Page 43 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753931435431043 ... LastLast

This came up

Twitter Link

Twitter Link

I think Justin has shown that he is still an anti-science Conservative.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

If the President Tests Positive for the Virus, What Happens?

The news last week that President Trump’s valet and Vice President Pence’s press secretary had both contracted the coronavirus sent a scare through the White House. While officials said both leaders subsequently tested negative, the episode raised a worrisome possibility: What happens if Trump or Pence is stricken—or, worse, if both became ill at the same time?

The result could be anything from a temporary disruption to a full-blown constitutional crisis with competing claims on the presidency. What’s critical, experts say, is that the identity of the commander-in-chief be clear in any situation. At least one scenario could arise where it wouldn’t be.
    The degree of economic and geopolitical fallout would depend heavily on the severity of the illness, and especially on whether Trump himself became incapacitated, say current and former White House officials and outside experts. “There’s a protocol for everything,” says David Axelrod, former senior White House adviser to Barack Obama. “We routinely went through drills for what to do in case of terrorist or nuclear attacks, but I honestly never anticipated a pandemic situation like the one the White House is facing now.”
    But constitutional experts warn that chaos could ensue if both Trump and Pence were to become incapacitated by Covid-19, because the law provides little clarity on resolving such a scenario.

“It would be a real **** show that could result in a full-scale constitutional meltdown,” says Brian Kalt, a law professor at Michigan State University and the author of Unable: The Law, Politics, and Limits of Section 4 of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment. “It would immediately go to court, and they’d have to decide real quick what to do. Because not knowing who the president is even for a couple of hours could be extremely perilous for the country.”
    If Trump and Pence were both unable to fulfill their duties, neither could invoke the 25th Amendment. The Constitution instructs Congress to legislate a line of succession, which was most recently updated in the Presidential Succession Act of 1947—the law that puts the speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, next in line for the presidency. The trouble, Kalt says, is that the Constitution doesn’t offer a procedure for determining a president’s “inability” to perform, giving rise to the possibility of a dispute in which Pelosi, a Democrat, declared herself acting president even as Trump and Pence (or their lawyers) declared themselves fit to serve.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    All the more reason why Biden's vp choice has to be from a swing state. He kind of hamstrung himself on choices by guaranteeing a woman and preferring a minority woman as there aren't a lot of good options in either that will bring him a swing state.

Gretchen Whitmer looked great on paper a month ago since she would bring Michigan but she's taken such a beating the last month over the shutdown I could see her actually losing Michigan for Biden whether she is on the ticket or not.
    From someone within Michigan while the protests have gotten the headlines, polling shows the bulk of people support Whitmer's policies.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    so unfortunately it’s looking more and more like this election is going to be a repeat of 2016, Biden does well overall, even wins the popular vote, but loses in several key swing states.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/polit...020/index.html
    It's not the total in swing States that matter. It's the individual States. Trump could win big in Georgia and Texas and lose if he doesn't get FL, PA, MA and WI. Last time Hillary lost by about 60,000 votes in key States.
    Also I doubt he will get positive poll numbers on the economy in November if we are still at 10% unemployment.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    From someone within Michigan while the protests have gotten the headlines, polling shows the bulk of people support Whitmer's policies.
    Exactly, amazing how people think these small groups of nut represent any sizable percent of the electorate. (Of course the Media isn't helping)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's not the total in swing States that matter. It's the individual States. Trump could win big in Georgia and Texas and lose if he doesn't get FL, PA, MA and WI. Last time Hillary lost by about 60,000 votes in key States.
    Also I doubt he will get positive poll numbers on the economy in November if we are still at 10% unemployment.
    It’s also a really bad poll. If any pollster at my school had come back with data showing a candidate leading nationally by six points, but losing swing states by six points, we would probably be questioning the definition of “swing state” as they would probably be way more Republican-leaning than the nation overall and certainly more than actual swing states (y’know—the ones that will actually swing either way to determine the winner).
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    This came up

Twitter Link

Twitter Link

Yikes. Just yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I wasn't able to provide a link because I was at work, but here Washington Post: Many governors win bipartisan support in handling pandemic.

Also I had misspoke, it isn't a bulk that support her, it's a vast bulk. 72% of residents approve of how she's handling things.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

This came up

Twitter Link

Twitter Link

This is also one thing that really irks me - trying to use one thing to disprove another thing that only looks like it is similar to the first. That would be like me claiming Tiger Woods was never a truly great golfer because he never made it as a professional cricket player. Both sports involve balls, sticks, and come from the same island, but that's about all they have in common. Amash is trying to use the micro to cast doubt upon the macro - a scientist probably can't tell you what one person will do, but can tell you what thousands will do - what places in the grocery store carry the greatest risk and at what time (presuming they have studied it), and other similar things. While someone uninitiated might think he has a point, his statement really makes as much sense as claiming an auto mechanic is wrong because he doesn't know the ins and outs of spacetime theory, or a completely nonsensical answer like "Blue, because ice cream has no bones." They have the same relevance as Amash's drivel.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Exactly, amazing how people think these small groups of nut represent any sizable percent of the electorate. (Of course the Media isn't helping)
    There was a good Vox piece about this a few days ago.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/10/212525...ts-media-trump

A comprehensive look at the social distancing protests reveals that they have been small in terms of both the number of participants and locations. As one official in the administration of Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) tweeted about a protest in Annapolis on April 20, “There were more media inquiries about this than there were participants.”

Our count confirms this impression. As of May 3, we counted 245 protests throughout April and early May against social distancing and related restrictions. In contrast, notable recent uprisings numbered in the hundreds of protests throughout the country in a single day, including Lights for Liberty against the detention of immigrants on July 12, 2019 (699), the climate strikes of September 20, 2019 (1184), pro-impeachment rallies on December 17, 2019 (599), and the fourth Women’s March on January 18 of this year (267).

The social distancing protests have also drawn modest crowds, with between 35,000 and 47,000 total attendees reported across all events combined through May 3. In comparison, a single protest against the governor in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, brought out upward of 250,000 on July 21, 2019. Hundreds of thousands turned out for PRIDE marches in June 2019 and the September 2019 climate strike. The Lights for Liberty protests exceeded 100,000, and December’s pro-impeachment rallies exceeded 75,000.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This came up

Twitter Link

Twitter Link

Justin, we already know those things as well. You have a phone on you and pay by card dumbass

Thanks mets.

Astonishing Member

This came up

Twitter Link

Twitter Link

This man is running for US president.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Justin, we already know those things as well. You have a phone on you and pay by card dumbass
    My guess is that if you presented Amash with several books on sociology, he would reply that sociology isn't a real science.
    Watching television is not an activity.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oooooh boy, I don't want even imagine what would happen. I fear almost a civil war with Trump's stubborn loyalists if Pelosi would somehow take over if both Trump and Pence were to become unavailable.