Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

You know those chucks are just part of a prototype suit, right? Kamala's first suit had sneakers too, and she has her boots like in the comics in The Marvels. I can see the same thing happening for Cassie in her next appearance after Quantumania.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You know those chucks are just part of a prototype suit, right? Kamala's first suit had sneakers too, and she has her boots like in the comics in The Marvels. I can see the same thing happening for Cassie in her next appearance after Quantumania.
    I refuse to let her lose the chucks lol! She probably will get new suits in different movies like everyone else, but I want the chucks to stay. Let them be war torn with the guts of many slain Quantum villains on the bottom. I'll be so bummed if she loses them and her suit just becomes "Purple Wasp" the chucks give the suit a personality and what better way to show it then with comic synergy

Edit: I hope she explains why she used chucks for her suit in movie or have someone question it.

Man so much negativity around everything Young Avengers on twitter these day, any little rumor of alteration or stray from the comics is being declared RUINED FOREVER... yeah I know it's twitter so what do I expect but it really seems to stem from them not casting someone more conventionally attractive as Wiccan, not saying that all the complaints around Joe Locke lack of Jewish heritage are insincere or unwarranted but I suspect there'd be significantly less complaining if MCU Billy was more pretty.

Personally I think I'm open to whatever the MCU does with the team whether it be how they form or if they have additional young hero members like Kamala or Riri (though I draw the line at Peter or Shuri), I kind of suspected neither Nate or Jonas would be present anyway as they've always been treated more as guest-star party members in the comics, I legitimately forget Jonas existed sometimes.

As long I get Billy, Kate, Eli, Teddy, Cassie and Tommy on a team I'm good and I guess you can throw in America to even out the gender imbalance.

I'm even open to them changing up Teddy powers which I suspect they'll do if they weren't willing to lump the cost of pulling off Kamala's shapeshifting and unlike her this will be Teddy first time being adapted into anything in a major way so they'll have more leeway

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Man so much negativity around everything Young Avengers on twitter these day, any little rumor of alteration or stray from the comics is being declared RUINED FOREVER... yeah I know it's twitter so what do I expect but it really seems to stem from them not casting someone more conventionally attractive as Wiccan, not saying that all the complaints around Joe Locke lack of Jewish heritage are insincere or unwarranted but I suspect there'd be significantly less complaining if MCU Billy was more pretty.

Personally I think I'm open to whatever the MCU does with the team whether it be how they form or if they have additional young hero members like Kamala or Riri (though I draw the line at Peter or Shuri), I kind of suspected neither Nate or Jonas would be present anyway as they've always been treated more as guest-star party members in the comics, I legitimately forget Jonas existed sometimes.

As long I get Billy, Kate, Eli, Teddy, Cassie and Tommy on a team I'm good and I guess you can throw in America to even out the gender imbalance.

I'm even open to them changing up Teddy powers which I suspect they'll do if they weren't willing to lump the cost of pulling off Kamala's shapeshifting and unlike her this will be Teddy first time being adapted into anything in a major way so they'll have more leeway
    I'm expecting the Young Avengers to sing a song called "We don't talk about Jonas" Poor android was always in a weird position of not being the real Vision and not being Iron Lad. I would love for a Volume 3 to bring him back as an antagonist because of his neglect honestly.

As for the MCU membership, funny thing I could have seen Shuri as a Young Avenger in the past. That was before Wakanda Forever, now I can't since she's taken up the Black Panther mantle. She's too big. Peter Parker would never have fit even without the Sony legal drama. Of the young heroes that aren't classic YA members I could see Riri fitting the most. Mainly because Kamala could easily join the regular Avengers team as she does in most media. I don't see that with Ironheart, she feels more suited for a team her age. I do hope they somehow keep the YA's connection with Nathanial and Kang.

You know, there is another reason they should bring back Jonas. How would he react to learning of Viv's existence? And her to him - I bet Jonas would remind her of her destroyed brother, Vin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm sure they will, characters in movies usually get something (the current Wasp mini probably counts for Quantumania, though it only stars Janet and Nadia, the latter being Hope's counterpart). However, I would expect to see some ex-Champions integrated into the YAs - at least Viv and Riri (who would probably be replacing Jonas and Iron Lad in any adaptation on screen).
    I know it's likely they will publish something to synergize with Quantumania; I'm just not sure if that something will be Young Avengers themed. When Hawkeye streamed, they didn't give us a new Young Avengers book, but a Kate mini-series instead. I fear this is just going to be the case again, a new mini or ongoing book featuring Cassie with her dad and that's it.

I feel like even if they had cast an actor that most people could agree on, comics fandom would still be doomposting, because that's just what they do when it comes to the MCU. Some people just live in a bubble and refuse to enjoy anything outside of it. As someone who likes both comics and the MCU and can find enjoyment (while also being critical) of both, I just pity them.

Right now, I don't see any reason why Teddy's powers would change like Kamala's. I think her situation was different because they made a fundamental change to her origin story, so much that they pretty much had room to create something new. While they could also make fundamental changes to Teddy's backstory, it's also possible he would still keep his Kree/Skrull origins, at which point changing his powers would just be pointless, because if he's a part of two already established species in the MCU, there's no reason why he wouldn't share the same abilities they have. Introducing a Skrull character that can't shapeshift would be kind of stupid, specially if he calls himself Hulkling but there isn't anything about his appearance that could evoke that name.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-22-2023 at 01:08 PM.

You know, there is another reason they should bring back Jonas. How would he react to learning of Viv's existence? And her to him - I bet Jonas would remind her of her destroyed brother, Vin.
    Honestly I think the only context in which a revived Jonas would be interesting is with him merging with Vin old body/mind, I think you'd have more to work with as you'd have the family connection with Billy. Tommy and the other Visions and in in general I feel Tom King did more to give Vin more of a personality in the short time he had than anyone did with Jonas throughout his stint in YA.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Right now, I don't see any reason why Teddy's powers would change like Kamala's. I think her situation was different because they made a fundamental change to her origin story, so much that they pretty much had room to create something new. While they could also make fundamental changes to Teddy's backstory, it's also possible he would still keep his Kree/Skrull origins, at which point changing his powers would just be pointless, because if he's a part of two already established species in the MCU, there's no reason why he wouldn't share the same abilities they have. Introducing a Skrull character that can't shapeshift would be kind of stupid, specially if he calls himself Hulkling but there isn't anything about his appearance that could evoke that name.
    The reason they changed Kamala powers is because elasticity and crazy shapeshifting are still hard to pull off in live-action, even last year in MoM they were doing there darndest to show as little of Mr Fantastic stretching as possible. I'd say Teddy ability to mimic other people like his fellow Skrulls and super strength will remain as they're cheap enough effects but anything like forming wings, growing claws or elongating his limbs is likely out of the question. I also suspect like the rest of the MCU Skrulls they'll be using make-up and prosthetics, I think that's how'll they'll distinguish their two green people, Skrulls are green-makeup Hulks are CGI.

Honestly I don't think the comics themselves have ever made great use of Teddy's powers, he mainly just forms wings to fly and that's it, Doom was more creative with them when he possessed his body briefly. I feel the main reason Al Ewing gave him a magic sword was just to help spice him up a bit so hopefully the MCU will get Excelsior in his hands sooner rather than later.

The reason they changed Kamala powers is because elasticity and crazy shapeshifting are still hard to pull off in live-action, even last year in MoM they were doing there darndest to show as little of Mr Fantastic stretching as possible. I'd say Teddy ability to mimic other people like his fellow Skrulls and super strength will remain as they're cheap enough effects but anything like forming wings, growing claws or elongating his limbs is likely out of the question. I also suspect like the rest of the MCU Skrulls they'll be using make-up and prosthetics, I think that's how'll they'll distinguish their two green people, Skrulls are green-makeup Hulks are CGI.

Honestly I don't think the comics themselves have ever made great use of Teddy's powers, he mainly just forms wings to fly and that's it, Doom was more creative with them when he possessed his body briefly. I feel the main reason Al Ewing gave him a magic sword was just to help spice him up a bit so hopefully the MCU will get Excelsior in his hands sooner rather than later.
    I really don't think growing wings or claws is that much of a challenge, CGI wise. I agree they would probably tone down the most wild stuff he could do with shapeshifting, but the basic stuff he can do with his body can be done just fine. They did a show like She-Hulk, so it's definitely not out of the question that they can make Hulkling fly every now and then. I'd say it'd even be cheaper, because Hulkling is unlikely to have a solo show like Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk, so they'd only have to use their resources whenever he needed to be in an action scene, unlike those other shows where the characters where front and center and using their powers quite more frequently.

I also have a hard time imagining them doing Hulkling with practical effects. Even though he is half-Skrull, he doesn't really look like them in the comics. He is supposed to be bigger than your average Skrull. I don't think it would work unless they just give up on him being Hulkling, because again, I just don't think it's a good idea to introduce a guy named Hulkling and not try to make him match that name. People already clowned on Skaar's look in the MCU, I can't imagine how audiences would react to a Hulk-named character that looked like some regular looking guy painted in green. Unless they cast some huge bodybuilder like dude, but then again, I think that defeats the point of Teddy's shapeshifting. I really hope they do Hulkling with CGI, and if not, then I prefer he's not even Hulkling and they let him be a Captain Marvel legacy character, wearing a suit inspired by Mar or Genis from the comics.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-23-2023 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I really don't think growing wings or claws is that much of a challenge, CGI wise. I agree they would probably tone down the most wild stuff he could do with shapeshifting, but the basic stuff he can do with his body can be done just fine. They did a show like She-Hulk, so it's definitely not out of the question that they can make Hulkling fly every now and then. I'd say it'd even be cheaper, because Hulkling is unlikely to have a solo show like Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk, so they'd only have to use their resources whenever he needed to be in an action scene, unlike those other shows where the characters where front and center and using their powers quite more frequently.

I also have a hard time imagining them doing Hulkling with practical effects. Even though he is half-Skrull, he doesn't really look like them in the comics. He is supposed to be bigger than your average Skrull. I don't think it would work unless they just give up on him being Hulkling, because again, I just don't think it's a good idea to introduce a guy named Hulkling and not try to make him match that name. People already clowned on Skaar's look in the MCU, I can't imagine how audiences would react to a Hulk-named character that looked like some regular looking guy painted in green. Unless they cast some huge bodybuilder like dude, but then again, I think that defeats the point of Teddy's shapeshifting. I really hope they do Hulkling with CGI, and if not, then I prefer he's not even Hulkling and they let him be a Captain Marvel legacy character, wearing a suit inspired by Mar or Genis from the comics.
    Flight is usually the first power that gets nicked when adapting superheroes, I suspect none of YA will be flying but Teddy's an especially egregious case because while it's easy enough to convey it in comics with his wings spread out on a still image having to potray them in motion and flapping like a bird would look significantly less impressive.

I suspect the the name Hulkling going to be dropped, they're going to want to make it clear to audiences that he's a Skrull and not another Hulk (especially with Skaar around) and I suspect his green mode will be made more Skrull-like to reflect that with the pointed ears, chin wrinkles and facial markings.

It might even be for the sake of money and time that MCU Teddy spends 90% of his screentime in his "human" mode and only going green during stressful moments, especially if they do cast a PoC in the role.

Flight is usually the first power that gets nicked when adapting superheroes, I suspect none of YA will be flying but Teddy's an especially egregious case because while it's easy enough to convey it in comics with his wings spread out on a still image having to potray them in motion and flapping like a bird would look significantly less impressive.

I suspect the the name Hulkling going to be dropped, they're going to want to make it clear to audiences that he's a Skrull and not another Hulk (especially with Skaar around) and I suspect his green mode will be made more Skrull-like to reflect that with the pointed ears, chin wrinkles and facial markings.

It might even be for the sake of money and time that MCU Teddy spends 90% of his screentime in his "human" mode and only going green during stressful moments, especially if they do cast a PoC in the role.
    They could not make him fly, but I don't think it'll be because it's too hard to make wings flap. I mean, it's not that different from Wasp. They gotta use CGI everytime she pops her wings, so I don't think it's a big deal to do the same with another character. Retractable wings are likely more convenient because they're not on every frame of every scene the character's in.

I'm fine with them not doing the Hulkling persona, but I take him being just human over him looking like a Skrull. The Skrulls are, quite honestly, ugly in the MCU and I don't want Teddy to look like that, LOL. As Hulkling, at least he'd have the chance of still looking handsome. Other than that, they should just make him look like a more comics accurate Mar-Vell.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-24-2023 at 03:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

If they care at all to have Teddy fly *and* they care at all about his half-Kree / Captain Marvel-adjacent origin, they could just put a yellow glow around him when he levitates around, like Carol does when she flies, and skip the wings (which traditional Skrulls rarely use in the comics even, and haven't yet in the MCU anyway). Say the flight comes from the Kree side and experiments with the energy source or whatever handwavium they want to justify him having weaker 'Captain Marvel' type powers, in addition to Skrull shapeshifting (which, in the MCU, has mostly been limited to disguising themselves as other people, not growing claws, wings or armor plates, like Teddy tends to do).

To add to this, Teddy looking like a Skrull just leans to heavy on his Skrull half in favor of his Kree side. Something the comics have struggled with as well especially in the earlier years of his writing. I'm all for giving him a different identity, I mean nobody confuses Gamora with a Hulk and she's green right? If they don't go the "Hulkling" route I can see them holding off on giving him a superhero name in his debut and wait for the comics to give him a new name by then. It's almost amusing that Amadues Cho who was an actual Hulk changed his name to a more unique sounding hero while Teddy who isn't a real one still has "Hulk" in his name.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Happy New Year YA fam!

Also where's Eli in the fan art?
    THIS.
    As a fan since Heinberg's original YOUNG AVENGERS, assembling this team without Eli, even after his introduction in FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLIDER series, is kind of a non-starter for me. I'll hold out hope that we will get his evolution into PATRIOT as part of the early stories of the cinematic team's adventures.

The mind also ponders whom to cast as a younger version of Jonatan Majors as IRON LAD/KID KANG...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If they care at all to have Teddy fly *and* they care at all about his half-Kree / Captain Marvel-adjacent origin, they could just put a yellow glow around him when he levitates around, like Carol does when she flies, and skip the wings (which traditional Skrulls rarely use in the comics even, and haven't yet in the MCU anyway). Say the flight comes from the Kree side and experiments with the energy source or whatever handwavium they want to justify him having weaker 'Captain Marvel' type powers, in addition to Skrull shapeshifting (which, in the MCU, has mostly been limited to disguising themselves as other people, not growing claws, wings or armor plates, like Teddy tends to do).
    I have seen people float the idea that the MCU may do a gender flip on Teddy origins where his mum's now Carol and his dad's a Skrull Prince and she was living with the Skrulls for last 30 years there's definitely a window where it could've happened.

I could get behind them reworking Teddy into a Captain Marvel Jr if can't be a shapeshifter in the MCU hell I have no issue with getting those powers in the comics, it always seemed a bit unfair how both Genis and Phyla got to have grand cosmic abilities like their dad and there's poor Teddy regulated to a discount Hulk.
    Last edited by walk; 01-24-2023 at 02:32 PM.