Page 376 of 550 FirstFirst ... 276326366372373374375376377378379380386426476 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,640 of 8245
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

When was the last time a living, cisgendered woman got praise in this thread? How many non-drag-performer trans women get props?

Not that this is required, but I'm willing to accept that perhaps I'm noticing when women are getting trashed more. Flipping through, just a quick glance through pages does seem to bear out an imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I am sorry, but this is being taken way too far. No one is policing anyone on their sexuality. These are internal opinions formed based on the erratic behavior of someone who I personally know. Also, this has nothing to do with gender. If this was a male in question, it would be the same situation.
    Internal in what regard? They're not just inside you now, they are out in the world. This is a public, semi-protected thread.

And, if it had nothing to do with gender, it'd still be hypocritical. It would still be dangerous. But, it does seem, in the LGBT threads here at CBR, to always be about women faking. It's a tendency. I'm not faulting you for that tendency, either to pick apart and isolate women, or to pick apart and isolate what seems to be a generation you disagree with, because they didn't have the same struggles as you or yours. But, tendencies, on their own need to be dealt with, should be recognized. And, I do think that you went way too far positioning yourself as the struggle and anyone else as indulging in some fad. If it was just about bashing sex lives for being faddish, we'd never have stopped talking about David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I would never think to actually tell someone they are gay or straight or lesbian or trans. That is not my place. However, I am absolutely allowed to form my own opinion on the matter based on behavior.

I actually feel like we agree on the majority of this topic. Maybe I am just not explaining my view as well as I could be...
    We probably do agree on most of the basics, at least. I know from other posts/things, we agree on a lot.

I'm coming down on you, as much as I am, because this does matter. I think establishing a base line of what is appropriately gay or not, appropriately LGBT or not, here in this thread, is policing. It may not affect her. She won't see this thread, perhaps. But it will affect who feels welcome in the thread or not. It does affect the board. It affects people who casually read what you've written and go, "Oh, I came out, then I wasn't brave enough, so I went back in the closet, but I still looked at ____, maybe I'm not consistent enough and they'd just think I was a fraud" or people who whatever in their life. People who might see the post and see where you delve into those who come late to the party and haven't struggled enough may feel intimidated or shamed, dismissed, or just get pissed off, and for what? What's the benefits to those costs?

If anyone came in here and started systemically denouncing your LGBT status or participation in the community, if someone came in and started insisting marriage isn't gay, and gay men don't get married re Kieran, it'd be offensive and hurtful. Even if they never did it to your face, just here on a forum, it'd be hurtful and damaging. If not to you or Kieran, to someone seeing the thread. (And, it'd be super dumb. And, in this thread, agains the tone and point of the thread.) That's why I'm not sure we should be tearing apart someone else's sexuality or the way they identify based on speculation and anecdotal frustrations, not because you don't have a right to be frustrated - you do - but for the sake of how venting that frustration publicly can affect communities as wholes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Can we at least agree that everybody who is afraid of the label "queer" is not a real LGBTI* and can't get into our rainbow colored tree house of fabulosity anymore?

No one is allowed to use the word, for themselves or ever! It would only promote self-IDing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Don't lie. You highlighted: Denial, dillusion and just plain lieing happen AND YET then wrote Plain lying happens, huh?
    How is that mockery, if that's what was written and then a response? The optimum there, the important factor, isn't the spelling, it's the suggestion of lying. Which, natch, you just accused me of a few posts back.

I think it was an important point to tackle, so how was she supposed to do that without referring to what you wrote?

I am going to halt my part in this long enough to say thank you for the breakdown for the plays. They sound interesting and I always appreciate your way with summaries and willingness to set down lists like that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'm sure legion_quest will be thrilled to hear that.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sssshhhh, dont get me started. I'll only get called out for being offended by something someone else isn't offended by, only for them to miss the complete hypocrisy of how much they point out when people offend them - but still continue doing what I've said I find offensive!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Anyone watching the Great British Bake Off? Ohhhhhh, how I love that series. Was sad Sue Perkins wasn't in last weeks episode, just because she missed being there when Mary Berry said "I'll munch on some carpet". OH SUE!!!! How could you miss that moment??? But she did do that delightful segment on biscuits, so I can't be too sad.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what to say. How good a friend is it? I mean how much does his friendship matter to you? I'm not sure (personally) if I could be bothered with someone who didn't support my sexuality (yet expects you to support him at his wedding?). HELL NO! Double standard BE GONE!

This still makes me sad; I guess (ignorantly) I thought Australia was LGBT friendly because of their pioneering LGBT films... are the opposition party pro-LGBT? When is the next election?

Yes... yes... I too am curious... about the story. It sounds ummm, sounds deep.
    I love the great British bake off! It's so British! Mary berry is a legend and I love the innuendo.

I've known him for years and to be honest I don't know how to fight anymore. We just had our election and Australia voted for the homophobic party again. The best they could do was offer us a plebiscite where they spend $160 million asking everyone if LGBT people should be allowed to marry. The kicker of course is that homophobic people are not only allowed to vote, they also get a platform to go into the media and tell people we're worse the pedophiles. Even if there is a yes vote it's not binding so the government will just ignore it anyway. The best we can do is try to shut down the plebiscite to save vulnerable LGBT youth and hope that Australia makes a better decision during the next election cycle (in three years).

I think the worst part is legally and gloatingly, Australian law insists every wedding has the line "in Australia we believe marriage is between a man and a woman" so not only will I be alone without my boyfriend, I will have to endure their sniggers and pitying stares when they say that bit. So not good times.

I think I'll just shut up and do it because it's easier than justifying for the rest of my life if I don't go and then rush back to my boyfriend and relax with his cuddles. But I don't feel clean about it

BANNED

To lighten up the mood: I might need this.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    When was the last time a living, cisgendered woman got praise in this thread?
    Literally the post before your posted that...

That's why I'm not sure we should be tearing apart someone else's sexuality or the way they identify based on speculation and anecdotal frustrations, not because you don't have a right to be frustrated - you do - but for the sake of how venting that frustration publicly can affect communities as wholes.
    Answer me these two questions:
    a) across all of history, have people (on occasions) appropriated LGBT culture and dubbed themselves "LGBT" when they are in-fact not?
    b) where on Earth are we supposed to talk about those situations, if not here?

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sssshhhh, dont get me started. I'll only get called out for being offended by something someone else isn't offended by, only for them to miss the complete hypocrisy of how much they point out when people offend them - but still continue doing what I've said I find offensive!
    Look, I'm very confused by all of this that you done here said; all I know is I'M OFFENDED by whatever it is you're saying, if indeed you are saying anything (it was very confusing: these triple negatives, double entendre, singular smiley faces; confusing I say!!!!).
    #offended #superOFFENDED #shame #shame #shame #GoT #shame

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sandi Toksvig On Facing Death Threats And Abuse To Inspire Others To Come Out As Gay
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...ef=uk-gay-news

Toksvig, who is a writer, actor, comedian and co-founder of The Women’s Equality Party, said her brave announcement in 1994 was met with death threats and hatred. “It was terrifying, we had very unpleasant death threats, we had to go into hiding with the children for two weeks,” she recalled. “We had to have police protection and security.” Despite it being a horrific ordeal for her family, Toksvig’s bravery was met with hope and gratitude among the LGBT community, as it helped others find the courage to come out as gay. She recalled: “I began to get letters from women saying, ‘I’d never dared, and thanks to you I’m now going to say something’.”

Speaking exclusively to Makers UK, Toksvig said she knew from an early age that she was gay. She said she felt “awkward” and “uncomfortable”, particularly as there weren’t any role models for gay people growing up in the Sixties and early Seventies. “Nobody talked about it,” she explained. “It brings out the humour in you because that’s the defence mechanism. People don’t ask you a question about a boyfriend or a partner if you come back with a funny remark.” Toksvig grew up in New York and was accepted to study law at Cambridge University in 1976.

“I wanted to be a great lawyer,” she said. “I wanted to be a human rights lawyer. But what I discovered along the way is that it’s perfectly possible to fight injustice and seek better human rights for everybody in ways other than through the courtroom. And maybe sometimes people pay more attention if you do it through humour.”

[MORE IN LINK]

[a special first "sneak peak" of Sandy as the NEW host of QI; I love Stephen Fry, but I couldn't think of a more worthy and perfect replacement; hope he guest stars on Alan's team at some point]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-03-2016 at 01:16 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

#gbbo

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I love the great British bake off! It's so British! Mary berry is a legend and I love the innuendo.
    Then THIS is for you...

11 Times The Great British Bake Off Summed Up Our Own Cooking Pain
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b042aee74c56e6

1. When you don’t have the correct utensil so you just make do with what you’ve got to hand.

2. When the recipe says add alcohol and you just want to have a drink.

3. When you just want to eat it all before it’s cooked because you have zero willpower.

4. When you just wanted to make your grandma a birthday cake but you got a little carried away and your family take the piss.

5. When it doesn’t look quite how it looks in the book.

6. When you remember you didn’t add the baking powder but it is all too late.

7. When you got too cocky and deviated from the recipe, and now you have no idea how to fix it.

8. When you know you’re ruining a national dish but you’re powerless to stop it.

9. When you smell burning but want to live in denial.

10. When you remember where you left that missing utensil.

11. When you wonder why you didn’t just buy it from M&S and pass it off as your own.

I've known him for years and to be honest I don't know how to fight anymore. We just had our election and Australia voted for the homophobic party again. The best they could do was offer us a plebiscite where they spend $160 million asking everyone if LGBT people should be allowed to marry. The kicker of course is that homophobic people are not only allowed to vote, they also get a platform to go into the media and tell people we're worse the pedophiles. Even if there is a yes vote it's not binding so the government will just ignore it anyway. The best we can do is try to shut down the plebiscite to save vulnerable LGBT youth and hope that Australia makes a better decision during the next election cycle (in three years).
    Which is hilarious! The population of Australia is 24,366,418. Let's say 1/10 are LGBT (that's very high, but I'm illustrating a point); leaves us 2,430,000 (average). F*ck it, why not just divide the £160 million between the 2.4 million LGBT and they can pay to go abroad, have a wedding in the UK, and live a very happy life. What a waste of money! What a waste!

I think the worst part is legally and gloatingly, Australian law insists every wedding has the line "in Australia we believe marriage is between a man and a woman" so not only will I be alone without my boyfriend, I will have to endure their sniggers and pitying stares when they say that bit. So not good times.
    Oh god, Silvermoth, that's awful. I'm so sorry, GOD that's disgusting, that they require the service to belittle LGBT people. What horrible little toad made that rule?
    #cyberhug <-- sorry I used all my gif allowance on the Bake Off above

I think I'll just shut up and do it because it's easier than justifying for the rest of my life if I don't go and then rush back to my boyfriend and relax with his cuddles. But I don't feel clean about it
    My suggestion: go to the service, because that is showing your respect, but leave str8 after (lol); to make the point you won't celebrate with people who won't celebrate you. It's respectful, but makes your views clear.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Some suggestions for all our fall non-comicbook reading.

These writers are using their voices to clear out racist, sexist and homophobic spaces to make room for all of our stories.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Black Girl Dangerous, founded by one of the authors at your link, has some crazy smart stuff.

And, they publish comics, too!

Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Gay bishop: Appointment of Nicholas Chamberlain 'major error' says Gafcon
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37267148

Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain revealed he was gay and in relationship on Friday. He was consecrated by the archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby - who has said he knew about the bishop's sexuality.

But Gafcon, a group which includes conservative Anglicans around the world, said there had been an "element of secrecy" in his appointment. A statement from Gafcon said the news about Bishop Chamberlain would "exacerbate" divisions within the Church of England and the wider Anglican world. "There are aspects of this appointment which are a serious cause for concern for biblically orthodox Anglicans around the world, and therefore we believe that this appointment is a major error," the Gafcon statement added. It said the "element of secrecy" in Bishop Chamberlain's appointment gave the impression "that it has been arranged with the aim of presenting the Church with a 'fait accompli', rather than engaging with possible opposition." The statement was signed by the Most Reverend Peter Jensen, who is the group's general secretary, and Canon Andy Lines, who is the chairman of Gafcon's UK task force.

Bishop Chamberlain's sexuality was disclosed in an interview with the Guardian, and it has been reported that he gave the interview because his private life was about to be exposed by a Sunday newspaper.

[MORE IN LINK]

The Bishop of Grantham became a suffragan in the Lincoln diocese in November last year

Forgot to add, good sir; you do know I made a CBR fan thread for GBBO... right?

(GBBO) the Great British BAKE OFF
    http://community.comicbookresources....itish-BAKE-OFF

!!!WARNING!!! Contains spoilers for who went last week !!!WARNING!!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-03-2016 at 09:06 AM.

BANNED

Black Girl Dangerous, founded by one of the authors at your link, has some crazy smart stuff.

And, they publish comics, too!

Clearly, black people who don't let white people touch their hair are the real racists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    I personally loathe these Jenny-come-lately's who are suddenly kinda lesbian/sorta bi now that it's the cool thing. Now that there's no struggle, now that it's hip and that they can associate themselves to a minority but don't have to do fuck-all or change anything about their own daily lives.
    That's just judgmental bullshit and it's squarely aimed at women. "There's no struggle" in being a woman, a lesbian or bisexual woman (who may also be of any race, creed, social class, etc) is just stupid. The whole "jenny-come-lately" thing is bs. As an accusation, it's a step away from martyring yourself by claiming you turned Oscar Wilde gay while crucified on an Act Up badge.

I know Mr.Majestic is better than that.

Nobody likes it if anyone comes in here and tries to police the gay male identity or the terms that your specific self-IDing community refers to themselves with, how you live or act as gay men. Policing and belittling everyone/anyone else is just as unbecoming. You may know the woman in question, but I doubt you know her well enough to mandate her sexual identity. She's earned the right to her feelings or inclinations, or her sexual identity, as much as anyone has. EM Forster was gay as all gay gets, but he didn't have sex with men until he was, what, in his forties?

I'm just saying, we're not the gay police. Or, the queer police. Or, the lesbian transit authority.
    I'm sorry t hedge coke but things have changed. The goalposts have been moved. Things are still scarily horrendous for the LGBT(Q) in much of the world however they have gotten better in some locales. To the point that it's fashionable to be part of the community. I personally feel that some vanilla people on the left that need to internalize some part of a struggle, any struggle actually, will use sexual orientation/gender identity as an easy one to latch onto.

Cases in point Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham. Both White from Upper Class families yet want to pipe in whenever minority rights are in question. Bam! Suddenly they're at the very least bi-curious. There is a definite danger that the LGBT(Q) dialogue gets hi-jacked by some who are at most tangentially connected to the struggle. The movement, if people are not careful, will be inundated with their own Rachel Dolezal's. Women who will gleefully self ID themselves with this minority group for whatever reason or men who will gay-flirt for monetary purposes see James Franco for example.
    Last edited by Mr.Majestic; 09-03-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: anal

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    I'm sorry t hedge coke but things have changed. The goalposts have been moved. Things are still scarily horrendous for the LGBT(Q) in much of the world however they have gotten better in some locales. To the point that it's fashionable to be part of the community. I personally feel that some vanilla people on the left that need to internalize some part of a struggle, any struggle actually, will use sexual orientation/gender identity as an easy one to latch onto.

Cases in point Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham. Both White from Upper Class families yet want to pipe in whenever minority rights are in question. Bam! Suddenly they're at the very least bi-curious. There is a definite danger that the LGBT(Q) dialogue gets hi-jacked by some who are at most tangentially connected to the struggle. The movement, if people are not careful, will be inundated with their own Rachel Dolezal's. Women who will gleefully self ID themselves with this minority group for whatever reason or men who will gay-flirt for monetary purposes see James Franco for example.
    I really don't see any "danger" from popular celebrities not identifying as straight. The more the merrier. And again, can you name a man who does that who bothers you? Are you upset by James Franco doing what he does?

The thing I find much more bothering is straight couples going to gay clubs to be "edgy" and because we have good music, because they are moving into our safe spaces.

James Franco, or even Robbie Williams have played that game a little (and Maj, as a side note: I think it's best to focus on males in these scenarios). They have both cashed in (figuratively and literally) on "are they/aren't they?" tease with their fans. There is being supportive of your LGBT fans, being proud of your LGBT fans and... then there is James Franco. And maybe he's struggling, maybe so is Robbie Williams (I seem to remember a newspaper article about him being "tired and emotional" -- code -- on stage one time, and outed himself, then laughed it off as a joke days after). At what point is it being proud of your LGBT fans and... then... something else? Something more insidious? I don't know the answer.

But then there is a growing backlash against 'gay4pay' stars too (nowadays, more than ever, they get A LOT more hate -- you only need to see Cody Cummings name come up -- lol -- and you'll find someone venting hate at him). And I think part of the backlash is against [insert person]'s desire/willingness to basically use the LGBT community to make money off, without ever actually having to be apart of them. I'm sure the same is true in lesbian porn, but since I've never watched it, I wouldn't know; therefore I can only hypothesis. I would guess there is a similar backlack going on.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-03-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Question Major LGBT figures from history?

NEW TOPIC: can anyone help with my signature? I like it to keep an air of fun, while remaining informative. I've wanted to "ping" as many major, defining LGBT stars/historical figures as possible, one who have truly changed everything for us. Sadly I can only know so many, so: HELP!!! Anyone I've missed? Anyone you'd take out?

Signature: "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Turing. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We are so generous we DeGeneres. We are Olivier, Gielgud, Guinness, McKellan. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato and Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

All-New Member

NEW TOPIC: can anyone help with my signature? I like it to keep an air of fun, while remaining informative. I've wanted to "ping" as many major, defining LGBT stars/historical figures as possible, one who have truly changed everything for us. Sadly I can only know so many, so: HELP!!! Anyone I've missed? Anyone you'd take out?

Signature: "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Turing. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We are so generous we DeGeneres. We are Olivier, Gielgud, Guinness, McKellan. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato and Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."
    Morrissey?