Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Trouble is kids today have never seen the other thundercats shows so this will be what they think of thundercats. If the old show is still on it would be more all right but it's not. So kids are go to grow up thinking thundercats is a show about lion-o and his "magic stick thingy" and mumm-ra going to the bathroom and reading a paper before attacking. They will grow up thinking thundercats is a teen titans go type comedy show. If they are going to do this then put the old one back on cn or at least the reboot from a few years ago with it.

Yes and the classic flintstones and pebbles and bam bamm were both still on cn when they aired it.
    True. The Thundercats thing is still odd to me because it just doesn’t look very good (although my opinion is colored by my knowledge of the old cartoon). And I don’t like the art style either.

The thing is though, these cartoons aren’t for me, I’m too old for them either way and I sure most people here are. We grew up in the era of the Saturday morning, toy line driven cartoon era of the 80s and 90s, this is a pretty different time. I much prefer the earlier style (the original Thundercats was brilliantly animated for its time) but again, I’m not the one that’s going to spend hours in front of the TV watching and I’m pretty sure when these companies are looking for feedback they aren’t going to rely on a man in his late 30s.

For, example, Teen Titans Go is hated by the fan base but my 4 year old son loves it and considering it’s success, I think it’s safe to say that most kids actually love it. The cartoon’s animation style (and CG animation) seems to draw in kids more these days than what we got before (this new Flintstones looks like it’s aimed at toddlers and lower grade school kids).

My point is, this stuff changes for different generations. The older (funnier) Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, e.t.c cartoons were changed considerably with newer adaptations and were far less edgy and far less funny (to me at least). The Saturday morning action style of cartoon doesn’t seem to resonate as well as before, I don’t know why but that’s just the way things are now. If these were targeting teens and older people, then I’d have a more serious problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think you should change the title to, "These kids and their rock music: Get off my lawn!"

The whole generational thing is pretty damn tiring at this point.
    Hating a different of style of something like Classic Rock vs Punk is different than hating something you once loved because you never loved Punk and thus not losing anything. I use to have Transformers shirts I'd wear haven't wore them in over a decade because people will think those Autobot and Decepticon symbols mean I like the Bayformers. That's the issue when companies take things and reboot them when good like BSG, Thundercats 2011, Masters of the Universe 2002, Dreamworks Voltron, and others I can still be proud to be a fan even if I'm not watching if the reboot stinks I lose something I once loved sharing with people because I don't want to be associated with that new thing.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not speaking to the quality of any recent animation revivals, but I notice people complaining about how younger animation professionals tend to re-invent older properties in such a way that they may as well have been original productions. The reason is simple, few companies are going to prioritize creating new Intellectual property when they already have a large library of titles. The opportunities to pitch fully original programs are dwarfed in comparison to when a studio is looking for someone to revitalize an existing property. How much they have to creatively adhere to the previous media varies. It's not hard to figure out.

Sometimes the newer shows aren't to your liking or are just objectively not that great (In that they fail to achieve their intended purpose), but it's not a big deal. If it hurts you, I'm sorry but you have to try and put less importance on the media you consume. Liking a cartoon a lot isn't a replacement for a personality.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    By the way here is the new woody woodpecker shorts.

I didn't even know about this one.

I watched the first minute or so. I don't know how the whole series is, but I think of the recent revivals, this one seems the least off-model to me.

The series does seem more about parodying animation tropes rather than just being in-universe stories about the characters, but hopefully things don't get too far afield.

The fact is that Woody Woodpecker was never really a great cartoon at the same level as Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry, so there's not a ton from the past that they could draw from.

However, I do think that the New Woody Woodpecker Show from 1999 on Fox Kids was a great attempt to modernize the character and set up a more expansive world and flesh out the supporting cast.

Invincible Member

Bad revivals of things people liked from previous year have been going on for decades. It didn't just start in the last ten years. It's not so called "millennials" ruining things. It's cynical corporations, and they've been recycling stuff since the start of the entertainment industry.

Extraordinary Member

Something needs to be stressed here:

Cal Arts Style is not a thing, and have never been a thing. It's a meaningless buzzword bandied out to use against whatever artstyle the speaker happens to dislike, going back to John Kricfalusi who was the first person to throw the term out, in reference to The Iron Giant of all things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    90% of American animation seems to revel in the poor art quality - Outside of DC animation, I'm trying to remember when the last thing that had any polish to the animation was.
    We do have excellent animated shows like My Little Pony FIM, Bojck Horseman, Regular Show, Castlevnia, Rick and Morty, Archer and a few other gems.

Voltron Legendary Defender was a respectful reboot as was He-Man 200X, Thundercats 2011 and Transformers Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    We do have excellent animated shows like My Little Pony FIM, Bojck Horseman, Regular Show, Castlevnia, Rick and Morty, Archer and a few other gems.
    Outside Castlrvania I wouldn't call any of those gems. Good shows, some maybe even great shows, but the character designs and animation itself aren't so great. Well written cartoon is not the same as a well drawn and animated cartoon.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Outside Castlrvania I wouldn't call any of those gems. Good shows, some maybe even great shows, but the character designs and animation itself aren't so great. Well written cartoon is not the same as a well drawn and animated cartoon.
    My Little Pony is pretty damn good for a show presentation wise for a show that uses flash.

Mighty Member

Character design and animation is not always important than writing/storytelling as not everything can be like the 90s

Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy and one of my animation idols when he once said; "… a good story can save poor animation, where good animation cannot save a poor story."

Yeah he-man 2002 is how you do a remake. Faithful to the ip with updates to today.

Thundercats titans go is NOT how to update a ip. I would be ok with the animation if the plot is good and true to the original version but it looks like a mad mag version of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My Little Pony is pretty damn good for a show presentation wise for a show that uses flash.
    It might be good for flash, but that's what limits it animation-wise (being limited in animation doesn't mean it isn't good, I love the show, Fluttershy for life, but does it have to be perfect to be good? The animation is serviceable but not memorable nor great, and that's okay).
    Character design and animation is not always important than writing/storytelling as not everything can be like the 90s

Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy and one of my animation idols when he once said; "… a good story can save poor animation, where good animation cannot save a poor story."
    But you were talking about animation, not storytelling. Yes, good storytelling can save bad animation, but it's still bad animation. You can't bring up these shows as examples of good animation when their saving grace is the writing and not the animation. But I never knocked the importance of good writing.

Mighty Member

It might be good for flash, but that's what limits it animation-wise (being limited in animation doesn't mean it isn't good, I love the show, Fluttershy for life, but does it have to be perfect to be good? The animation is serviceable but not memorable nor great, and that's okay).

But you were talking about animation, not storytelling. Yes, good storytelling can save bad animation, but it's still bad animation. You can't bring up these shows as examples of good animation when their saving grace is the writing and not the animation. But I never knocked the importance of good writing.
    Ever heard of the infamous and most hated animation nut on the internet known as ToonEGuy?

Voltron Legendary Defender was a respectful reboot as was He-Man 200X, Thundercats 2011 and Transformers Prime.
    I just now realized I somehow misread this with an extra animated before the word gems, thus making an emphasis on animated that wasn't even there. Yes, an animated show can be a gem without being an animation gem.

Ever heard of the infamous and most hated animation nut on the internet known as ToonEGuy?
    No, who dat?