Page 47 of 216 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

No, Thor has always been the god of thunder. Thor is more than just a guy with a magic hammer, and removing Mjolnir would have been a good way to explore this; instead we got Aaron showing us a Thor who is so much less without a hammer.

yeah, Thor was certainly written since the begin to scream HAMMER every time he returned to Asgard.

he was surely written to demand the creation of millions of hammers for him.

he certainly was summoning millions of them to fight... in which each got broken like a paper.

such wisdom from Lee and Kirby, Simmons, D. Jurgens and JMS.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Personally I don’t relish a string of 6 to 12 issue runs, which seems par for the course for reboots.
    I dunno. I'd think with a title like Thor with it's pedigree we would probably be guaranteed a longer run then the B/C-list books.
    And you know, Thor has always been the god of hammers. It’s kind of who he is.
    I thought the entire point of the message in Ragnarok was that he wasn't ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    even way before that during Disassemble, Thor literally said that it's just a tool which he depended on way too much and that he is THE God of Thunder.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-09-2019 at 04:11 PM.

I think the one thing we can agree on, as comic readers is that the MCU version of Thor is not the same guy. Regardless of whether we like him or not. And even then, he spent his entire arc in Infinity War becoming a god with a hammer again. It is too fundamental to the concept of Thor. We know him by the hammer jewellery his followers wore, perhaps more than we do from his decidedly strange myths.

Look at that fake video meme for example. Where a bar goes wild when Thor returns to the battlefield with his hammer. (A pastiche of Infinity War and England fans watching a game). It’s a bit silly, but it also kind of works. Whether we like it or not the hammer is a powerful symbol.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-10-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think the one thing we can agree on, as comic readers is that the MCU version of Thor is not the same guy. Regardless of whether we like him or not. And even then, he spent his entire arc in Infinity War becoming a god with a hammer again. It is too fundamental to the concept of Thor. We know him by the hammer jewellery his followers wore, perhaps more than we do from his decidedly strange myths.

Look at that fake video meme for example. Where a bar goes wild when Thor returns to the battlefield with his hammer. (A pastiche of Infinity War and England fans watching a game). It’s a bit silly, but it also kind of works. Whether we like it or not the hammer is a powerful symbol.
    There's a difference between a god with a hammer, and god of hammers, though

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    There's a difference between a god with a hammer, and god of hammers, though
    Theoretically yes, but many gods with hammers are also associated directly with hammers. The hammer is after all a visual symbol of thunder. The two are poetically synonymous. You just can’t separate them.

Theoretically yes, but many gods with hammers are also associated directly with hammers. The hammer is after all a visual symbol of thunder. The two are poetically synonymous. You just can’t separate them.
    yes you can
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    yes you can
    Do so at your peril. Thor and his hammer should always go together and always will. Why else would so many here get so animated when he gets separated from it. What would be the point of writing about separation from it if it wasn’t to examine this inseparable pair?

I'm going to ask that you back that up with something, because I don't see it as true at all. The hammer tends to be a visual symbol of craftsmen and smiths, I think it is only in the Norse myths that it is identified with thunder; in the Greek myths the hammer is a symbol of Hephaestus, a god of Blacksmiths, fire, and volcanoes, but not thunder and lightning.

I won't disagree that Thor's hammer is an immensely important element of his iconography...but it doesn't make him the god of hammers.

Aaron openly stated that he doesn't write for fans but for himself.

he is doing this to spite us.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Aaron openly stated that he doesn't write for fans but for himself.

he is doing this to spite us.
    I mean, I wouldn't go that far.

I think most writers write stories that they, themselves, enjoy to some degree or another.

I mean, I wouldn't go that far.

I think most writers write stories that they, themselves, enjoy to some degree or another.
    except the writer had to take care of fans of the series as well.

give me a pen and I'll make Thor TOAA but no one would like that except for me as a writer.

I would have to take fans of the series into consideration as well.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-10-2019 at 12:18 PM.