Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Remains

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I think Norman just sealed the deal that Kindred is a boy and not a girl. I mean Spencer has been very consitent regarding this from the beginning. So anyone thinking Gwen should think otherwise unless Kindred changed his voice from female to male to fool everyone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I think Norman just sealed the deal that Kindred is a boy and not a girl. I mean Spencer has been very consitent regarding this from the beginning. So anyone thinking Gwen should think otherwise unless Kindred changed his voice from female to male to fool everyone.
    Kindred's a demonic creature. It honestly wouldn't be weird if its voice could change.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Kindred's a demonic creature. It honestly wouldn't be weird if its voice could change.
    It doens't make sense to me for Spencer to consistenly misinform the reader about Kindred's gender. If your going to setup a mystery and give the reader clues about the identity, they should at least be accurate so when the reveal comes being can be like "wow, this person checks all the boxes, I can't believe I didn't guess it!" and not "we were consistently given false information there was no way I could have guessed it."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    It doens't make sense to me for Spencer to consistenly misinform the reader about Kindred's gender. If your going to setup a mystery and give the reader clues about the identity, they should at least be accurate so when the reveal comes being can be like "wow, this person checks all the boxes, I can't believe I didn't guess it!" and not "we were consistently given false information there was no way I could have guessed it."
    You're never supposed to figure out a mystery before the big reveal. Mystery writers never spoil the story for the readers.

We should expect Spencer to misconstrue and misrepresent information so as not to give away information.

Kindred is a male. It's been over a year since Spencer removed all ambiguity from Clone Conspiracy resurrections and established that Mysterio knows his real name, knows it's a man, and that it really is his true name because Kindred killed someone who was told it. Kindred being Gwen or a woman is the running gag of CBR. The last time Spencer made people wait 50 issues for a villain reveal it was after establishing that he was the other villains' father, and fans used that information to theorize until it was revealed he was male because that is how mysteries work. If a reveal explicitly contradicts the text's clues, stories get criticized for it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You're never supposed to figure out a mystery before the big reveal. Mystery writers never spoil the story for the readers.

We should expect Spencer to misconstrue and misrepresent information so as not to give away information.
    Didn't people figure out that Jason Todd was Red Hood way before they revealed it over in Batman? Or that Roderick Kingsley (or Ned Leeds) was the Hobgoblin even in this title? And aren't people guessing in this very forum that Kindred could be Pre-OMD Peter? Even though the writing is literally on the wall?

Fantastic Member

That's exactly why Kindred said the bit about "You should be asking what I want to do, not who I am", I dont think Spencer really is putting a carrot on a stick in front of us with this, there are very clear themes and foreshadowing down to hitting us over the head with the fact the first story in the series was Parker getting split in two and one side clearly not being the Spidey we know and love.

I do like Sin-Eater was not just taken down and will still be a supporting antagonist in Last Remains though. Curious how he will be stopped though given hes got a nigh unstoppable power set, especially bolster with Juggernauts powers, and what does this say about Kindred's power set.

It's kinda a bummer we dont get Kindred vs Knull as it doesnt seem like King In Black is having any crossover with ASM. Would be a fun clash of creatures, though I imagine Kindred is still leagues away from Knull.
    Last edited by Kingkalamari; 10-08-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    That's exactly why Kindred said the bit about "You should be asking what I want to do, not who I am", I dont think Spencer really is putting a carrot on a stick in front of us with this, there are very clear themes and foreshadowing down to hitting us over the head with the fact the first story in the series was Parker getting split in two and one side clearly not being the Spidey we know and love.

I do like Sin-Eater was not just taken down and will still be a supporting antagonist in Last Remains though. Curious how he will be stopped though given hes got a nigh unstoppable power set, especially bolster with Juggernauts powers, and what does this say about Kindred's power set.

It's kinda a bummer we dont get Kindred vs Knull as it doesnt seem like King In Black is having any crossover with ASM. Would be a fun clash of creatures, though I imagine Kindred is still leagues away from Knull.
    Thank you! That first arc was a dead giveaway (heh heh) as to what Kindred even is. If it's Parker, clearly something went terribly wrong with this version to the point of making him a demonic entity. I want to know what it is, and I'm excited to see what's going to happen.

As for the King in Black crossover; we know this storyline ends in December, so whatever we see for January's solicits may tie-in to King in Black namely a one-shot or issue #56 and #57 or something.

I think that makes it pretty clear Norman knows who Kindred is, or thinks he does. Him calling Kindred "the boy" makes it sound like Harry of course (or another Peter, yeah), but the question is- is Norman unreliable here and doesn't have the right information/it's misdirection, or is it literally spelling it out that it's a dude?

Great Gleason art, can't wait to see the rest of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think that makes it pretty clear Norman knows who Kindred is, or thinks he does. Him calling Kindred "the boy" makes it sound like Harry of course (or another Peter, yeah), but the question is- is Norman unreliable here and doesn't have the right information/it's misdirection, or is it literally spelling it out that it's a dude?

Prior to this the narration at the beginning of the issues has referred to Kindred as "he" and so has Spencer in interviews, so it's not just Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post

I think Norman knows exactly who Kindred is. The monologue he had that got under Kindred's skin wouldn't have done so if he wasn't telling the truth. And because of that, Kindred has to be male. And I think Sin-Eater also knows, because he refers to "his" will. Someone else mentioned that Spencer wouldn't intentionally contradict his own story as that's bad writing.

And yes! Fantastic Gleason art. Hopefully with his new status as a Stormbreaker, he can stay on the book long-term!

Kindred is not Gwen Stacy! Ruling it out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Kindred is a male. It's been over a year since Spencer removed all ambiguity from Clone Conspiracy resurrections and established that Mysterio knows his real name, knows it's a man, and that it really is his true name because Kindred killed someone who was told it. Kindred being Gwen or a woman is the running gag of CBR. The last time Spencer made people wait 50 issues for a villain reveal it was after establishing that he was the other villains' father, and fans used that information to theorize until it was revealed he was male because that is how mysteries work. If a reveal explicitly contradicts the text's clues, stories get criticized for it.
    And who was the reveal?
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    As for the King in Black crossover; we know this storyline ends in December, so whatever we see for January's solicits may tie-in to King in Black namely a one-shot or issue #56 and #57 or something.
    I don't really care if Spidey is not involved. Venom can clearly stand on his own, and doesn't need Peter's help in his fights. Still, it's fun to see them interacting, and Peter being more friendly towards his old living costume. Yeah, I don't get why he still thinks that the symbiote is such an evil entity.