Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Default "as I understand it now the X department is forbidden to create new characters." - Chris Claremont

Oh boy. Take a look at this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...haracters-now/

"“Combat Cow is not a mutant. Because if he was a mutant there would be a war between a publishing company and a film company and we don’t want that."

"I have to say quite honestly as I understand it now the X department is forbidden to create new characters.

(SHOCK RESPONSE)

“Well… who owns them?

“All because all new characters become the film property of Fox.

“There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?”

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Right there, in black and white, from the recognized all-father of the x-franchise himself.

BANNED

I want a war between publishing and film company.

Marvel sold its very soul for the almighty film dollar.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Not being able to create new x-characters is probably a good thing. It's not as though they were doing anything significant with the majority of characters they have now...anyway.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

If anyone other than Chris Claremont had said this, I would have taken it with a grain of salt. But now that he's come out and said it, I worry that this is going to be a major hindrance for the X-books. If they can't create new characters, then that's horribly limiting. That means we can't get a character like Kamala Khan down the line without Fox's lawyers getting hostile. It sets a dangerous precedent and I think we might feel the effects in the next few years.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

compleX.jpg
    How I feel
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

If it's true when did this become a rock solid thing? Bendis has created a number of new mutants since he began his run so it must have been a fairly recent edict.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    If anyone other than Chris Claremont had said this, I would have taken it with a grain of salt. But now that he's come out and said it, I worry that this is going to be a major hindrance for the X-books. If they can't create new characters, then that's horribly limiting. That means we can't get a character like Kamala Khan down the line without Fox's lawyers getting hostile. It sets a dangerous precedent and I think we might feel the effects in the next few years.
    Marvel can create as many X-characters like that as they like, they just can't put them on film. It's an internal policy Claremont is talking about, not something enforced by Fox lawyers.

With the way Bendis senselessly kills random people we are screwed!

Here we go again.

Not that this particular issue matters either way, because when was a worthwhile new X-character last created? Sometimes less is more. Would perhaps not be so good if this also prevented creation of new villain-of-the-week/story/event characters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Marvel can create as many X-characters like that as they like, they just can't put them on film.
    But Fox can! (Well, could if they wanted to which is far from certain, especially with the dross that has been created lately.)
    Last edited by yet another; 10-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.

So the last new mutants will see for the foreseeable future are Bendis' Uncanny crew and Aaron's circus from WatXM. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    If it's true when did this become a rock solid thing? Bendis has created a number of new mutants since he began his run so it must have been a fairly recent edict.
    Yeah, I'm not sure this is a rock solid thing at all, mainly for that reason. However, Marvel tends to give Bendis more lattitude than other creators.

What is obvious, though, is them not promoting anything X or FF related in any other media. Soon the FF won't even have a comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    Not being able to create new x-characters is probably a good thing. It's not as though they were doing anything significant with the majority of characters they have now...anyway.
    To true.

How many background X-character in a given book that never get any panel time? The X-franchise isn't hurting for characters.

I also question the creditability of article because it is from Bleeding cool and because Bendis shop team consist of new characters outside of four members.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Here we go again.

Not that this particular issue matters either way, because when was a worthwhile new X-character last created?

But Fox can! (Well, could if they wanted to which is far from certain, especially with the dross that has been created lately.)
    Doesn't matter if the character is worthwhile or not. What we have here is an administrative edict effectively CAPPING creative freedom. For ridiculous reasons. Unacceptable.

Have to admit, my anger has been very tempered by the news of a new Squirrel Girl ongoing. So i'm actually in a great mood.