Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

You can cherry-pick the rare jewels that came out of the 90's all you want but it changes nothing. The 90's will ALWAYS carry the rotten stench until you kids witness the next screw-up.

Though I don't think that sin will occur again for quite some time. We got us a Deadpool movie coming out!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    You can cherry-pick the rare jewels that came out of the 90's all you want but it changes nothing. The 90's will ALWAYS carry the rotten stench until you kids witness the next screw-up.

Though I don't think that sin will occur again for quite some time. We got us a Deadpool movie coming out!
    Yeah, but no.

Sandman, Enigma, Alan Davis' Excalibur, Warren Ellis' Excalibur, Busiek's Avengers, Marvels, Sin City, Preacher, Hellblazer, Morrison's JLA, The Invisibles, From Hell, Savage Dragon, a ton of awesome manga translations, etc, isn't cherrypicking, it's that there was a lot of great comics in the 90s and "the stench" is generally a handful of books that just weren't to someone's/your particular tastes.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I liked Busiek's Avengers, Astro City started in the 90's too I think. I also liked Jim Valentino's Guardians of the Galaxy, and Gen13 is always a guilty pleasure read for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    The 90's will ALWAYS carry the rotten stench until you kids witness the next screw-up.
    We already live in the 90's 2.0.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    We already live in the 90's 2.0.
    You mean with 52 stuff and DC films? and do you think DC is repeating 90s mistakes and taking the wrong lessons from Nolan?

And what about 50's horror EC comics? do you consider them "grimdark"?

Here's a fun fact for this thread: it's '90s not 90's.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Here's a fun fact for this thread: it's '90s not 90's.
    An error i made.

All-New Member

There's crap and greatness in every decade and in every year.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astrozac View Post
    There's crap and greatness in every decade and in every year.
    Even the 80s which i consider a great decade since i was born 35 years ago and thought was a golden age?

Amazing Member

The nineties is when I started buying comics monthly so that time does hold a place for me. Superboy and Generation X where my first two series, than Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman etc... yep, I started buying Superman when the Electro storyline started. *I thought it was a good jumping on point. Witchblade was also my first non Marvel or DC series I started to read. *I was a teenager during the nineties* At least titles where not rebooted every few months with the same title and then have no clue what goes where if you ever started something up you have never read! -_-

I wanted that new Spider-Man costume *the one that became Spider-Girls* and Ben Reilly as Spider-Man as I never had all that many stories with Peter before that.

And yes, I liked Chromium covers. I kind of still do.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    An error i made.
    Common mistake.

Extraordinary Member

If you think the 90s were bad you must hate the first decade of the 2000s cause that made the 90s look like Gold.

BANNED

You mean with 52 stuff and DC films? and do you think DC is repeating 90s mistakes and taking the wrong lessons from Nolan?

I think the original Nu52 meeting started with "let's repeat the mistakes of the 90s."

BANNED

I think the original Nu52 meeting started with "let's repeat the mistakes of the 90s."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I don't think so. Early New 52 was nothing like that, a few books excepted.

It's just that the New 52 coincided with Bob Harras being made editor in chief, who real quickly started to rule with a micro-managing and very 90's-minded fist. Practically no writer lasted longer than one arc on their books because they all got Harrassed, greenlighted long-term plots un-greenlighted, written scripts scrapped, line-ups randomly changed...