Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Guys, guys...you all forgot! We have to wait and see how well this movie does financially in China before we can properly assess its value as a “good movie” or a “bad movie”.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Except that you use RT. You brought up Endgame's RT score to prove to me is a great film when I said the movie is just not well done as a time travel tale and I used the time machine 1960s as an example to show endgame's flaw as bad story time travel film. you also used RT relentlessly to defend black panther's even thought it is clear to anyone the CGI was terrible, same even for Endgame

Never said I went to film school, did not say I did not go either. although this is a good point, if you met anyone who went to film school you would know they don't give a **** about RT but also they may know how to make movies better.

Joker was a good example, the trailer gave it away that things like the cinematography, character study arcs and the acting would be top norch in the film. Is those that went to film school that can point this out, and these is what people look for in a real film, they don't go to RT for that.

If anything its only a small minority that uses rt to try and convince people about movie quality usually from my experience these people are Disney fans of MCU and star wars only. RT is not a big deal anywhere else.
    I bring up RT with you because you either treat your opinion as fact and I use Awards, RT, Cinemascore, Metacritic, Social Media, and Box Office because they are true facts and numbers some are based off opinions but are the statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Guys, guys...you all forgot! We have to wait and see how well this movie does financially in China before we can properly assess its value as a “good movie” or a “bad movie”.
    Is it playing in China? I thought they didn't allow R rated movies to be played there. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 didn't play in China and those were a lot more lighthearted than Joker.

God, I don't even use RT, never have, and don't care about it one bit either way, and yet it took up soooooooo many pages. Maybe make a different thread to debate the merits and flaws of that site?

Anyways, I'm pretty amped for this film. Going to see it tomorrow with my mom and grandma. We're going to have a real good time I think. Having read the first issue of Harleen on Wednesday and getting to see Joker on Saturday, what a fun week!

$13.3m on Thursday beating venoms Thursday total!

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-b...nd-1202752002/

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Is it playing in China? I thought they didn't allow R rated movies to be played there. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 didn't play in China and those were a lot more lighthearted than Joker.
    It was a joke because a certain poster misspoke and said if a movie does well in China it's a strike against a movie

Anyway I'm going to see this tomarrow. Excited but cautious . Ad Astar excited me too and then I could barely stay awake during that movie. Space monkeys and Moon pirates woke me up but thats 10mins of a 2hour movie.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 10-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    If Joker doesn’t play in China, does that mean its in a Shroedinger type limbo, where we never really know if it’s a good movie or not? Assessment of China’s box office is really important, y’know?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4551&p=.htm

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Joker exploded out of the gates with an estimated $39.9 million Friday with expectations for the film now ranging anywhere from $87-95+ million for the weekend. The film received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences with the "under 35" crowd scoring it an "A-".

Internationally, the film is now in release in 73 markets and delivered an estimated $32.7 million on Friday for an overseas cume that now stands at $57.2 million since opening on Wednesday.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=joker2019.htm

So with a $93.5 million opening weekend Joker easily beats Venom ($80.3 M) for the top October opening. And virtually ties Justice League's opening weekend. ($93.8 M)

Astonishing Member

I just felt the slightest tremor of a month's worth of concern trolling getting flushed into the ocean.

Anyway I really liked Joker. Could make a nice double feature with You Were Never Really Here. I know they said the movie would be completely standalone, but I'm interested to see how its success impacts any studio decisions going forward.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I just felt the slightest tremor of a month's worth of concern trolling getting flushed into the ocean.

Anyway I really liked Joker. Could make a nice double feature with You Were Never Really Here. I know they said the movie would be completely standalone, but I'm interested to see how its success impacts any studio decisions going forward.
    Indeed. 93 million over in the States and 234 million worldwide. Impressive.

What a triumphant day for online hysteria and Twitter sanctimony. A victory which they'll take with their usual good grace I'm sure.

Retired

It's so ridiculous that the critic score on RT (last I checked) is at 69% while the audience score is at 91%. The Tomatometer has become useless.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Why though? Not saying I agree with the critics but the and the audience have different standards and always have.

Mighty Member

I have no interest in this movie but it seems that the controversy helped it at the box office.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Why though? Not saying I agree with the critics but the and the audience have different standards and always have.
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like, after the movie got such positive reviews from an elite group of critics, that put a target on its back and a bunch of other critics got it in their heads to take the movie down. Either because it doesn't go along with their politics; or because they don't think comic book movies deserve that kind of praise; or because they wanted to prove something to those elites.

If that's the case, then those guys are no different than trolls--but they don't get called trolls because they have the seal of approval from Rotten Tomatoes.