Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Default How is All-New Marvel NOW! Wolverine and the X-Men?

Yes, I did that because it's absurdly long.

I just wanted to get some opinions on Latour's WatXM, and possibly a recommendation. I read the first arc of Jason Aaron's run, but I kinda just jumped ship afterwards, because it wasn't really that great and the Kitty pregnancy thing kinda just made it not worth reading. However, I started reading again during Battle of the Atom, and because I think I was trying to avoid doing a paper or something. I ended up reading it until it ended and have decided to get the omnibus, so no big spoilers for that please. But concerning Latour's run, how is it? What does it do well? What does it do better than Aaron's run (I'm guessing less Cyclops hating)? Does it try to make me care about Iceman and Iceman and Kitty Pryde's "romance"? Is Quentin Quire still an annoying twat? As you could probably tell, I know some things about Aaron's run, but that's largely from people who dislike Jason Aaron's X-Men stuff.

So anyway, what does Latour's Wolverine and the X-Men do well, better than Aaron's run, and what characters does it focus on (I think Genesis is a focus, but I'm okay with that)?
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

It's not good. It's about Quentin Quire, with Storm and Wolverine being very shrewish all the while. Everyone else is just sort of there and Idie is even more inconsistent than before.

What it does well is that it makes you appreciate Jason Aaron's run even if you hated it.

If you have interest in Quire as a character or enjoy Storm feats this book will likely be okay.
    Last edited by xhx23x; 06-22-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Quentin Quire is one of my favorite x-men, so I guess I should start reading it again.

I think it's actually pretty good, it isn't the best X-men title out nor is it a flagship title but for what it does it does amazingly. Latour does a good job in my opinion of using the MU and X-men continuity to tell his story while also mix it with great humor and action, my favorite scenes have to be where Quentin thinks he is fighting the New Xavier school and Doop on a motorcycle with a tiger on the back seat.

The characters are unconventional at times, mainly because almost all the teachers and some students went on vacation, but characters like Eyeboy, Quentin, Idie, Genesis, Armor, and more I find enjoyable to read about.

And if anything else Mahmud Asrar does some really great art for this series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

This book is more like Wolverine and Quentin Quire. Eh, it's pretty good, if you like Quentin - you'll probably like the book. It can get talky at times, but conversations are paced nicely, I've always enjoyed Quentin's wit and he's written well in this series. Although, I am missing Jason Aaron, I like that we get to delve deeper into that brilliant mind of Quentin's. This can lead to some pretty crazy scenes like sifighter explained above. Overall it's a fun an interesting read for Quire fans, don't know how others might feel about it.

Indeed, Asar's art has been spot on in this series, so that's a plus. To me, his art looks a bit different than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think it's actually pretty good, it isn't the best X-men title out nor is it a flagship title but for what it does it does amazingly. Latour does a good job in my opinion of using the MU and X-men continuity to tell his story while also mix it with great humor and action, my favorite scenes have to be where Quentin thinks he is fighting the New Xavier school and Doop on a motorcycle with a tiger on the back seat.
    That part had me laughing hard. I was like, "Go Doop, go!" xD
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    It's not good. It's about Quentin Quire, with Storm and Wolverine being very shrewish all the while. Everyone else is just sort of there and Idie is even more inconsistent than before.

What it does well is that it makes you appreciate Jason Aaron's run even if you hated it.

If you have interest in Quire as a character or enjoy Storm feats this book will likely be okay.
    Well it is only the first arc in the new volume, essentially dealing with what the future Quire showed him. I'll admit the arc feels a little long-winded but we'll have to see what comes next.

BANNED

It is really 3 X-Men (Wolverine, Storm, Fantomex) and 4 students (QQ, Kid A, Oya-who got aged about 5 years, and some Armour). Focused on QQ and the Phoenix (yes, already), and has future timeline storylines. Not a rudderless title but very boring and not the highest quality IMO. Some like it, some loathe it, sales aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePasta View Post

That part had me laughing hard. I was like, "Go Doop, go!" xD
    That scene was literally a Big Lipped Alligator Moment. It came out of nowhere, had nothing to do with anything in context and then just passed without question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Well it is only the first arc in the new volume, essentially dealing with what the future Quire showed him. I'll admit the arc feels a little long-winded but we'll have to see what comes next.
    Yeah, I still don't know how I truly feel about the title, but like you mentioned - it's a new volume and arc. I'm willing to wait and see how things develop.
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

I can only hope we get more Broo.

It's very "meh" IMO. Not awful, but not exactly all that engaging either.

BANNED

It isn't doing anything new. We don't need it now that we have Amazing X-Men.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Thanks for the input guys. Well, Quentin Quire truly annoys me (for villainous/bratty behaviour, I already have Magik, Valeria Richards and *sniff* Damian Wayne). Armor was a redeeming factor, but she seems to be barely in the series. While I like Storm, I didn't like her enough to continue reading Adjectiveless, and that book had Rogue, Psylocke and Rachel. I'll probably just go to her solo series for Stork stuff. The humour sounds a bit too goofy to me, especially that big lipped alligator moment. I've seen some of Asrar's art, and it's okay, but he's heading to All-New anyway.

So I guess I won't be picking up WatXM. I'll probably add Amazing to my pull list instead (the first arc was 'meh', Kathryn Immonen's filler issue was bad, but I picked up the first Kyle/Yost issue out of morbid curiosity on how many characters they'd kill, and it turned out to be pretty okay). Thanks for weighing in on this anyway
    Last edited by Fuzzy Barbarian; 06-23-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

I think it started a little slow, but it has really picked up in the past couple of issues. It's not the best X-book on the market right now, but it's hardly the worst. It has a smaller cast and a smaller scope compared to Amazing X-men, Uncanny X-men, and All-New X-men. And so far, there hasn't been one issue that really raises the bar of the others. But it has some nice moments and some solid themes, some of which build off of stories that were introduced in X-men: Battle of the Atom. Characters like Kid Omega and Idie step up while new characters like Faithful John add something extra to the mix. I've enjoyed the past few issues, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. If I were recommending X-books, I would not have this at the top of my list. But I would mention it because it has some nice themes for certain fans.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

It's okay but I'd say weaker than All-New, Uncanny and adjectiveless. I prefer it to Aaron's run, that was too silly for me and I'd certainly have dropped it if I didn't have it comped every month. The current run, if nothing else, has some nice art. Vastly superior in my opinion to Bachalo and the later artists on Aaron's series. Quire is pretty much the star of the series as previously mentioned, which I don't mind too much.