Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It took Timm a few episodes to get used to the CGI, too. I would just start watching it and if you don't fall in love with the show and its characters after Mogo shows up, it's just not for you.
    Sounds like a plan. I treated myself to the Bond Blu-ray collection and once I wrap up my run through them I'm going to hop on GL. Mogo seems like a good a spot as any!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm hoping they're done with the "main GL" stuff for the time being. Put the spotlight on whoever they like based on what stories they want to tell, but never put all their eggs into one basket again and ignoring everyone else. Otherwise you'll encounter the same problems and the same fan reactions. This franchise isn't capable of sustaining all of its characters at once, but it's also structured in a way where you can't depend on one character forever. It's never worked like that. Any kind of "replacement" will always be temporary due to its fluctuating nature. There won't ever be a "main GL" for decades and decades regardless of who the corporate machine decides to get behind.
    I couldn't agree more. And, this was pretty much where the franchise was heading in the mid-1980s when Wein had Hal quit for John to take over as the main GL, then Englehart revamped Guy, and brought back Hal as the leader of a giant team of GLs. Despite the editorial tug-o-war between Hefler and O'Neil, you still had Hal, John and Guy sharing the spotlight more or less equally until Emerald Twilight hit and brought about this idiotic idea that there can only be one central GL, which splintered GL fandom and pitted them against each other ever since. Despite his overtures during GL Rebirth, Johns clearly failed to heal those rifts with John fans, but I think Venditti did a decent job of showcasing the strength of the characters as an ensemble.

Unfortunately, all those decades of in-fighting amongst GL fans has become our default state. We're constantly afraid that our character is going to get the shaft this time while they keep churning out more and more human GLs to take the spotlight before the previous ones had even gotten a chance to shine.

Irregardless, I'm sure some GL fans are going to left disappointed again by however this shakes out. Likely Kyle Rayner fans, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I treated myself to the Bond Blu-ray collection and once I wrap up my run through them I'm going to hop on GL. Mogo seems like a good a spot as any!
    Oooo, Live and Let Die is always great rewatch, esspecially when you consider that it exists in the same universe as the Christopher Reeve Superman movies via Sherrif Pepper!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

You know, something I’m hoping they do with the new book coming out in March is have a big storyline involving Kanjar Ro, where he becomes an international human trafficker, who keeps slipping through the Corps fingers. Make him into a truly menacing galactic figure, instead of the joke he’s been relegated to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    You know, something I’m hoping they do with the new book coming out in March is have a big storyline involving Kanjar Ro, where he becomes an international human trafficker, who keeps slipping through the Corps fingers. Make him into a truly menacing galactic figure, instead of the joke he’s been relegated to.
    This would be a great way to explain human populations on other planets.

BANNED

When Johns did write Stewart, he crowned him by only bringing up Xanshi over and over again and then having John kill Mogo, while retconning away Hal dating an underage girl and wiping out existence.

Didio tried to kill John off. It's no surprise John has been able to rise with his departure.

Tomasi favored Guy, spotlighting him more, writing his solo, developing him more, and relegating John to boring sidekick.

These were not accidents. They were on the books for a decade. No such thing as ten years of accidents. These guys all make the list.

Green Lantern Fan Poster
    by
    SZSProductions

https://www.deviantart.com/szsproduc...ster-858602289

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is all I hear and I just can't get past the CGI. I've yet to really dive into the show and all I hear is its praises.

Anyone here who loves the show but hated the initial look? How long did it take you to get used to it? I want to give the show a fair shot and knowing it has a 2-3 episode acclimation period may help.

But going in cold? I just can't do it with the CGI. Sometimes CGI doesn't bug me, but it does when I see clips from GL:TAS.

Sell me, boys. I want to love again.
    I'm someone who generally prefers CG to traditional 2D but there is some short comings with it in the show (mainly any setting set on Earth looks like something from the early 90s and it's definitely below something like the Star Wars Clone Wars show) but most of the show is set in space/alien planets so it's not too much a problem. And I mostly think Timm's style actually translates well to 3D CGI so the characters models always looked decent to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Green Lantern Fan Poster
    by
    SZSProductions

https://www.deviantart.com/szsproduc...ster-858602289
    Man, that Sapphire costume just gets worse the more time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    These were not accidents. They were on the books for a decade. No such thing as ten years of accidents. These guys all make the list.
    How about instead of making these lists, you just find comics you enjoy and move on? These are superhero comics, not civil rights violations. Nobody's pretending that the past isn't chock full of editorial mismanagement, creative mistakes, and outright bad behavior, but you've got to stop focusing on the negative and remember that you're reading these comics for entertainment.

John Stewart is getting to headline the Green Lantern comic for the first time since 1986 and it's being written by a guy who is clearly passionate about the character. That is something worth setting aside past grievances to focus on what looks to be a bright future that is at least trying to avoid and correct the mistakes of the past.

Spectacular Member

When Johns did write Stewart, he crowned him by only bringing up Xanshi over and over again and then having John kill Mogo, while retconning away Hal dating an underage girl and wiping out existence.

Didio tried to kill John off. It's no surprise John has been able to rise with his departure.

Tomasi favored Guy, spotlighting him more, writing his solo, developing him more, and relegating John to boring sidekick.

Any proof of that? instead of believing Bleeding Cool rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Any proof of that? instead of believing Bleeding Cool rumors?
    Yes, Joshua Hale Fialkov already confirmed editorial making a suggestion for John getting killed off, which is why he decided to leave.

On the bright side, John Stewart came a long ways.

Any fan of any DC character could easily make a "list" if they were so inclined. No character has been exempt from terrible decisions or being overlooked or treated poorly in some way. John has had good stories as well as bad - and he's still around, he was leader of the Corps, he's been on the JLA for years now and he's about the get a solo - and you still insist on wallowing in bitterness and going over your "list"? I guess Redjeck better not disappoint you...

How about instead of making these lists, you just find comics you enjoy and move on? These are superhero comics, not civil rights violations. Nobody's pretending that the past isn't chock full of editorial mismanagement, creative mistakes, and outright bad behavior, but you've got to stop focusing on the negative and remember that you're reading these comics for entertainment.

John Stewart is getting to headline the Green Lantern comic for the first time since 1986 and it's being written by a guy who is clearly passionate about the character. That is something worth setting aside past grievances to focus on what looks to be a bright future that is at least trying to avoid and correct the mistakes of the past.
    That is pretty much what John Stewart needs. Someone who's very passionate about the character. A passionate writer will invest deeply into a character, even when the defining history of said character is very limited.

amen and amen again, preach!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Any fan of any DC character could easily make a "list" if they were so inclined. No character has been exempt from terrible decisions or being overlooked or treated poorly in some way. John has had good stories as well as bad - and he's still around, he was leader of the Corps, he's been on the JLA for years now and he's about the get a solo - and you still insist on wallowing in bitterness and going over your "list"? I guess Redjeck better not disappoint you...
    He's gonna be very disappointed if thorne doesn't deliver.