Default 'How is he (Clark) so jacked?' [Good Place Spoiler!]

It's something that tends to bug those who aren't 'keen' on the secret identity, even though, visually, Christopher Reeve and others have made it work: how is Clark, the mild-mannered reporter, so jacked.

And the characters themselves (those not in the know) have wondered about it.

We had it back in '86 with the reboot and Lois using Clark's weights and commenting on how light they are; we had it in '93 (in Lois & Clark) with Lois wondering how Clark can eat like an eight-year old and look like Mr Hardbody; we had it after Final Night when a Daily Planet maintenance staff member said to Perry that he didn't know Clark had such a build on him (and I think there was some comment by Cat Grant over in Supergirl, too).

I've often joked that it's because Clark is anxious and knows that exercise is good for mental health, so I couldn't help but chuckle when they slipped it into The Good Place.

Chidi is Clark (others on this board have commented on that, too), and he is jacked. The creator of the show had previously said the same thing but now it's in the show and is official.

And it works for Clark, too. Totally. And the SI-scoffers never need to say anything again (about his body... they will always talk about his face).

That's as good an explanation as any.

For myself, I prefer Superman to be big, with a lot of muscle mass, but not an overabundance of muscle definition. I like my Superman to look like a big strong guy but not a gym bunny, yknow? Something along the lines of how Quietly drew All-Star. So for Clark Kent, I imagine it's easy for him to look like a big, thick farmboy who spent his childhood bailing hay and doing a lot of hard manual labor but who, as an adult, has gotten soft. Clark, I think, should look like a big teddy bear; he's a big dude but nothing about him looks hard; he just looks cuddly.

But then, I prefer the differences between Clark and Superman to be played up a lot more than comics or live action usually do. I'm talking different color palettes, dialogue fonts, everything.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-18-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's as good an explanation as any.

For myself, I prefer Superman to be big, with a lot of muscle mass, but not an overabundance of muscle definition. I like my Superman to look like a big strong guy but not a gym bunny, yknow? Something along the lines of how Quietly drew All-Star. So for Clark Kent, I imagine it's easy for him to look like a big, thick farmboy who spent his childhood bailing hay and doing a lot of hard manual labor but who, as an adult, has gotten soft. Clark, I think, should look like a big teddy bear; he's a big dude but nothing about him looks hard; he just looks cuddly.

But then, I prefer the differences between Clark and Superman to be played up a lot more than comics or live action usually do. I'm talking different color palettes, dialogue fonts, everything.
    I don't agree !! He should be a big dude but nothing about him looks hard! I strongly disagree that he should look soft like a teddy bear!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Eh soft hands and a well fitting suit hit pretty much everything that the glasses and hair don't. Whether he's like Reeve or thicker (I tend to imagine Superman built like Luke Rockhold), it kinda blurs together when the clothing fits right.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Psst! Want to know a secret. Superman was saitama's trainer. One punch!!!!!!
    Really, though superman is supposed to be a strong man. He used to push himself physically. So he got jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I don't agree !! He should be a big dude but nothing about him looks hard! I strongly disagree that he should look soft like a teddy bear!!
    It's not a deal breaker for me either way or anything, but I prefer a socially invisible Clark Kent. When he's the bumbling, clumsy oaf tripping over his own feet (like All-Star), or when he's the super ripped and popular rock star of journalism (like post-Crisis) I feel like it draws too much attention to him. I like the Birthright approach where Clark is so painfully average people forget he's even in the room. And I figure the visuals should match that, and a guy who looks like he could crush your head with his biceps doesn't fit the image, yknow? So I figure Clark Kent should look like any number of big, corn-fed Midwestern guys who grew up, got an office job, and got a little soft around the middle. Not out of shape, but not in shape either.

I'm just talking about the "mild mannered" disguise of course. Because in reality Clark Kent just looks like Superman in a t-shirt.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-18-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman should be BIG. Like a fireman, or a lumberjack. Not super defined, just lots of mass.

Fantastic Member

Superman should look jacked!! Even when he try to downplay his build as Clark!!

Superman should be as jacked as the modern-day athlete. Of course nobody's going to see Clark with his shirt off, so in the right clothes he'll just look like a large fellow.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Unfortunately now that I'm back to glasses I get compared to that Chidi guy. A second part of that though is when people focus on your distinct face and mannerisms, they're shocked when they notice something like your physique for the first time. Even if you're just kinda above average like Harper. That's why I don't think Clark should cling to his dumpy blue suit, it draws attention to something hidden vs just looking well kept
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES