Page 16 of 233 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Those two points have already been contradicted in Elseworlds. The Kate there was confident, flirty, had a dry sense of humor, was emotionally open with those she liked (in that case, Kara), and did not abide foolishness, perceived or otherwise. All those are true of comic!Kate, even if they're not the full picture, and hardly.
    Well no. That's how Kate was written. It's not how she was played. But like I said, you're seeing something a lot of people aren't. And to be fair, I'm sure a lot of people are too, it's all subjective in the end.

The thing is, I don't consider myself an acting snob. I've been watching telly and movies for a long time, very little of which would be considered highbrow entertainment (seriously, I really enjoyed the aforementioned Birds of Prey) - and from the thousands of performances I've probably seen, across all those shows and films, I honestly couldn't pick out more than a handful of actors who have ever been bad enough to take me out of whatever I'm watching.

But Ruby is one of them.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Well no. That's how Kate was written. It's not how she was played.
    Why are you saying there's some sort of discrepancy between the two? I don't get it.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Why are you saying there's some sort of discrepancy between the two? I don't get it.
    I was talking about Ruby's acting being one-note and being devoid of charisma. Which you refuted by listing a selection of the character's qualities in the Elseworld's crossover. But the latter has nothing to do with the former.

Yes, Kate as a character can be given dialogue to suggest that she's...

...confident, flirty, had a dry sense of humor, was emotionally open with those she liked (in that case, Kara), and did not abide foolishness, perceived or otherwise.
    But that doesn't mean Rose can deliver those lines or give a performance that actually makes the dialogue convincing.

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Except that she did.

In Elseworlds.

A big enough sample size in that ep, maybe not. But she still did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I was talking about Ruby's acting being one-note and being devoid of charisma. Which you refuted by listing a selection of the character's qualities in the Elseworld's crossover. But the latter has nothing to do with the former.

Yes, Kate as a character can be given dialogue to suggest that she's...

But that doesn't mean Rose can deliver those lines or give a performance that actually makes the dialogue convincing.
    Yeah sometimes an actor can't deliver on what's being said take the movie Junior dumb film about a man getting pregnant and yet the hardest thing for me to believe was Arnold Schwarzenegger was a Scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Except that she did.

In Elseworlds.
    I'm going to have to assume you mean that literally.

Woah, the dislike bar on the trailer really grew. Salty manbaby troll attack, I'm guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Woah, the dislike bar on the trailer really grew. Salty manbaby troll attack, I'm guessing?
    Mostly yeah, I'd guess. It's discouraging, but probably won't amount to anything concrete.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I'm about to do a second watch, but I don't know - did they merge Kate's character with Damian somewhat? She seems...like a bit of a brat.

I say this because I noticed the version of Kate in the animation Bad Blood seemed to be merged with Jason - twin pistols, talked into using rubber bullets, peer to Dick rather than Bruce, Batman deciding (in his video notes) whether to "take her under his wing" or chase her out of the city.

If they did merge her personality with Damian's a little - I wouldn't be surprised is all, after what they did with the animated version.

Okay, after a second watch, overall I like it. I would have preferred if they'd stayed closer to Elegy, but ah well.

I think the lead actor's inexperience shows, but I think as she gets more settled into the role she will improve, since this is her first lead role I think.

Some of the dialogue was a bit tacky, but will likely sound better in full context, or most likely the writing will improve once the series gets going proper.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-17-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I'm about to do a second watch, but I don't know - did they merge Kate's character with Damian somewhat? She seems...like a brat.

I say this because I noticed the version of Kate in the animation Bad Blood seemed to be merged with Jason - twin pistols, talked into using rubber bullets, peer to Dick rather than Bruce, Batman deciding (in his video notes) whether to "take her under his wing" or chase her out of the city.

If they did merge her personality with Damian's a little - I wouldn't be surprised is all, after what they did with the animated version.
    I don't know about merging her with Damian, but I think they're definitely adding on some more flaws to her at first. Here it's jealousy of Batman and a desire to be recognized (neither of which are in the comics), at the least. That's fine to start with if she grows from it, and Elseworlds seems to indicate that.

Here is a the scene where she looks at his suit, I don't think it was already posted here:

And an interview here:
    https://youtu.be/_rMiFmLs9MU
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-17-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Can't wait for this series. Trailer looked great!

I don't know about merging her with Damian, but I think they're definitely adding on some more flaws to her at first. Here it's jealousy of Batman and a desire to be recognized (neither of which are in the comics), at the least.
    Yeah, well, in this trailer she comes off as much more childish than I'm used to (in the comics). But the animated version was insecure and childish as well, so. It's not a bad thing, as you said it gives more room for character growth, it's just a bit jarring at first - when I'm used to viewing the character a certain way. I still say she seems a bit merged with Damian for the arrogance and such.

That's fine to start with if she grows from it, and Elseworlds seems to indicate that.
    Well, yes, in this trailer she's all about getting credit, and kinda like hey I can do it too. While in Elseworlds the question who she is comes up a few times, and she doesn't bother to answer, like she no longer has anything to prove.

I get the sense that there is a much bigger age gap between Bruce and Kate in this version, than in the comics, and going by the trailer it appears that she may have a 'Remus Complex' of sorts.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-17-2019 at 05:35 AM.

That's clearly a big part of it... Cos what else is new. I don't think it's just the usual suspects though. Certainly across social media, there's a significant amount of people who remain unhappy with Ruby's casting and her acting (so far).

And we're not talking about the usual anti-Brie "Waaaah, she supports women and I hate it!!!" mob, but rather people who just wanted a character as special and iconic as Kate to have been played by an actor that could do her justice.

Can people just not liking something without being labeled as trolls?