm just buying less from them these days.

Have not read any of the Marvel Star Wars stuff but I think I will give this book a try, just have to grab it first day to get it half off.

Are people really excited about the Star Wars Omnibus, or more excited about the prospect of future volumes that aren't terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Are people really excited about the Star Wars Omnibus, or more excited about the prospect of future volumes that aren't terrible?
    This! Dark Horse put out some awesome stuff over the years.
    I've read the Marvel stuff a few times, and I enjoyed it (some was pretty silly), the price tag isn't worth picking up again, and I just don't have to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    Big news in today's solicits: Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus.
    Awesome. But something frigging DH could have put out 5 years ago at 1/2 of the price and a larger format and on beautiful paper... Frigging Dark Horse wallies. God damn they make me cross

I'm looking to read some Dr. Strange via MMW HC collections. Should I start at the earliest volume I can afford (which would be Vol. 3) or should I start with the Englehart run (Vol. 5)?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    IST has the Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus back up at %50 off.
    This happens while my copy is en route to me still from them for $10 more. Oh well, looking forward to digging into it anyways!

yeah, I really think this price hike will have same effect as the $3.99 did to floppies. It makes people stop and consider what they're buying out of habit and become way more selective. In the short run it might boost Marvel's sale to push out a bunch of books at the higher price point, but overall I think it will show a dip in actual sales.