Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The elders of the universe never struck me as smart and majestic individuald, Grandmaster aside, to be honest. Thanos outsmarting them shouldn't be something outrageous.
    He made the Champion into a dumber Hulk, for one thing.

More than that, they've always had cosmic power, yet none of them were able to use the gems themselves?

Cherry on top, none of them are actually immortal, just really long lived.

Good thoughts on the differences between Darkseid and Thano. The more I think about it, they aren't as alike at first glance.

Still, my Marvel bias shows a lot when I watch things like this. Spoiler alert, our favorite Mad Titan doesn't come out on top here:

Yeah, it makes sense and all, but man, the outcome really threw me off. For so many years on the message boards fans always said Thanos would always be the victor over Darkseid.

Haven't read what happened to Thanos after Hickman's Secret Wars. Has he been nerfed recently? Is he treading into jobber territory in the Marvel Universe?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The elders of the universe never struck me as smart and majestic individuald, Grandmaster aside, to be honest. Thanos outsmarting them shouldn't be something outrageous.
    Agreed. Every single one of the beings Thanos outsmarted, including the In-Betweener, all had VERY obvious personality flaws that made them easy to exploit. Where Thanos had an advantage was knowing the true power of the gems after looking in the Infinity Well. Until that time, they were just powerful macguffins. This was even a plot point when he went for the Reality Gem against the Collector (and called back to in the Infinity War movie).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He made the Champion into a dumber Hulk, for one thing.

More than that, they've always had cosmic power, yet none of them were able to use the gems themselves?

Cherry on top, none of them are actually immortal, just really long lived.
    Actually they are immortal. Death has banished them all. But if you call back to the Thanos Quest, some of them WERE actually using the gems powers, albeit unconsciously. Champion was using the Power Gem to amp his strength without realizing it. Gardener using the Time Gem to manipulate time around his garden for the perfect bloom. Runner was using the Space Gem to tap into the Speed For, err make it appear he was moving really fast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Actually they are immortal. Death has banished them all. But if you call back to the Thanos Quest, some of them WERE actually using the gems powers, albeit unconsciously. Champion was using the Power Gem to amp his strength without realizing it. Gardener using the Time Gem to manipulate time around his garden for the perfect bloom. Runner was using the Space Gem to tap into the Speed For, err make it appear he was moving really fast.
    In Thanos Quest, we see Thanos use the time gem to age the Runner into an invalid, while explaining to the Runner that the Elders are not, in fact, immortal.

In the same issue, he lectures Champion about how to fight, playing a guy who dedicated his life to fighting, like a chump.

So yeah. Encountering Thanos does seem to have a negative effect on one's abilities

Darkseid is about absolute order. He is 1984's O'Brien with cosmic power.

Thanos is a death-worshipper who doesn't care about order or chaos, only the beauty of Death.

They have nothing in common.

Also, personal pet-peeve, "nihilist" and "death worshipper" or not remotely synonymous. A nihilist believes that nothing has objective meaning. Death is just as meaningless as life to a nihilist. It's actually possible, and indeed rather common, for nihilists to have very mundane, and even liberal political positions. They just don't believe those political positions have objective meaning, and view even the most passionate of their own political positions as merely a passionate personal preference.

A death-worshipper, on the other hand, is religiously devoted to death, viewing it as an objective good.

Agreed. Every single one of the beings Thanos outsmarted, including the In-Betweener, all had VERY obvious personality flaws that made them easy to exploit. Where Thanos had an advantage was knowing the true power of the gems after looking in the Infinity Well. Until that time, they were just powerful macguffins. This was even a plot point when he went for the Reality Gem against the Collector (and called back to in the Infinity War movie).
    I think the idea is that abstract beings must behave in thematically appropriate ways, even if that means behaving predictably. It's an inherent flaw to them as myth-made-flesh. They may well utterly dwarf any normal being in raw intelligence, but their ability to bring that intelligence to bear is heavily restricted by mythic themes.

Mighty Member

In Thanos Quest, we see Thanos use the time gem to age the Runner into an invalid, while explaining to the Runner that the Elders are not, in fact, immortal.
    Except that they most certainly ARE immortal. It was an entire storyline in which Death banished the Elders from ever entering her realm. They could conceivably age, and suffer injury, but its been made clear more than once that Death will not let them die (which was a desired outcome from Grandmaster).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think the idea is that abstract beings must behave in thematically appropriate ways, even if that means behaving predictably. It's an inherent flaw to them as myth-made-flesh. They may well utterly dwarf any normal being in raw intelligence, but their ability to bring that intelligence to bear is heavily restricted by mythic themes.
    The only abstract being Thanos faced in his quest was In-Betweener. The others were all Elders, though your point about behaving predictably is on point. It's their obsessions which made them initially billions of years old and survivors, they're not about to change now.

Ultimate Member

Except that they most certainly ARE immortal. It was an entire storyline in which Death banished the Elders from ever entering her realm. They could conceivably age, and suffer injury, but its been made clear more than once that Death will not let them die (which was a desired outcome from Grandmaster).
    I'm aware of that storyline. Have the annuals even.

But for some reason, that was never acknowledged in the story itself. If that's still true, I don't believe it's been confirmed

Mighty Member

I'm aware of that storyline. Have the annuals even.

But for some reason, that was never acknowledged in the story itself. If that's still true, I don't believe it's been confirmed
    It was a major story point in Englehart's Silver Surfer run.

Ultimate Member

It was a major story point in Englehart's Silver Surfer run.
    Dude, you keep acting like I said it never happened or something.

In Thanos Quest, where Thanos steals the infinity gems from them, the story is never mentioned or acknowledged. What is brought up, and is in fact a plot point, is that the Elders of the Universe are *not* immortal. Thanos ages Runner to demonstrate his point.

The rule may still be in effect, mind. I think Gardener was stated to be immortal when he showed up in Guardians.

But not when Thanos chumps them out, per usual.

Mighty Member

Dude, you keep acting like I said it never happened or something.

In Thanos Quest, where Thanos steals the infinity gems from them, the story is never mentioned or acknowledged. What is brought up, and is in fact a plot point, is that the Elders of the Universe are *not* immortal. Thanos ages Runner to demonstrate his point.

The rule may still be in effect, mind. I think Gardener was stated to be immortal when he showed up in Guardians.

But not when Thanos chumps them out, per usual.
    You're confusing not aging with not dying. An immortal being could still conceivably age and not die. I'll also point out that neither Runner nor Gardener died. In fact without the the effect of all the gems in unison, I don't think an Elder could die. Clearly it was shown that the wielder of the IG had power to control all of reality including Death. But without the reality gem, I doubt Thanos could have killed Runner with the ones he had (power, time, soul, space).

Extraordinary Member

This video talks about the thanos vs darkseid death battle at the end as well.
    Thanos Would Destroy Superman - Ft. Thanos Fighting Odin & Destroying Thor, the Surfer & Black Bolt

I don't always agree with this guy in the video but i do agree that thanos in a fair fight will destroy superman.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Good thoughts on the differences between Darkseid and Thano. The more I think about it, they aren't as alike at first glance.

Still, my Marvel bias shows a lot when I watch things like this. Spoiler alert, our favorite Mad Titan doesn't come out on top here:

Yeah, it makes sense and all, but man, the outcome really threw me off. For so many years on the message boards fans always said Thanos would always be the victor over Darkseid.

Haven't read what happened to Thanos after Hickman's Secret Wars. Has he been nerfed recently? Is he treading into jobber territory in the Marvel Universe?
    I posted a video of of another view above and my thoughts below.

By the way thanos has energy projection of his own projection just like darkseid.He does not need THE IG to fight the new 52 or post-crisis avatar (normal) darkseid.They around the same power levels and strength but i think thanos is little bit more powerful and stronger.
    Pre-crisis darkseid is more powerful however then normal thanos.The mcu and these fan made vs vids have not shown the other powers thanos has.
    Darkseid has other powers not shown in fan msde vids as well.
    The cartoons have been more accurate for thanos then the mcu and the fan vids so far.
    IG thanos is a higher level of power then avatar darkseid(post-crisis and new52 and rebirth),but not true darkseid.Heart of the Universe of thanos is more powerful then any version of darkseid by the way but i don't that's canon to the 616 marvel universe to be fair.
    The IG should not be able to work in dc universe anyway but if in this works in this version then THANOS with IG should beat current normal(avatar) darkseid.
    That's the one in canon right now,not pre-crisis darkseid,so mightraccon is just as inaccurate and incorrect as deathbattle.
    Anyway here is list of Energy and other powers of thanos own powers these vids and the mcu has not shown from the comics that is is not the infinity gauntlet.

Energy Manipulation & Control: Thanos has displayed great versatility in the use of his energy projection abilities. He has demonstrated the ability to project pure energy as a concussive force, "magnetic" energy, infrared heat-beams from his eyes, and disruptor beams, unilaterally striking separate targets with his optic blasts as well as use his mental link to his techno-mystical chair to form vastly powerful energy shields, barriers, and force-fields. The exact extent of Thanos' energy projection abilities are unknown, but his blasts have been capable of knocking down the likes of Thor and The Hulk. He was also able to slightly damage Galactus' armor and blast the Devourer of Worlds off his feet. By collaborating with the In-Betweener they together released the latter from his prison created by Master Order and Lord Chaos. It has been speculated that the nature of Thanos' cosmic energy reserve may be quasi-mystical in nature.

Telepathy: Thanos possesses psionic abilities. His mind is invulnerable to most forms of psychic attack. Thanos has demonstrated the ability to successfully defend himself against psychic assaults from Moondragon and Mantis. He also drove one of the Priests of Pama insane with a gesture, made the Hulk attack his fellow Avengers, and forced Conner Sims (the Anti-Man) to destroy his surroundings. Thanos also once attempted to destroy the mind of Drax the Destroyer with a powerful psychic attack called the Time-Mind Sync Warp, that plunges the victim's mind into a psychedelic dimension of insanity, causing death or incapacitation.

Matter Manipulation & Control: Thanos has demonstrated some ability to manipulate matter on the atomic level, similarly to other Earthborn Eternals. On one occasion, he turned the Skrull, Skragg into stone.

Curse Casting: Thanos seems to be at least partially skilled in magic, evidence being him cursing Deadpool to be unable to die.

Flight: After his fight with Star-Lord wielding the Mandalay Gem, Thanos was shown to fly self-propelled. Whether he recently acquired this ability or if he uses technical equipment for it hasn't been revealed yet.

Teleportation: Thanos can teleport himself across unknown distances through his link with his techno-mystical transport chair. When stranded in space with Terraxia, he could neither fly, nor teleport to his rescue, presumably because his chair got destroyed in the struggle before.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Thanos_(Earth-616)

Omega Effect: Darkseid wields a cosmic energy field called "Omega Effect", which proves integral, as it is the core from which his other abilities manifest from.

Cosmic Awareness: Darkseid can perceive and understand the workings of the universe on a cosmic level. He is able to perceive others even in different dimensions.
    Dimensional Travel: Darkseid's Omega Effect allows him to transverse through time and space at will, allowing him to cross between dimensions.
    Boomtube Projection: Darkseid's able to create and project his own Boomtube's at will, either getting from world to world under his own power or simply sending others to desired destinations at will.

Erosion Blasts: Darkseid can focus his Omega energy through his hands and arms to generate eradicating shockwaves to destroy the surrounding landscape.

Omega Beams: Darkseid can fire concentrated beams from his eyes which can lock on its target to ensure it never misses. They are powerful enough to harm Kryptonians, destroy planets, and fast enough to catch speedsters. Anything Darkseid destroys with them can be recreated with a thought.

Telekinesis: Darkseid can mentally influence the movement of objects and people with his mind, using simple gestures with his hands.

Telepathy: Darkseid was able to telepathically invade the mind of John Constantine, while in a separate dimension from him.

Size Alteration: Darkseid can adjust his size at will. Having once stretched an enlarged hand towards refugees from Earth 2 when Constantine tried to ferry them to safety in another universe.

Resurrection: Darkseid can seemingly revitalize those who've been dead for some time. Having been able to resurrect a long since deceased Steppenwolf, last seen within his personal chambers.
    Apokolips' Power Feed: Darkseid can replenish his lost strength by sealing himself in the heart of Apokolips and "eat" the planet's energy. Doing so, however, is a risk since Darkseid is unable to get free until the replenishment is complete and the draining can accelerate Apokolips' withering process.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Uxas_(Prime_Earth)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...kseid-2024668/
    No More True Form Darkseid?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRa...erman_singing/

Darkseid (avatar) new 52 for example and post-crisis is around the same strength as thanos normal but normal thanos is abit stronger however,so the mightyraccon vid is not correct.

It would be more correct if they were using pre-crisis darkseid vs normal thanos but it's not clear which version they are using here.

If they are using pre-crisis darkseid then it's the not version of darkseid that is not canon in comics anyway.

Anyway these fan made vids or non canon and not from marvel or dc anyway.
    It's one way of thinking what they think would happen and it does not make it true.

Some one could make a vid of wonder woman beating superman in fair fight and that would not make it true either.
    By the way thanos was not using the stone in vid. to boost his strength.
    He use it only few times for other thing not strength.
    If he use it for strength you would have seen it light up like what he did to captain marvel in endgame.
    These fan made vids are distorting the true current power of 616 thanos unfortunately to lot of folks now.

If you want to read and see how powerful true normal thanos is check out thanos comicvine and thanos marvel wiki and for darkseid powers dc prime earth wiki and darkseid comicvine.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-06-2020 at 12:51 AM.