Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

I see it Monday.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Attachment 87536

Dude, you're the director of the Hangover trilogy and Old School, and you made a knock-off of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Piss off with your "real movie" BS.
    ^^^^^^Yep.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One other thing...

Think about the amount of time that has gone into covering that this might incite some sort of violence.

Once you have, think about how much coverage has gone into what it would take to help someone before a film could be a thing that might incite them to commit an act of violence.
    I share this concern. Is this really an incel film or is it a movie being pushed onto incels? I get the feeling that its the later and the only reason you have incel community is s*** posting about shooting up a theatre is because the media is already claiming they will.

Incel violence is rooted in misogyny, but is that the Joker's motivation in the film? I'm pretty sure it isn't, so even if he's an incel, his motivations have nothing to do with it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Attachment 87536

Dude, you're the director of the Hangover trilogy and Old School, and you made a knock-off of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Piss off with your "real movie" BS.
    It has similarlys with this movies sure but I wouldn't call it a knock off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The first hangover is still a classic imo. It and tropic Thunder are the best comedies of the 2000s to me. But that quote furthers my feelings that this isnt really a Joker movie. It's a movie they kinda slapped a Joker package onto to benefit off the name.
    Yeah, that quote pretty much confirms that they put "Joker" on this to get it made. Could've called it "Clown" and it would've had no needed connection to DC at all.

Listening to Fighter and the kid podcast and Bryan Callen who is in the movie bascialy said he can see how the movie could be an issue. I still don't think u can blame art for people doing horrible **** but interesting someone in the movie thinks it could be an issue.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not gonna say whether or not I think this movie can incite violence, but I will say that I can see how the premise of this movie can be appealing to the very people who would be prone to such violence.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm not gonna say whether or not I think this movie can incite violence, but I will say that I can see how the premise of this movie can be appealing to the very people who would be prone to such violence.
    But does art need to censor itself because those people exist?, that where the argument loses me. It's a real slippery slope

Extraordinary Member

But does art need to censor itself because those people exist?, that where the argument loses me. It's a real slippery slope
    I'm not gonna comment on censoring, but maybe a little forethought and personal responsibility on the part of the filmmakers wouldn't be a terrible idea. I'll be honest, I have absolutely no interest in seeing this movie because I'm just not particularly interested in this direction for the Joker, and while I wouldn't stop anyone else from seeing it, I can understand where the concern comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    People can always come up with reasons to justify bad behavior instead of going after the root cause, such as the lack of resources to treat mental illness and the easy access to guns. Back in the 1950s comic books
    were blamed for juvenile delinquency and led to widespread censorship of comic books. Didn't stop juvenile delinquency. Because comic books weren't the problem.
    Judging by just the trailers the whole point of the movie was Arthur's descent into madness was precisely because of his lack of help in treating his mental illness. That is what should be taken away from the movie.
    That people that are prone to violence need help and there should be more of an awareness of these people so they can be given help. People prone to violence are just as much victims as the people they hurt.

Warner Bros. dis-invites press to premiere of Joker movie. Print and broadcast journalist will have limited access with only photographers will be allowed access to talent and filmmakers.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...omment-6172766

It's a tricky issue.

Does this movie have the potental to incite violence? I'd say yes.

Does that mean they can legally ban or censor a movie like this from being made? Definately not. Is this movie legally responsible for any violence it migth incite? Again, I'd say definately not.

Removing any sort of legal accountability, one can raise the question of whether or not any sort of social obligation exists... but that's really up to the WB to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Warner Bros. dis-invites press to premiere of Joker movie. Print and broadcast journalist will have limited access with only photographers will be allowed access to talent and filmmakers.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...omment-6172766
    Projecting confidence.

Incredible Member

I for one will be seeing the film. How I see it is if we start changing our lives and living in fear of the small population of individuals who are too impressionable and would take any form of media like this in the wrong way, then that's when these individuals truly do win and the damage that they were trying to do is truly done.

Well my screening got moved ... so not seeing it today.

I think WB sent out press screeners late?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium