Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We're going off-tangent here, but I do think the MCU films and the Raimi films showed that it's possible to show Peter Parker having some kind of life outside of his love interest and being Spider-Man.

He has friends in the MCU films, and there are touches in the Raimi films that show that he's got an outer life (Betty Brant noting he already owes her money, the landlord's daughter.)

The Webb films were rushed which meant they didn't have a good idea of what the final product would be when they were filming the movie. It should be possible to do a two hour film that does justice to Peter Parker's life, while allowing Spider-Man a compelling opponent.

One problem may be that too much focus was elsewhere like setting up sequels.
    The biggest problem were the movies the cast and crew wanted to make and the movies the studio wanted to make. You can tell Webb, Garfield, Stone, etc. wanted to make movies about loss and grief and how people can move on from such things. Sony wanted the Spider-Man version of Nolan's Batman films and then wanted to launch their own pseudo-MCU based around Spider-Man with the sequel.

What they should have done was cast Stone as MJ, and cast another actress as Gwen if they were so insistent on doing The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Astonishing Member

If the Lost Hunt outsold Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel would pay attention.

Voting with your wallet only goes so far if you're not a big enough part of the fanbase.
    Marriage stories have outsold non-married/single stories in the past, and that didn't stop Quesada and Co. It didn't stop then from splitting Peter and MJ up again after the success of Spencer's run. This has been covered and discussed here many times.

"Voting for your wallet" also depends on who is counting the votes, and if they care or not.

Wells sounds so salty when talking about his run these days.

I fully expect the next ASM run to be the safest run imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Wells sounds so salty when talking about his run these days.

I fully expect the next ASM run to be the safest run imaginable.
    what exactly did he say this time
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    If the ol' internets aren't lying, ASM #546 came out January 9th, 2008. It's been 15 years since BND. How does that make you feel, apart from very old?

Your likes, dislikes etc. are encouraged and welcome!

Attachment 128372
    interesting.
    I felt the solo storylines had become repetitive leading into the reboot.
    we'll see what the future holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Marriage stories have outsold non-married/single stories in the past, and that didn't stop Quesada and Co. It didn't stop then from splitting Peter and MJ up again after the success of Spencer's run. This has been covered and discussed here many times.

"Voting for your wallet" also depends on who is counting the votes, and if they care or not.
    There are going to be some people who have access to sales data, and streaming data, who don't care either way whether Spider-Man is married.

If another title with a superhero who has gone beyond the illusion of change starts selling well, that would have an effect on the industry. If it's an Image book, there's no one at Marvel

The biggest problem were the movies the cast and crew wanted to make and the movies the studio wanted to make. You can tell Webb, Garfield, Stone, etc. wanted to make movies about loss and grief and how people can move on from such things. Sony wanted the Spider-Man version of Nolan's Batman films and then wanted to launch their own pseudo-MCU based around Spider-Man with the sequel.

What they should have done was cast Stone as MJ, and cast another actress as Gwen if they were so insistent on doing The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    A distinction with the Nolan films is that those were meant to be one saga. The second Amazing Spider-Man film was meant to set up spinoffs, often in an inadvised way. Who thought that a Sinister Six film without Spider-Man makes more sense than Venom or Black Cat?

The films did seem to be a mess behind the scenes, with trailers suggesting moments that were cut completely. If Sony really wanted Nolan Batman films, they would have let Webb tell the story he wanted to, since a part of why the Batman films is that they were about bigger themes.

I think it's a possible to tell a two hour film in which a protagonist faces a compelling villain, a supporting character is killed and multiple members of the supporting cast care.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

There are going to be some people who have access to sales data, and streaming data, who don't care either way whether Spider-Man is married.
    Correct, and that is part of why voting with your wallet is a myth.

If another title with a superhero who has gone beyond the illusion of change starts selling well, that would have an effect on the industry. If it's an Image book, there's no one at Marvel
    Well, Superman and Wally are married with kids, and Batman has a kid too. It was a clear success, especially in Superman's case. And Marvel still hasn't budged. They could have at least restored the marriage. They didn't even do the bare minimum and keep Peter and MJ together. Instead, they let Wells do BND 2.0.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-22-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Well, Superman and Wally are married with kids, and Batman has a kid too. It was a clear success, especially in Superman's case. And Marvel still hasn't budged. They could have at least restored the marriage. They didn't even do the bare minimum and keep Peter and MJ together. Instead, they let Wells do BND 2.0.
    Wells made a huge mistake going in this direction with his run. I don't know who is more at fault for this mess. Wells for wanting to go in this direction in the first place or Editorial for allowing it.

I fully expect the next run to be the safest Spider-Man run imaginable in response to this $%^!show.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Remember Captain Universe vs. The Juggernaut in "Captain Universe/Juggernaut: Brand New Day: The Gauntlet: Something Can Stop The Juggernaut?" That was an okay story...I don't know why they had Spider-Man guest star though...totally useless addition.

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Remember Captain Universe vs. The Juggernaut in "Captain Universe/Juggernaut: Brand New Day: The Gauntlet: Something Can Stop The Juggernaut?" That was an okay story...I don't know why they had Spider-Man guest star though...totally useless addition.
    I know it's the nature of these things to do sequels, but nobody was going to pull off a sequel to Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut that lived up to the original. Not even the writer of the original story.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I know it's the nature of these things to do sequels, but nobody was going to pull off a sequel to Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut that lived up to the original. Not even the writer of the original story.
    The thing is...how do you make a comic by Roger Stern and Lee Weeks with Spider-Man, Captain Universe and The Juggernaut so utterly boring?! This should have been better than it was. Maybe I was just burned from Civil War...too many hero on hero fights.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 01-22-2023 at 08:57 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

A distinction with the Nolan films is that those were meant to be one saga. The second Amazing Spider-Man film was meant to set up spinoffs, often in an inadvised way. Who thought that a Sinister Six film without Spider-Man makes more sense than Venom or Black Cat?
    No, the first film was very clearly meant to be the start of a saga. Webb deliberately picked Gwen as a character knowing he would kill her off, and he had Shailene film scenes as MJ but cut them in favor of introducing MJ in the third film. They even set the release date for the third film for Juy 19, 2016.

The Sinister Six film would have featured Harry as the main character. It wasn't completely disconnected to the ASM films.

I think it's a possible to tell a two hour film in which a protagonist faces a compelling villain, a supporting character is killed and multiple members of the supporting cast care.
    Sure. Dramas, focused on character, do it all the time. But comic book films are action driven.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-22-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Wells made a huge mistake going in this direction with his run. I don't know who is more at fault for this mess. Wells for wanting to go in this direction in the first place or Editorial for allowing it.

I fully expect the next run to be the safest Spider-Man run imaginable in response to this $%^!show.
    If Wells' run ends with Peter and MJ still separated (and possibly with MJ still having the kids), it's going to be interesting if the next writer can ignore it in a flash the way Wells ignored Spencer, or if they'll have to work to undo the status quo.

If it's the latter, it would say a lot about Editorial's attitude and the level of nepotism & pull that Wells has with them (Seriously, Wells can just discard and crap on anything previous writers set up, but others can't do the same?).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-22-2023 at 10:09 PM.

If Wells' run ends with Peter and MJ still separated (and possibly with MJ still having the kids), it's going to be interesting if the next writer can ignore it in a flash the way Wells ignored Spencer, or if they'll have to work to undo the status quo.

If it's the latter, I think would say a lot about Editorial's attitude and possibly the level of nepotism & pull that Wells has with them (Seriously, Wells can just discard and crap on anything previous writers set up, but others can't do the same?).
    Depends on who takes over and when, I guess. If we get someone like Patrick Gleason (someone whom I have seen fans speculate as the potential next writer) relatively soon, who has worked on the Wells run, I would expect a pulling away from the Wells material at a slower pace, but still a move toward the status quo that Gleason clearly favors. If it's someone else, if it's a fresh start, I would expect Wells' stuff to be gone with little or no explanation.

Astonishing Member

interesting that it's been that long since BND...
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 02-01-2023 at 07:00 AM.