Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I do wonder who people would leave on the cutting room floor. If your told you can create a team of xmen but it has to be a diverse movie so no more than two characters per race. Well if we go by this if you need a male and female you are prob going for Jean and Wolverine on the caucasian side, from there if your going for popular it gets pretty easy when you get to people of other races.
    On this parameters, my team would be: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Sunspot, Armor, Surge and Forge.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Hahaha have you seen a black red head ?
    Yes I have two aunt's, a uncle and a nice and nephew with red hair. Have you seen a white woman fly in the air covered by a fiery bird?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    On this parameters, my team would be: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Sunspot, Armor, Surge and Forge.
    Which is a good team but that wouldn't be most people if they are starting with popular and what they think will sell and a lot of x-fans of characters "stories" may not get to see them for quite awhile because they would rather they not look different.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You do realize that with the exception of storm, everyone on the Outback team was white. Even with the ANAD team, as soon as Claremont took over, he got rid of the racial minorities (Thunderbird, Sunfire) and Storm was alone in a sea of Caucasians until Forge joined over 15 years later. Claremont's Uncanny X-men wasnt as diverse as people seem to think it was
    I'm aware but Outback was also half female, which for the time was an achievement. As for ANAD, he did end up making it less racially diverse but the concept of it having characters from loads of different backgrounds/ethnicities was likely what got it attention (at the time) and kept readers around.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery
    Not exactly true. The last issues of the O5 went up in sales, and actually outsold the first issues of the ANAD team. Largely because Neal Adams was on art on the O5 at a time when artists could still boost sales being the artist on a comic alone, and the stories got better. If sales information was as available as quickly back then as it is now, the O5 may not have even been canceled.

The ANAD different team didn't take off right away. Even Wolverine wasnt as popular at the start of ANAD as he is now. I've seen articles that talk about that time period that say that Wolverine was actively disliked at the start of ANAD. The ANAD team didn't really take off in terms of sales until the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. They were even still a bi-monthly comic for a year or two after Dark Phoenix.

EDIT: I should point out that I dont watch comic book movies or TV shows. But even if I did I wouldn't mind if Jean was portrayed by a black woman. The only time that I get upset is when MU or X-Men movies make large changes to what is cannon just so the comics can be more like the movies or TV shows.
    At that point it was a little too late. Even after the 05 became X-Factor, they never became the primer X-team. Outback outsold them by multitudes. I'm not saying they are bad characters but I honestly think they have bad chemistry together and do not catch readers attention very well.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-20-2021 at 11:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    So Aliens??? and Iris west and the cw verse is another universe. Stop joking, There's literally nothing inherently wrong with any of these.

BANNED

Yes I have two aunt's, a uncle and a nice and nephew with red hair. Have you seen a white woman fly in the air covered by a fiery bird?
    The way he said "a black" racists just being racist as if it didnt matter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    But that's just it, there souldn't be a quota on "diversity". The problem is writers since the inception of marvel and dc only thought about pleasing white audiences and only made white main characters and we see that, and we see that this still happens and people really only ask creators to not whitewash every character.

Black Jean Grey would be fine by me. I am not that bothered by switching out races, with a very few exceptions. Jean being white doesn't define her so it wouldn't be a huge deal for me.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Some people would gripe. Other people would defend it. Everyone would get over it. But if we’re race-bending characters, especially the all-white O5, I think there are better choices. Cyclops and Iceman are the two I would look at for that.

Scott Summers could easily be Hispanic in my opinion. Corsair (or his mother) could be Hispanic. Or both. Makes sense. Lots of Hispanics in the U.S. Armed Forces, and Corsair was a Major in the Air Force. Wouldn’t change the core of the character in my view to make him Latino or half-Latino.

Iceman is another one. Would making him Black change anything about him really? Not sure we’ve had a gay, Black character in the X-men yet. Unless I missed it. Maybe Northstar’s husband, but he’s not a mutant or an X-man.

I could even make the case for Beast over Jean Grey (and over Warren, whose whiteness and privilege are kind of core to his character and also to his descent into darkness as the Angel of Death/Archangel, which is an important arc for him). But there are issues with making a character who is blue all the time a minority. I get that. However, I could see him as a big, strong Samoan American pretty easily.

Just my $.02.
    I agree with a lot of this. I feel there are ways to add new racial backgrounds for the O5 without making it seem too out of control. I would however be very concerned if the MCU chose to introduce AND make Jean Grey a woman of color before introducing Storm. As others have noted, Storm IS the the premiere black goddess/superhero. Casting a black Jean Grey before Storm would be highly problematic and , in my opinion, would be an attempt at stealing Storm's prominence and giving to Jean for reason. I would also not recommend having Beast be portrayed by a black man for the optics of calling a black man "Beast".

Fantastic Member

It wouldn't bother me too much, although I think it is hilarious to add to the meme of white red-heads being adapted into black characters. I would be annoyed if they just made Jean Grey black, but didn't also bring in other canonically black characters whose identities are more tied to their blackness. That would feel a little bit more erasue-like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As long as you don't try to re-write history like F4ntastic cuz that was stupid.

Yet The Avengers are all their original races and nothing bad happened.
    The Avengers aren't out running around screaming about being oppressed in 2021.

It doesn't work for every character but then others it's not a reach at all. Like for me it wouldn't make sense to cast Siyrn and make her black, yes we know there are black irsh people but she is also irish and red head, okay, i'm sure they are out there but am i really going to reach that far, it makes no sense. Jean on the other hand could be any kind of redhead in America. Latina, Black, Asian.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Extraordinary Member

The Avengers aren't out running around screaming about being oppressed in 2021.

It doesn't work for every character but then others it's not a reach at all. Like for me it wouldn't make sense to cast Siyrn and make her black, yes we know there are black irsh people but she is also irish and red head, okay, i'm sure they are out there but am i really going to reach that far, it makes no sense. Jean on the other hand could be any kind of redhead in America. Latina, Black, Asian.
    Why would you even make Jean a redhead at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Why would you even make Jean a redhead at all?
    Why not? The world is not allowed to see not all red heads are white? Characters have mentioned her temper is as fiery as her red hair many times, doesn't make sense to leave it out.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I agree with a lot of this. I feel there are ways to add new racial backgrounds for the O5 without making it seem too out of control. I would however be very concerned if the MCU chose to introduce AND make Jean Grey a woman of color before introducing Storm. As others have noted, Storm IS the the premiere black goddess/superhero. Casting a black Jean Grey before Storm would be highly problematic and , in my opinion, would be an attempt at stealing Storm's prominence and giving to Jean for reason. I would also not recommend having Beast be portrayed by a black man for the optics of calling a black man "Beast".
    Agree with all of this. If they want to follow the comics, with the O5 first and then the ANAD team (which I hope they don’t do actually because even if you race-bend a couple of them I find the O5 very boring on their own) then I would change the ethnicity/race of pretty much any of them before Jean for this reason. Except maybe Warren, for reasons given in my previous post.

Extraordinary Member

Why not? The world is not allowed to see not all red heads are white? Characters have mentioned her temper is as fiery as her red hair many times, doesn't make sense to leave it out.
    Well I would not get hung up on it just to use that cliched bit of dialogue. Emma, Storm, Kitty, etc are all just as likely to lose their temper as Jean or anyone else. Actually, the women are probably shown losing their tempers more often and that is probably not the best stereotype to carry over.