Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Im buying three copies.

I was sold on this from the start, but after seeing the preview I'm sold even more!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im buying three copies.

I was sold on this from the start, but after seeing the preview I'm sold even more!
    Right there with you, I'll probably get a second copy myself just to give to someone.

Mighty Member

Gurihiru can do no wrong when it comes to art.

Astonishing Member

LOVE the concept, and Superman's look!

Little iffy about the art though. Would have preferred something retro...a bit more in lines with the Golden Age comics or the Fleischer cartoons.

The KKK is irrelevant today so this is a pass for me.

Before anyone says I support the Clan (lmao) just don't. You have no idea how much I hate them due to my family background. I simply feel they are unworthy of inclusion in any modern comic book even when they get their asses kicked. They shouldn't be given any attention at all. They should be left to fade into obscurity where they belong with other terrible relics of the past.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It'd be a bit weird if it was taking place in a modern setting, considering the Klan itself as an institution is decrepit now. But since it takes place in the 40s, when it very much had sway and power, I think it has the potential to be a nice history lesson as well as a just a fun Superman story.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It'd be a bit weird if it was taking place in a modern setting, considering the Klan itself as an institution is decrepit now. But since it takes place in the 40s, when it very much had sway and power, I think it has the potential to be a nice history lesson as well as a just a fun Superman story.
    Well, seeing them depicted in any modern form of media is too painful for me so I'll pass. I seriously wouldn't even have purchased Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I love) if I had known they would be given a random encounter scene.

Edit - Nothing against anyone who will enjoy this it just isn't for me.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

Before anyone says I support the Clan (lmao) just don't. You have no idea how much I hate them due to my family background. I simply feel they are unworthy of inclusion in any modern comic book even when they get their asses kicked. They shouldn't be given any attention at all. They should be left to fade into obscurity where they belong with other terrible relics of the past.
    While I agree that the Klan (ick!) is a relic of hate best left in the past, there's actually a pretty good argument to have them as villains in a period piece like this - because sadly white nationalism is on the rise, and racism is still very much with us. Like using the Nazis to depict the evil and dangers of fascism, you can use the evil relic of the KKK to talk about troubles in our own modern times. Sometimes it's a lot easier to get out a message and dodge controversy if you use an older organization/foe than directly depict current real world events and organizations. Because as much as we may all wish it had, sadly bigotry and hate did not fade away like those white blanket wearing jerks have. Just my 2 cents.

On a different note, that art is adorable!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Minor nitpick, but I would call this an adaptation of the legendary story from outside comics instead of a period piece. I feel the latter emphasizes a civil rights softball, picking something almost completely without modern controversy as comfort food, instead of Yang's unique angle to the radio program and its characters.

I liked the original character models more but I guess it's similar enough. I'd have liked to see someone like David Williams get more work though since he seems to like Superman.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Right there with you, I'll probably get a second copy myself just to give to someone.
    Im thinking I'm going to leave a copy in some random location like a bus stop, with a note attached that says "enjoy!"

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    LOVE the concept, and Superman's look!

Little iffy about the art though. Would have preferred something retro...a bit more in lines with the Golden Age comics or the Fleischer cartoons.
    I'd have loved to see someone with a more retro style too, but I feel like this is a quality, Pixar-esque style that will appeal more to younger readers (very important, that) and, in its way, is a worthy modernization of the classic cartoon style too. If Fleischer had made those cartoons today I suspect they'd look a lot like this. So.....good enough for me, though I'd have really liked to see a more Golden Age vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

Cant blame you for feeling that way. And my regrets for whatever your family history is (its the klan so I can guess). Me, I love seeing Superman beat the hell out of nazis and racists and bigots. There's never any itch to feel any sympathy for the villain at all. And I figure that if we let ourselves forget the mistakes of the past, we're that much more likely to repeat them. And we're having enough trouble with racism these days as it is, so a re-telling of a famous story that actually had a positive impact on the real world? I'm just hoping this is equally successful in its own way. Hell, in today's America, I think seeing Superman take a stand might be more important than it's been in decades. But I get why you're passing on it; no judgement. But for me? I think this is gonna scratch my Golden Age itch and I love me some Golden Age social crusader Superman! Can't wait to see him punch some idiots who really deserve it really hard!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wow this looks super cool. You had me at Superman punching out Nazis!

Incredible Member

I've got mixed feelings about this. The Klan was part of my history (African American). While it's true the Klan was both Anti-Semitic and Anti-Immigrant ( and pro Christian; they even lynched Italian-Americans for both being immigrants and Catholics).... they were primarily a White Terrorist organization directed at blacks. The story would be braver and more interesting if Superman took on The Klan directly concerning anti black terrorism (possibly stopping a lynching or two), while at the same time, getting in Rossevelts' face about the interment policies towards Japanese Americans that makes him no better than the Nazis. I know the Lee family is supposed to be Chinese; but that's why this story seems to be the "safe" way out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    I've got mixed feelings about this. The Klan was part of my history (African American). While it's true the Klan was both Anti-Semitic and Anti-Immigrant ( and pro Christian; they even lynched Italian-Americans for both being immigrants and Catholics).... they were primarily a White Terrorist organization directed at blacks. The story would be braver and more interesting if Superman took on The Klan directly concerning anti black terrorism (possibly stopping a lynching or two), while at the same time, getting in Rossevelts' face about the interment policies towards Japanese Americans that makes him no better than the Nazis. I know the Lee family is supposed to be Chinese; but that's why this story seems to be the "safe" way out.
    You hit on the point I was a bit troubled by. I get that the Lees are a sort of legitimate target for the Klan and the author wanting to use his own cultural background as part of the story. I just think the story would resonate better if the targets had been African American or Jewish since they were the more well known prejudices of the KKK. Maybe this will come up in the actual story, with the KKK speeches being a longer list of people they hate.

On the Roosevelt bit, I wouldn't have a problem with Superman doing something like that, but as bad as internment was it wasn't death camps (like the Nazis) or torture (like Japanese POW camps). The US doesn't deserve any type of accolades for not being that inhumane, but equating the internment camps with places like Auschwitz would be going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    It’s obviously a touchy subject. It’s possible DC didn’t want to stumble into the “white savior” troupe. It would have worked if there was a black superhero for Supes to team up with but sadly there weren’t any POC superhero during that time. Though they could have used Amazing Man I guess since he was retconned into being around during that time.

Superman does have white skin but he’s also an immigrant. The concept of immigrants coming to America, trying to adapt while also holding onto cultural heritage is Superman’s story (but on a cosmic level). So having him defend immigrants against bigotry and hatred kinda works better.

It might be getting too close to the "white savior" thing, but this could have been (and still might be, who knows?) a great introduction for a 40's version of John Henry Irons/Steel too.

~ Black Panther.