Page 30 of 216 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You seem to me to be under the false assumption that somehow Thor's power was taken away from him. It wasn't. He just had difficulties accessing it because his connection to the storm was lessened by his mindset. This was clearly laid out in the story. Somebody else wielding the hammer and transforming into Thor is an entirely different issue and nothing to do with the power that resides within Thor. It wasn't transferred from him to her in any way. Presumably you don't like Beta-Ray Bill either. How dare Simonson show another character benefiting from the "power of Thor". Or anyone else in the long history of the comics that has picked up the hammer.

There was a reason that Aaron needed to choose somebody else to lift the hammer. He wanted to explore the original dual personality idea of Thor and tease out what made that important and interesting. Why that idea just refuses to go away is telling IMO. The better writers do seem to return to it.

The movie chooses to portray Thor as a powerful alien with little knowledge of Earth. Only recently has the idea of Asgardians being gods resurfaced, preferring the Arthur C Clark maxim of high tech seeming like magic. That might be an entertaining character, but it isn't the same character.
    I'm under the impression that the power in the hammer was not Thor's as was logically presumed up until now.

Thus, not his and thus, yes, taken away from him. It's really not that hard.

Beta Ray Bill's current powers and hammer were given to him by Odin, and thus, not Thor's but a copy thereof. So I don't see your point there.

As for the movies, they kinda couldn't make up their mind. The latest one though, states that Thor is a God.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #341 Mar 1984
    "The Past is a Bucket of Ashes"
    Thor arrives at Avengers Mansion, intent on finding new residence on Earth since Don Blake no longer exists.

He steps inside and is transported to Battleworld.
    Meanwhile, Lorelei gets off the subway in a section where even the cops don't go.
    She is accosted by two thugs but mesmerizes them into fighting each other.
    She goes deeper and deeper until she comes to an abandoned station.
    There she finds the dragon, Fafnir and tries to mesmerize him into doing her bidding.
    But the power of the dragon is not only of flame, but of persuasion and mesmerizes her instead.
    Thor heads to SHIELD HQ to ask for Nick Fury's help in setting up a new civilian identity.
    Nick promises to do what he can and sends Thor with Marco.
    A half hour later, in walks Thor wearing jeans, a t-shirt, with his hair in a ponytail.
    Nick tells him that even SHIELD can't find anything in Manhattan and he'll have to settle for Brooklyn.
    But he's more concerned about people still recognizing his physique.
    Nick gets an idea and hands, Thor, a pair of glasses. Nick takes Thor to a press conference to test his disguise.
    On the way out, Thor accidentally knocks Clark down. Clark thinks he might recognize Thor but then dismisses it.

In Asgard, below Hlidskjalf, Odin is busy casting Runes.
    Odin carves Runes into the claws of Hugin and Munin so that they may travel beyond any barrier.
    He wants them to travel to the demons domain and discover the secret of their origin.
    On a Manhattan construction site, Sigurd Jarlson is reporting for his first day of work at Jerry Sapristi's office.

They hear a scream and race outside to see a girl hanging from a construction crane.
    Sigurd races up the crane to rescue her when the ground begins to shake and the crane starts to topple.
    Sigurd manages to rescue her when the source of the trembling is revealed - Fafnir.
    Fafnir recognizes Thor, with Lorelei as the bait, and lashes out with his tail, smashing the building.
    Elsewhere, the gigantic figure that is forging summons the Dark Elf to seek out the second son of Odin.
    As Sigurd is protecting Lorelei from the falling debris, he hears someone
    calling his name in the ancient tongue of the Norsemen, but then it's gone.
    Thor strikes Mjolnir on the ground and it changes his raiment, and then he begins attacking Fafnir.
    Fafnir revels in his evil and seeks to slay Thor for old wrongs. Back in Asgard, Volstagg is searching for Balder but finds his home empty.
    Balder has left for the wilderness but left his pantry well stocked to distract Volstagg from finding and stopping him.
    Later, as Balder sits by his fire, he is unaware that he is observed by Karnilla and Haag.
    Karnilla orders that there is to be no harm done to Balder while he is in her kingdom.
    Back at the battle, Fafnir's flame has set some debris on fire.
    Thor calls down the rain to quench the blaze, and Fafnir mistakenly believes that Thor will trap him again as he did before, and leaves.
    Thor starts to follow but is stopped by the raging river Fafnir unleashed in his tunneling.
    In Asgard, Loki is enjoying the game he is playing between Thor, Fafnir, and Lorelei.
    Thor changes back to Sigurd and checks on the woman he rescued. She feels better in his arms and falls asleep.
    He then hears the same voice calling his name again in the language of old and is determined to find its source.

Script and art by Walter Simonson

Ultimate Member

Wow, Aaron sure is defining Thor outside of his hammer, isn't he?

That is metal as ****.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wow, Aaron sure is defining Thor outside of his hammer, isn't he?
    yhea "best thor writer ever" right there .....if you have the will to believe it
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-14-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Amazing Member

So what are the predictions for the next issue leading up to WotR. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by marge_23 View Post
    So what are the predictions for the next issue leading up to WotR. Thoughts?
    thor will look like a loser, odin will look like a drunk fool, rinse and repeat.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

"Just gonna swim through the blazing hot sun to find pieces of my favorite pimpin' mallet, cool feat, eh?"

"Meh"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I feel like that was meant to be more intimidating then it came off as (beyond Carol's non-plussed reaction).
    Thor obsessed with Mjolnir and hammers? News at 11:00.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    thor will look like a loser, odin will look like a drunk fool, rinse and repeat.
    Yes. but this time it's from freya's perspective...
    I personally don't like either portrayals of odin or thor.
    They make thor look like a "scared little boy" and odin has basically become zeus to freyja.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    "Just gonna swim through the blazing hot sun to find pieces of my favorite pimpin' mallet, cool feat, eh?"

"Meh"
    It's as if we care more about characterization than feats. Odd

This is so sad.

Aaron should write a romance novel about Thor and Mjolnir.

Also, let's appreciate how a random ass hammer withstands the Sun more than Mjolnir and Mangog...

I'm waiting for a new writer to fix this mess.

A reboot is needed.