Page 568 of 744 FirstFirst ... 68468518558564565566567568569570571572578618668 ... LastLast
Results 8,506 to 8,520 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    And here's the crux of the problem. Not one MCU movie has been a direct adaptation of a comics storyline. Not ONE.

But all I'm hearing here is "What hoops would Coogler have to jump through to get one of the least-liked BP storylines directly adapted into the MCU?"

Where're the discussions on adapting The Client? Or Enemy Of the State? Why is it that the ONLY storyline that gets mentioned in what would be the FIRST adaptation of a comics storyline in the MCU is the one where the hero, his family, and his country are all in shambles?

Is the idea of a successful, strong African society that scary to you that the best thing you can come up with is to destroy it? AGAIN?
    And I agree that no MCU movie has ever been a direct adaptiona of a comic storyline. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm doubtful they could do it in a 2 hour movie even if they tried.

My post was a direct response to someone who said they wanted to see an adaptation of that A Nation Under Our Feet ... and I did in fact say it likely wouldn't be a direct one. Though it certainly can explore some of those themes and use some of the scenes. But if you'd rather talk about a different story to adopt, then by all means talk about that instead. No one is sticking a gun in anyone's head and forcing them to discuss Coates story in the MCU.

As far as the notion of people being scared of an african society and that being a reason it gets destroyed ... Asgard and Attilan haven't faired to well in the MCU, nor have their counterparts in the comics over the years. Or Atlantis or Latveria or any mutant nation for that matter. People on Krokoa would be wise to invest in insurance right about now, cause that's probably not going to end well. Comparatively speaking Wakanda probably does better than most of its fictional peers. I think as far as fictional countries go, in comics they tend to get destroyed a lot. That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wakanda would be fine without T'Challa if Coogler decides its' fine... or they can be coups and civil war if Coogler decides things are not fine. We have to remember in the comics, that stuff can happen even when T'Challa is around. Stuff like the Desturi and the People arose under T'Challa's nose. Though again, it obviously only happens when the writers want it to.

I'll say again though, no one is saying that this sort of thing 100% has to happen. The arguement is merely IF Coogler wanted to fit that story into the MCU, now would be a logical enough time to try. Obviously he may go in an entirely different direction. The Russo's left him with enough of a blank canvas to do whatever the heck he wants.
    There is no IF. It won't happen. Coates version of T'Challa and Wakanda is the old way of thinking. That interview that came with in regards to fiege and Ike and moving road blocks from a few pages back highlights what I'm saying. Coogler is thinking of the positive while Coates is stuck in the negative. It's why his run will not stand the test of time and will be forgotten. As it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    There is no IF. It won't happen. Coates version of T'Challa and Wakanda is the old way of thinking. That interview that came with in regards to fiege and Ike and moving road blocks from a few pages back highlights what I'm saying. Coogler is thinking of the positive while Coates is stuck in the negative. It's why his run will not stand the test of time and will be forgotten. As it should be
    In the first movie, we had a sucessful coup which nearly resulted in Wakanda basically going to war with the rest of the planet. The more convincing counter argument IMO at least isn't that Coogler wouldn't do something like this, but rather that Coogler wouldn't necessarily do something like this AGAIN.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Counterpoint:

That scene in Endgame with Wakanda at night was not only beautiful but showed how well Wakanda had recovered. Showing that it was in shambles 3 years later...?
    Russos constantly ignore what came before their movies. Why cant Coogler do the same?

I'm good with whatever Coogler chooses. Because its Coogler. My point being that I trust he'll turn whatever idea he has into a good movie.

I'm sure if someone pitched the BP 1 idea to people there would be some upset.

1. T'Chaka kills his brother and disregards a half Wakandan.
    2. T'Challa loses Klaue and in the process loses the trust of a lot of Wakandans with his failure.
    3. Killmonger outwits and has more of an identity than T'Challa during the first movie.
    4. T'Challa will be missing for 15 to 20 mins of the movie after being thrown off a cliff.
    5. The women will be the most resourceful people in the nation and will simply move on once T'Challa is gone.
    6. Ross will gun down Wakandans.
    7. M'Baku would come save the day.

Its all about execution. Coogler is great at making it work...whatever he chooses.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 09-30-2019 at 12:53 PM.

BANNED

She pointed it out to Ross in the lab of how they were able to transport vibranium. In the final fight T'Challa tells her to turn on the train and she is shocked and says it will disable the suit, which he already knows that given how hate conversation goes down. That was HIS plan. The only assist she gave was turning on the train. Nothing else.

Watch that final fight again.

you quickly realize how outclassed Erik was the entire time
    I have the Blu-ray, so I'll peep it again and get back to you.

BANNED

But then we have the EXACT same problem folks had with season one of Coates' run.

At the end of ENDGAME and throughout FAR FROM HOME, we see that New York City & much of Europe have recovered well enough that ordinary life goes on without any visible disruption. School children can bounce around half of Europe with minimal adult supervision, and not have to worry about rebellious Balkan warlords carving off petty fiefdoms.

Do you REALLY think Coogler's first reaction would be: "I know! Let's show the only major Afrofuturistic society in fiction collapsing into civil war three years later! Just because the REST of the planet has adapted well doesn't mean we can't let Wakanda collapse into disorder!!!"
    Agreed 100%.

BANNED

Monarchys are legitimately a more unstable model of government. It's believable that with it's leadership gone, it would have a much tougher time recovering. There could be all sorts of civil wars or coups occuring in a vacuum that are far less likely to occur in a place like the US. There are actual reasons why people have moved away from that model of government... it's not just a comic book thing.

That said, if Coogler doesn't want to tell that sort of story he won't and is free to do something else entirely. It's merely a potential time to tell that sort of story IF Coogler wants to tell it.
    Why would anyone in their right mind even contemplate any of Coates stereotypical dysfunctional depiction of Wakandan rape camps and other Boko Haram inspired aesthetics, brought to life on the big screen?

Repurposing Black Panther as a futuristic sequel to Twelve Years A Slave may be someone's wet dream, but it definitely isn't mine.

BANNED

And here's the crux of the problem. Not one MCU movie has been a direct adaptation of a comics storyline. Not ONE.

But all I'm hearing here is "What hoops would Coogler have to jump through to get one of the least-liked BP storylines directly adapted into the MCU?"

Where're the discussions on adapting The Client? Or Enemy Of the State? Why is it that the ONLY storyline that gets mentioned in what would be the FIRST adaptation of a comics storyline in the MCU is the one where the hero, his family, and his country are all in shambles?

Is the idea of a successful, strong African society that scary to you that the best thing you can come up with is to destroy it? AGAIN?
    Enquiring minds would like to know.

Ultimate Member

YES to a lot of folks that is very scary.

It's why you saw Rosewood and other black towns ruined along with the destruction of black communities in the 70s.

We are the only group who could not isolate ourselves and be self sufficient like our Asian & Latino brothers and sisters.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    YES to a lot of folks that is very scary.

It's why you saw Rosewood and other black towns ruined along with the destruction of black communities in the 70s.

We are the only group who could not isolate ourselves and be self sufficient like our Asian & Latino brothers and sisters.
    you better preach and spread the truth. let's not forget also about black wall street. this occurred before the 70s but any effort for black people to be an autonomous group was stopped by whites in America.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

In the first movie, we had a sucessful coup which nearly resulted in Wakanda basically going to war with the rest of the planet. The more convincing counter argument IMO at least isn't that Coogler wouldn't do something like this, but rather that Coogler wouldn't necessarily do something like this AGAIN.
    This has been the whole conversation is that it's not going to be the sequel. Abd the coup that happened in the first movie was NOTHING like Coates story. The movie asked questions that were so black and white. It wasn't Erik took over because he is evil and wants world domination since he's the bad guy. It was more complex. Where was Wakanda? If you have the tools and resources to help, do you do so or stick to the shadows and leave the world To it's fate? That was coogler.

Coates is racist stereotypical Africa with black dysfunction, rape, despots, an uncaring king, inept men in power and overall the Western lense of Africa

This has been the whole conversation is that it's not going to be the sequel. Abd the coup that happened in the first movie was NOTHING like Coates story. The movie asked questions that were so black and white. It wasn't Erik took over because he is evil and wants world domination since he's the bad guy. It was more complex. Where was Wakanda? If you have the tools and resources to help, do you do so or stick to the shadows and leave the world To it's fate? That was coogler.

Coates is racist stereotypical Africa with black dysfunction, rape, despots, an uncaring king, inept men in power and overall the Western lense of Africa
    I agree. It was the Priest version with a smooth transition using tradition. No riots, protests, or criminal enterprises. The same would happen after Tchalla got snapped. If they were fine before he became BP or King, they'll be fine afterwards. But people want to act like Tchalla is holding the country together by the fingernails. Excellence doesn't apply just to the royal family.

Certainly the first movie asked some complex questions. Though a movie about people wanting greater democracy and the right to elect rulers rather than having it decided in a fist fight next to a water fall potentially can be complex too, depending on the execution. I have faith that whatever Coogler does will be cool, so I'm not worried about it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I agree. It was the Priest version with a smooth transition using tradition. No riots, protests, or criminal enterprises. The same would happen after Tchalla got snapped. If they were fine before he became BP or King, they'll be fine afterwards. But people want to act like Tchalla is holding the country together by the fingernails. Excellence doesn't apply just to the royal family.
    It's tougher to have a smooth transition for anything when 50% of your population was just murdered. It wasnt just Tchalla that vanished. It would be more than justifiable for any society in the world to have problems in such a situation, if the given writers decide to go that route.

It's tougher to have a smooth transition for anything when 50% of your population was just murdered. It wasnt just Tchalla that vanished. It would be more than justifiable for any society in the world to have problems in such a situation, if the given writers decide to go that route.
    Not really. Okoye was still there and probably Raymond since they didn't say one way or the other. M'Baku was still there and joined the fight right away. All indications was that things were running as normal. Just with less people. Especially with Okoye being pretty chill on the teleconference with Natasha.