Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

They must be reading our Doom thread here!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I loved that part of the concept too.

I think originally in FF 2099, that might have been in play, "they didn't really know for sure" if they were the originals, lost in time, etc.

I didn't seem to finish this series but later it seems they were somehow created by the Watcher.
    Yes I believe you are right about that. There was a single issue story that cleaned up the 2099 world, which I remember buying. The wiki on it says 2099 Manifest Destiny was the final story about the 2099 world. I think I have that stored in my 2099 box either that or I will check out Marvel Unlimited.

I probably can't create lists, but I will mention a personal one, maybe not my favorite but up there.

When Sue had to recruit Doom to fight the Overmind, because OM had taken over Reed.

I also like when Doom was incinerated but moved his body into another, that cover of Sue holding his melted mask. Byrne.

I agree about Super Villain team up, mostly good memories, I probably reread them over and over.
    Shroud's role intrigued me, but also some of this crossed over from the Wonder Man story in Avengers around that time, Attuma and Namor? (though I read a lot, some details are foggy, LOL)
    I almost included Fantastic Four #116....it was a favorite of mine. I rememer buying that and I am sure you do as well. You are right about the crossover too with SVTU and the Avengers but I forgot what the event was called.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I almost included Fantastic Four #116....it was a favorite of mine. I rememer buying that and I am sure you do as well. You are right about the crossover too with SVTU and the Avengers but I forgot what the event was called.
    Fantastic Four Issue #116
    Fantastic Four 116.jpg

Might be this one - Super Villain Team-up #9?
    Super Villain Team Up 9.jpg

Also one of my favorites that is often overlooked:
    Marvel Treasury Edition 28.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I don't these Bosslogic art have been posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...05908977559709

I just love the detail on the articulation of the gauntlet.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

That looks fantastic! is that some kind of 3D modeling?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I don't these Bosslogic art have been posted here:

I just love the detail on the articulation of the gauntlet.
    Yeah Bosslogic is awesome, some of his Marvel covers are amazing

I actually do not remember this title: The Private War of Dr. Doom, but it looks like the story part that crossed over with Avengers. Whizzer was still thought to be Wanda and Pietro's father, etc.
    I remember how much fun it was to have the Beast on the Avengers. I really liked him better there than with ....

... those mutants.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

The "event" may have had a name later/eventually. Or I just don't remember. Sort of minor non-named event era, it was.

I remember FF 116 went up to 25 cents, which wasn't too harsh. I think it was larger sized too.

I remember that Sue went to Doom because no one else was accessible to her. Some blurb mentions that all their other characters were away from NY (in reality, it may have been conceived this way? All the other stories were taking place "somewhere else"). And of course when she breaks into his embassy Doom is sitting there smoking and saying he had been expecting her!
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

The Super Villain Team up looks right, not the specific issues I might remember. I think it was an unusual, semi unusual cross over for Marvel. They did do some, not like today's ubiquitous crossovers.
    I can't remember exactly why, but the story as it went in and/or out of Avengers was a little different to me.
    But great stuff. great era.
    ~ Oberon ~

The "event" may have had a name later/eventually. Or I just don't remember. Sort of minor non-named event era, it was.

I remember FF 116 went up to 25 cents, which wasn't too harsh. I think it was larger sized too.

I remember that Sue went to Doom because no one else was accessible to her. Some blurb mentions that all their other characters were away from NY (in reality, it may have been conceived this way? All the other stories were taking place "somewhere else"). And of course when she breaks into his embassy Doom is sitting there smoking and saying he had been expecting her!
    Indeed. Truly Epic (IMHO):

I actually do not remember this title: The Private War of Dr. Doom, but it looks like the story part that crossed over with Avengers. Whizzer was still thought to be Wanda and Pietro's father, etc.
    I remember how much fun it was to have the Beast on the Avengers. I really liked him better there than with ....

... those mutants.
    The Super Villain Team up looks right, not the specific issues I might remember. I think it was an unusual, semi unusual cross over for Marvel. They did do some, not like today's ubiquitous crossovers.
    I can't remember exactly why, but the story as it went in and/or out of Avengers was a little different to me.
    But great stuff. great era.

The Private War of Doctor Doom was used on the title page of Avengers #156. Recently when Marvel collected this crossover with Avengers and Super-Villain Team-Up into a hard cover book, they gave the book the same title. The cover lists all the issues included. I had just remembered I did buy this. I know it involves The Avengers, Namor, Doom and Attuma. A pretty diverse mix of characters and writers and artists!

Here's the title page of Avengers #156. It was never really promoted by Marvel as an "event" but it was definitely a crossover between the two titles.

But it wasn't that unusual for Stan to do that between two titles in the early days of Marvel. One of the first I remember was when Doctor Doom appeared in the Daredevil story in #37-#38 where they switched bodies so that Doom could ambush the FF and there was a follow up in Fantastic Four #73. Doom fooled the FF into thinking he as still in Daredevil's body and was coming to attack them. This is one of my favorite Jack Kirby FF covers...

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-04-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Private War of Doctor Doom was used on the title page of Avengers #156. Recently when Marvel collected this crossover with Avengers and Super-Villain Team-Up into a hard cover book, they gave the book the same title. The cover lists all the issues included. I had just remembered I did buy this. I know it involves The Avengers, Namor, Doom and Attuma. A pretty diverse mix of characters and writers and artists!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/1OxCsP.jpg

Indeed. I love at the end when Cap did an investigation, which then continued in the next issue of SVTU with him travelling to the Latverian Embassy...

...in an effort to meet up & have a conversation with...

Doom!
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-04-2022 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

So this crossover that started in Super-Villain Team-up #9 then bounces back to Super-Villain-Team-up #10 where Cap shows Doom that the trail leads to the Red Skull, who is probably the only unredeemable Marvel villain. His Nazi roots will forever keep him on the dark side. Marvel really doesn't use him very much these days but he was revived in Ta-Nehisi Coates Captain America series in issue #30.

This battle would run for 3 issues in Super-Villain Team Up and eventually Doom and the Red Skull will have their final battle on the Moon. In the earlier Doom series in Astonishing Tales #5 the Red Skull also briefly took over Latveria while Doom was away on holiday on the French Riveria. A monarch has to have some leisure time after all. In an ironic twist of fate, both Namor and Doctor Doom disappear from the SVTU title and the final issues would feature the Red Skull. One thing that has annoyed me a bit over the years is that Marvel has mostly downplayed Doom's Romani heritage. The Red Skull is his natural enemy. If we go back to the original era of Doom's origin, his family would have been in peril of the Nazis but some issues of the comics have inferred that the corrupt monarchy of Latveria at the time were Nazi sympathizers.

Another thing that annoyed me over the years of being an X-Men villain with very little back story, Chris Claremont decided to make Magneto Jewish. Former X-Men collaborator John Byrne was quite scornful of this change and voiced his opinion that Claremont was merely mimicing Doctor Doom's origin as another minority. It's worth noting that both the Roma and Jews were vicitims in the Holocaust. Later on Magneto would also battle with the Red Skull in another example of him mimicing Doom. Well, that's my little soapbox speech for the week.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Finished the model finally ...

2022 Dr Doom on throne painted finished.jpg

2022 Dr Doom on throne painted finished2.jpg

2022-08-04 12.14.43.jpg

This was so detailed and difficult but fun to paint. I'm very satisfied with how it turned out.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Finished the model finally ...

2022 Dr Doom on throne painted finished.jpg

2022 Dr Doom on throne painted finished2.jpg

2022-08-04 12.14.43.jpg

This was so detailed and difficult but fun to paint. I'm very satisfied with how it turned out.
    This looks great. I like the colors you used. The color for the armor looks realistic. The cape and tunic are the right shade of green, a flat green not that's not too "bright". Plus a throne worthy of Doom!