View Poll Results: Do You Want More El Diablo and Azucar Stories?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Loving Azucar and El Diablo

1 33.33%
  • No, I don't know if this is a great idea.

1 33.33%
  • Undecided - I need to read more about them

1 33.33%

Default Suicide Squad: Azucar means Sugar

i'm not sure who all is reading these suicide squad: most wanted's with el diablo, but i am and this story is amazing. the art is really fantastic too.

basically el diablo is working for checkmate and amanda waller, but he's got to uncover a conspiracy. there are back up stories attached to these ... issue 1 had a boomerang back up and issue 2 had a croc back up.

anyway, what do you guys think? in particular, there is a new dc character in here that i am absolutely in love with. her name is azucar and she's a latina meta who is teaming up with el diablo.

so far they seem to be making a great combo, and i really want more. dc comics, is there any way we can get el diablo and azucar in a more ongoing fashion after this is over? maybe like a new checkmate book or something?

i think azucar might be one of the best new characters dc comics has invented, and i'm not sure she is getting the sort of airtime she deserves.

she's a gotham girl, former cop, former checkmate agent, and she has awesome powers: super strength, durability, mind-reading, and spider-sense.

also, she's covered in beautiful tattoos.

what do you guys think? would you be into an el diablo and azucar book? or a checkmate book starring them? i'll add a poll, and hope to see some of you guys liking this story too.

Really? A woman with a matador's outfit? And with that type of hair with a flower?. Too much stereotypes. I like to see more latino or hispanic characters but not in this way. I don't mind the name, Azúcar is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post
    Really? A woman with a matador's outfit? And with that type of hair with a flower?. Too much stereotypes. I like to see more latino or hispanic characters but not in this way. I don't mind the name, Azúcar is fine.
    Really that's a stereotype
    Sugar skull lolita style is not even stereotypical to Latin or Hispanic people
    Its more of a style

yes please don't get so down on her look. she flaunts it, but not in a false patriotic way. it's just her style, but it's not who she is. she wears it because the first meta-villain she captured was a matador

i think she's really beautiful and powerful

Always Rakzo

Going to repeat what I said in other places:

"No tienes ninguna esperanza de escapando!"

"Que es el mejor que tienes?"

THAT. IS. NOT. SPANISH!

If it isn't obvious at this point, Jai Nitz is simply not a good choice to write a Hispanic character. First, he writes El Diablo as a borderline offensive stereotype by making a redundant gang member with barely any personality beyond that but now he also demonstrates he doesn't even know Spanish enough to write such simple phrases as those. Why would he even bother with that? If you don't understand how a Language works simply don't use it in your stories!

The plot itself is not bad per se, it has some good moments like the mentions of several famous drugs from Gotham that involved into the premise but aside from that, is pretty by the numbers with a characterization that is even worse.

Cliff Richard's artwork is the best part here thanks to his semi-realistic style that at some points creates a few stiff characters but they still look quite good.

And Azucar is one of the most derivative names ever for a Hispanic character, her costume don't help matters at all.

The pleasent surprise comes in the form of Killer Croc's story written Christopher Sebela. The premise is your typical "Am I man or a monster?" stuff but the execution is what sells it. Sebela delivers new aspects from Waylon's personality, about how intelligent and self-aware he can be while making the whole concept of his humanity more complex than it usually is. The dialogue also complements such idea nicely. Brian Level's pencils are quite good looking with a more flexible and vibrant style than Richard's which is especially good for action scenes.

Killer Croc's story is worth checking out but El Diablo's needs to be skipped and forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

THAT. IS. NOT. SPANISH!
    how come when i type those words into google translate that it works then ??

i did like the croc story too. i hope you give azucar a chance, dc needs more powerful female heroes

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post

i did like the croc story too. i hope you give azucar a chance, dc needs more powerful female heroes
    "Google translate".

There's your answer.

And I'm okay with more Hispanic female characters as long as they're not blatant derivative stereotypes.

i guess i don't get it, can you explain?

Always Rakzo

Google translate is unable to translate ANY idiom properly. At best it can give you the basic idea of what a phrase means without translating it correctly.

For example, the proper way to say those phrases above are:

"No tienes ninguna esperanza de escapar!"

"Que es lo mejor que tienes?"

Respectively and that's even without mentioning that those are rarely used phrases since the most common way to say them would be: "No tienes ninguna manera de escapar" and "Eso es lo mejor que tienes?".

Google translate is unable to translate ANY idiom properly. At best it can give you the basic idea of what a phrase means without translating it correctly.

For example, the proper way to say those phrases above are:

"No tienes ninguna esperanza de escapar!"

"Que es lo mejor que tienes?"

Respectively and that's even without mentioning that those are rarely used phrases since the most common way to say them would be: "No tienes ninguna manera de escapar" and "Eso es lo mejor que tienes?".
    Or directly "No tienes esperanzas de escapar" or "No tienes esperanza de escape" or "No tienes escapatoria"

Anyway, I can't talk or write english with property, so it's better to me don't talk too much.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 10-20-2016 at 10:38 AM.

that's very interesting, is there a way we can tell dc comics to work on their spanish.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

THAT. IS. NOT. SPANISH!
    HUEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHE.

As a brazilian man who spent decades enduring the surname "DaCosta" (hint: that's not a name), or even the ocasional comic with Sunspot speaking spanish, I feel you bro.

Wait, do you actually believe that google translate gives you correct sentences?

No dude, just no...
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

ok so that's a good point. you shouldn't hold it against the character because the writer gets a few sentences incorrect.

sunspot has turned into an amazing character over the years, but i can definitely see some random person on a message board trashing christ claremont's early works with him just bc claremont doesn't speak perfect spanish.

all i'm saying is give azucar a chance. if her spanish is bad, then i think you guys should help us get that message to dc

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

ok so that's a good point. you shouldn't hold it against the character because the writer gets a few sentences incorrect.
    Oh, no one is holding it against the character. But believe me, this sort of stuff goes from mildlçy annoying to offensive really, really quick.

sunspot has turned into an amazing character over the years
    Nah, Sunspot is great.

but i can definitely see some random person on a message board trashing christ claremont's early works with him just bc claremont doesn't speak perfect spanish.
    1) I was talking about something I read like, 5 eyars ago. I think it was Abnett (?)

2) (And more important): See, here is the problem. Susnpot is not Hispanic. Yes, he is latino. But not Hispanic. Because he is brazilian. And in Brazil we speak portuguese. And we really, really hate when gringos assume that we either speak spanish, or that it's the same thing. (You didn't know, that's fine, I'm not angry at you). But a writer should do his goddamn research properly.

all i'm saying is give azucar a chance. if her spanish is bad, then i think you guys should help us get that message to dc
    Sure, but that's not an issue exclusive to Azúcar. That was the whole point of Rakzo's complaint, I guess.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

oh wow my apologies bohemia drinker. i didn't know about the portuguese.

well, this is very good because it's helping to educate.