Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Superman / Wonder Woman Annual #2 Preview / Discussion

Superman / Wonder Woman Annual #2

Source: comicbook.com

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/25/excl...oman-annual-2/

Summary:Forged in the fires of battle, their union is one the world fears and hates—and some have tried to tear it asunder! Now witness the trials of the romance of Kal and Diana, and how it all came to be. See the first kiss and last breath of Superman and Wonder Woman in this epic tale that recounts the most dangerous love story of all.
    I really loved the preview

Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

This reinforces that Superman has been intimate with Diana before Truth and what I get from this is that he was probably going to propose to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
    Superman / Wonder Woman Annual #2

Source: comicbook.com

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/25/excl...oman-annual-2/

I really loved the preview

Oh lovely preview. Such pretty art by Paquette and seems to me Clark and Diana do love each other just some DC writers trying to force conflict with Truth and JL left field stuff. Anyway can't wait for Wed.
    Last edited by hellacre; 12-25-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Now THAT is a cool Atlantis.

Eh. Preview reads nice of course but I can't get too excited about a retrospective of the good times of their relationship (which in real time we barely got to see), before they close the book on them.

With the Jonathan and Martha element though, my best hope at this point is some sort of allusion to the Kents going through a rough patch of their own to give hope that maybe they'll reunite in the future.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-25-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This reinforces that Superman has been intimate with Diana before Truth and what I get from this is that he was probably going to propose to her.
    That was the impression I got too! Hopefully that's the case, because if it is then I doubt that this Truth stuff will actually be the end.

My fear though is that this will create another reason though that he doesn't go through with it. Beyond the nonsensical "I don't know if I love you anymore because you used the lasso to free my friends. derp" thing. Like Clark finds out Diana isn't as in love as she says she is or something like that to fit with Johns' out of nowhere characterization.

I know I'm being pretty pessimistic, but I think I've been given reason to be at this point.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

If they had been intimate before Truth, this means Bruce has a SM/WW sextape somewhere.

Creep.

He's jelly.

Of Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    If they had been intimate before Truth, this means Bruce has a SM/WW sextape somewhere.

Creep.
    Lol thanks for the Christmas funny!

The preview gave me a vibe of good times "fan service" followed by the bad times "slap to the face" to those same fans who actually buy the books. The vignette format does not help either. Yeah what is there seems fun (SM/WW and Aquaman/Mera teamup was something I thought I'd see a lot sooner), albeit in truncated form. Considering all the rewrites and filler writers the annual has in order to bulk the issue, I am very wary of what is to come in the months ahead for sm/ww. And considering Tomasi's penchant for dramatics I'm not holding my breath for improvement.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My fear though is that this will create another reason though that he doesn't go through with it. Beyond the nonsensical "I don't know if I love you anymore because you used the lasso to free my friends. derp" thing. Like Clark finds out Diana isn't as in love as she says she is or something like that to fit with Johns' out of nowhere characterization.

I know I'm being pretty pessimistic, but I think I've been given reason to be at this point.
    I don't think they will end the relationship any time soon because 1. sales for SM/WW are still better than several other DC books, no reason for DC to end the title. 2. They already have a Superman dating Lois book to please those fans. There is no point in it.

I honestly think SM/WW shippers will be fine. Just enjoy the flashbacks and wait for this all to end in March.

If I were Diana, Clark would have to do some serious work apologizing and repairing the relationship before I'd even consider giving it another go. I suppose Clark would think his actions were justified; he was right to be angry with her for disobeying him and rescuing his friends using her lasso, and he was right to react by telling her he wasn't certain about his feelings for her anymore. However, I think he crossed a line. It was a big test for their relationship, and he did not handle it well. He doesn't seem like a guy who should be in any relationship at the moment. He has a lot to adjust to and a lot to clean up before I can see him, and those he's hurt along the way, reconcile.

For me the motivation was so poorly thought-out and executed that it ended up being that he had no reason to be angry whatsoever. He seriously reads like an addict in withdrawal, snapping because someone dropped a napkin on the floor. At absolute worst, a well-written Superman maybe initially says "I wanted you to stay away!" with Wonder Woman reminding him that she doesn't need protecting, him understanding he was just acting out of his romantic feelings and not pragmatically, and relent. Then he'd thank her for discovering a method to make sure the government left his friends alone, a method his friends were in no way forced to take part in.

There's nothing about the course of events that makes him being anything more than miffed for a few seconds make remotely any sense. I enjoyed Tomasi's Circe/Magog arc, but this one is just a major fail based on that one big boner alone. It might just overtake Superman yelling at Kara in Lobdell's run and JMS's Superman callously scaring the crap out of a reporter just doing his job by flying him up in the air really fast in terms of sheer mean-hearted and thus out of character behavior. Instead of being an organic story where the reader asks "How can Superman make this right toward the woman he loves?", the only question worth asking really is how anything about his feelings can be made any sense out of.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-25-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For me the motivation was so poorly thought-out and executed that it ended up being that he had no reason to be angry whatsoever. He seriously reads like an addict in withdrawal, snapping because someone dropped a napkin on the floor. At absolute worst, a well-written Superman maybe initially says "I wanted you to stay away!" with Wonder Woman reminding him that she doesn't need protecting, him understanding he was just acting out of his romantic feelings and not pragmatically, and relent. Then he'd thank her for discovering a method to make sure the government left his friends alone, a method his friends were in no way forced to take part in.

There's nothing about the course of events that makes him being anything more than miffed for a few seconds make remotely any sense. I enjoyed Tomasi's Circe/Magog arc, but this one is just a major fail based on that one big boner alone. It might just overtake Superman yelling at Kara in Lobdell's run and JMS's Superman callously scaring the crap out of a reporter just doing his job by flying him up in the air really fast in terms of sheer mean-hearted and thus out of character behavior. Instead of being an organic story where the reader asks "How can Superman make this right toward the woman he loves?", the only question worth asking really is how anything about his feelings can be made any sense out of.
    Exactly. Most fans who read this book and support the couple can smell rewrites and 180 turning of SM and WW in an arc that started off well and just seem to get a little bizarre with the way the Clark acting out of character. From I love you to you won't lose me to him being all self righteous, the oh you don't use the lasso , oh you didn't listen to me, I don't love you...oh please. Clark worked with this woman for 5 years. He knows her as a comrade in arms and now as a lover. He has to know Diana would never stay away from helping those she loves. He's seen her use the lasso, he knows what it does, he had it used on himself, he let her use it on Parasite...him getting mad at that was so forced. And SHE saved his friends more than he did. Clark and Diana been through a lot on Soule's arc and Circe/Magog arc...both should know by now the other does not stay away when in trouble....they help each other...they are stronger together. Tomasi just went backwards instead of forwards. The fans won't buy this forced drama.Plus it has been confirmed there was rewrites by Keith Champagne whose part in thos annual is not being used anymore. He said DC decided they won't use his story because DC did not want to go in a certain direction anymore...whatever that means. It's like Truth had to grasp something out the air to make them "break up".

I think Tomasi needed to show that Wrath was tainting Clark's pov, combined with his worry for Diana and can't be bearing the thought she could die because of her constant protecting him...but then he has to accept as does she...it's part of what they do...as friends, allies and even now more so as lovers as well as knowing at times the other can hold their own end. So basically finding a balance. Clark needs to apologise. Not Diana. But then Clark in my mind wouldn't have been so uptight nor judgemental or callous.

Hope DC realise that SM/WW has an audience that actually buys and their marketing of the couple for 2015 has been the pits. Seems to me they listen too much to people who are negative on the net than the audience that supports the couple. Now with the poor reception of Convergence elements brought into canon and so so sales of DCYOU maybe they will listen. New 52 just needed building on organically and that included this book/relationship.
    Last edited by hellacre; 12-26-2015 at 03:17 AM.