Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Palpatine took a Skywalker (Anakin) and corrupted him into a Sith.

The Skywalkers (Luke and Leia) took a Palpatine (Rey) and showed her the path of the Jedi.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Just saw it again. While I do see the flaws, I still enjoyed it. The story was all over the place, the editing was wonky for the first third of the movie, but the performances were good. And I'm glad they were able to give Carrie Fisher a proper send off.

That being said, can we all agree that JJ Abrams is an tremendously overrated director. He's great a visually telling a story, but with everything else, he sucks. The guys should just be a DP and leave the real directing to people with talent.

Also, it is now painfully obvious that there was never an outline drawn up for these three movies. If they had made a set outline of who the characters are, where the started from and where they were going to end up, and if they had created the bare bones of a cohesive narrative, this trilogy could have been so much better. As it is, it feels like JJ created a story full of his f'ing mystery boxes, and either didn't tell Rian his thoughts on what should come next, or he did and Rian just ignored him, and then JJ tried to bring it back to the story he wanted to tell. In either case, while some blame has to go to both directors, I'm putting the bulk of the blame on Kathleen Kennedy and Disney. They royally screwed the pooch, and the only person to come out looking good in this whole mess is George Lucas, because suddenly the Prequels are looking a whole lot better.

Also- I wonder if they are trying to set up future movies focusing on Finn and those other former Storm Troopers becoming Jedi. It sounded to me like all of those who deserted did so because they felt the Force.

I also loved the fact that the last thing we see Lando doing is picking up a lady. Some things never change.

And hey- they didn't kill Lando! I guess because Leia died, they didn't need to kill two original cast members in this movie.

It's funny you bring up Indiana Jones. At the end, when Rey turns Palpatine's lightning back on his face, when it started burning away I was getting flashbacks to Raiders when they opened the Ark.

He probably influenced the Midichlorians to create life in some woman, probably from Tattooine.

Okay, just having rewatched TFA-

Rey said she never flew the Falcon before. I don't recall her ever saying she never flew at all. I know she stayed on the planet, but it felt like she had some piloting skills- probably from her speeder. Kind of like how Anakin could suddenly fly a starfighter after only ever having piloted Podracers in Episode I.

Her innate use of the Force- again, Anakin did the same things to a degree in Episode I. He used the Force for Podracing. As for Rey's ability to use all of those abilities- well, I chalk that up to her being Poppa Palpatine's Granddaughter. Of course she'll be strong in the Force, and of course she'll start using abilities that she never had before.

Rey beating Kylo... sigh. Kylo had just killed his father, and then had been shot in the side. He was wounded and distracted. Also, Finn got a shot in on him first before Rey got the lightsaber.

And Rey did make mistakes, just not many of them. She did let loose the Rathtars on Han's ship.. but yeah, that seems to be the only real mistake I can think of in the first movie.
    Rey in TFA and TLJ made mistakes.
    Rey in this film was a Mary Sue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Sounds more like your criticism is based on the fact that the makers didn’t tell the tale you wanted to see. That’s fine. But don’t fault the restaurant if they only serve meat dishes and you want vegiterian.

There were two main characters in the film who the premise of the story seemed to be built on Rey and Ren. With a little done for Poe and Finn. Everyone else was supposed to be a supporting character. It’s not unheard of for supporting/side characters to come in and advance or add to the plot and leave. It’s been done on tv and film for years.

Rey was no more a ‘Mary Sue’ than Luke or any other character in a sci-fi/fantasy show has with powers. And I frankly don’t understand how she can be a Mary Sue when she’s been fending for herself and learning to survive since she was abandoned at 10 years old. Mary Sue’s powers and skills usually come without any kind of hard work or sacrifice or study. And that is not Rey by any stretch of the imagination. And she spent (the two previous films) looking for her sense of self from others. By the start of the film she had evidently taken Ren’s advice ‘let the past die’ dropped the abandonment issues that were crippling her growth and moved forward.
    And of course I don’t know you personally. But I don’t know how anyone without an ounce of feeling can not be moved by how people both great and small came together to take on the enemy. That spoke to me more about heroism, and over coming your fears for a greater good. Than some contrived magic person just zapping the enemy.
    Or about Rey discovering that her parents actually loved her and did what they did for her own protection. Or even the visible struggle of Rey to not give into her grand fathers offer to take over the Sith. I think that it was much more than just hate. You can’t tell me someone as ambitious as that wouldn’t be seduced by that kind of power. Those were all scenes that definitely moved me and tugged at my heart.
    I'm disappointed because it was the only SW film that depressed me. The ending was horribly downbeat. The trilogy destroyed the entire Skywalker family and the heroine who longer for belonging ended up a recluse on the same kind of desert planet she longed to escape from.

Not something you'd expect from a Christmas movie.

Mighty Member

So, were those Sith Acolytes at the climax of the movie real or some kind of apparition?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    She let her anger destroy that ship thinking she killed Chewbacca. Palpatine's power made her struggle internally till she talked to Luke and she wasn't all-powerful.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I got the feeling that Jannah might have been related to Lando after their meeting. Lando is the type of guy I can see having a few bastard children around the galaxy.
    This has actually been confirmed. It's going to be in the novelization of the film. Apparently it was a dropped subplot. Lando married and started a family but his kid was stolen by the First Order's stormtrooper program.

I was kind of hoping the "then let's find out" was opening the door for a new project involving Lando...

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

The Skywalkers (Luke and Leia) took a Palpatine (Rey) and showed her the path of the Jedi.

Read an article the other day that pointed out Ben's arc reverses Anakin's.

Anakin turned to the Dark Side to save Padme and ultimately caused her death.

Ben turned to the Light Side and healed Rey at the cost of his own life.

Regarding the Finn/Poe thing, don't want to get too controversial but Disney has had a gay Star Wars character with her own monthly comic that ran for forty issues, has an action figure and rumors of a TV series-Dr. Aphra. So I don't think they're that stingy about the idea.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

She made a mistake when she accidentally caused the ship to explode.

Astonishing Member

I'm disappointed because it was the only SW film that depressed me. The ending was horribly downbeat. The trilogy destroyed the entire Skywalker family and the heroine who longer for belonging ended up a recluse on the same kind of desert planet she longed to escape from.

Not something you'd expect from a Christmas movie.
    The heroine went to Luke's home to bury his things. (I'm assuming) She's obviously not going to end up there. I thought it was a nice touch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Does that really work when Rey was always a good guy and wanted to be a good guy and the only real achievment was that she resisted a tiny bit of temptation to go the other way?

Like it's not like Anakin who started out with similar intentions turning

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The heroine went to Luke's home to bury his things. (I'm assuming) She's obviously not going to end up there. I thought it was a nice touch.
    She went to a planet that every single Skywalker that was there absolutely hated it

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Does that really work when Rey was always a good guy and wanted to be a good guy and the only real achievment was that she resisted a tiny bit of temptation to go the other way?

Like it's not like Anakin who started out with similar intentions turning
    Do not focus on your anxieties...your focus determines your reality.

Ultimate Member

It'd have worked better if Luke ever truly felt like a mentor to her, this is far more TLJ's fault with how it handled that, or she ever felt like she was in any real danger of falling.

Also her not even knowing who her grandfather was or and only interacting with him once, didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Also her not even knowing who her grandfather was or and only interacting with him once, didn't help either.
    I suppose it would feel like some young person today discovering (with incontrovertible proof) that he/she is a direct descendant of Hitler.