Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

No it doesn't. None of the peace in between or even the conflict that's going on now happens if the Emperor isn't stopped in life in the first place. Evil reigns in that case, period, no serious resistance in any form. Thus Rey wouldn't even have had a chance to play hero if it wasn't for Luke and the others.

Whether my particular idea holds any weight or not, the reality is that Abrams would have to try really, really, really hard to craft a scenario so devastatingly bad where the past films didn't matter. 100% of the time that comes up, be it in the wake of TFA or the TLJ, its just angry or mocking hyperbole. Highly likely it will be again after IX.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-15-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I wonder if Luke was referring to those books he was trying to make sense of, and that Rey took with her upon her departure from Ahch-To.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah, the retcon angle. Faux rage is en vogue again. It's not a retcon if nothing was changed and/or even revealed.
    On the other hand there was that last film where they spent most of the time of it together and not once was it even indicatedthat they were related. Doing so in teh next film, while maybe not technically a retcon, would definitely be changing it.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    On the other hand there was that last film where they spent most of the time of it together and not once was it even indicatedthat they were related. Doing so in teh next film, while maybe not technically a retcon, would definitely be changing it.
    So. Luke would have his reasons. After his reveal to being the son of Darth Vader the Emperor kept trying to turn him.
    Look at Ben, his grandfather is Vader and he chased after that legacy rather than the goodness of his own mother or uncle Luke.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 04-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    If, IF, she is even a Skywalker ... the closest thing to a retcon would be if she's Ben's twin and/or sister. Being cousins would be different. It wouldn't even be a change because right now, Kylo, the evil Dark Side user, told her about who her parents were. That is if she ends up being another Solo. And the trailer is called Rise of Skywalker, not Rise of Solo.

Luke would have more reason than Han and Leia to hide a child. If she ends up being related, this is the only one that makes sense, her being Luke's. See below. vvvvv
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So. Luke would have his reasons. After his reveal to being the son of Darth Vader the Emperor kept trying to turn him.
    Look at Ben, his uncle is Vader and he chased after that legacy rather than the goodness of his own mother.
    Indeed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

iMan 42s

Just something that I noticed, but Rey's lightsaber is different.
    Her lightsaber is largely chrome in TLJ but now in the trailer the midsection has a black piece. Granted this could be the mending of the pieces from where it got pulled in half, but this also lines up with Anakin's other lightsabers. Maybe it got repaired from a part she scavenges from Vader's or one of Anakin's old ones. Though it's probably just where it got mended.

If they had been going to the Death Star 2 remains, Vader's lightsaber might still be there. We know Rey had a force induced vision when she touched Anakin's/Luke's saber and so she or maybe Kylo Ren might experience one if they touched Vader's. If the visions do show past events like before then that allows us to still see Palpatine and have him dead and not even as a ghost.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Just something that I noticed, but Rey's lightsaber is different.
    Her lightsaber is largely chrome in TLJ but now in the trailer the midsection has a black piece. Granted this could be the mending of the pieces from where it got pulled in half, but this also lines up with Anakin's other lightsabers. Maybe it got repaired from a part she scavenges from Vader's or one of Anakin's old ones. Though it's probably just where it got mended.

If they had been going to the Death Star 2 remains, Vader's lightsaber might still be there. We know Rey had a force induced vision when she touched Anakin's/Luke's saber and so she or maybe Kylo Ren might experience one if they touched Vader's. If the visions do show past events like before then that allows us to still see Palpatine and have him dead and not even as a ghost.
    It seems she somehow, someway has the lightsaber Luke had in Empire Strikes Back. It is the lightsaber given to him by Obi Wan, who tells him it was his fathers(Annakin/Vader). Luke lost that lightsaber, along with this right hand, in the duel with Vader at Cloud City. The trailer focused on the pan down to the lightsaber on purpose.
    Rey's from RoS trailer
    Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 12.42.23 PM.jpg
    stock image from internet(tough to find a comparable screen grab in short order)
    luke lightsaber emp.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

rey is 2nd force spawn palpatine created after anakin
    can i bet money somewhere on that?

always hated that particular part of the prequels, but you know, full circle EP I to EP IX...
    it rhymes and circles and stuff
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It seems she somehow, someway has the lightsaber Luke had in Empire Strikes Back. It is the lightsaber given to him by Obi Wan, who tells him it was his fathers(Annakin/Vader). Luke lost that lightsaber, along with this right hand, in the duel with Vader at Cloud City. The trailer focused on the pan down to the lightsaber on purpose.
    Rey's from RoS trailer
    Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 12.42.23 PM.jpg
    stock image from internet(tough to find a comparable screen grab in short order)
    luke lightsaber emp.jpg
    She always has had Luke's ESB saber (Anakin's ep 3 weapon). It's the one she found in Maz's castle back in TFA. We still don't know how Maz got her hands on it, as far as I'm aware, though I'm not nearly as into SW as I used to be so I may have missed some EU story that tells the tale.

It's the same weapon that was broken in half during The Last Jedi. Just apparently mended and functional again.

I don't think the tale of Maz getting it has been told yet. In the non-canon stuff, Vader got a droid or something to retrieve it from one of the Cloud City shafts, and then the Emperor kept it and Luke's hand at a warehouse on Wayland, where it was used to clone Luke.

The lightsaber later wound up with Luke's future wife Mara jade.

canon-wise, I'm guessing broken sabers can be fixed. There's actually a TPM cut scene which explains why Obi-Wan isn't using his own lightsaber to fend up the battle droids in the swamp-it got "fried" by swamp water, but in that case, it only needed 'to recharge' according to Qui-Gon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-17-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So if those are parts of the crashed second death star in the trailer then does that mean they are on endor in that shot? Ewoks cameo?

Kevin Smith thinks the same thing I do, that Skywalker will be the new Force religion.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I really don't think they are referring to the Skywalker name; it's more of a play on words to throw people off. Moving forward, Rey's interpretation of the code of conduct of force users will define how the universe views "Jedi" for years to come. I think by the end she will establish a new school for force users and start referring to them as "Skywalkers" distinguishing them as an entirely new group of force sensitive warriors.

It kind of plays into the idea that Kylo Ren and Snoke were not Sith either; they were becoming something else entirely. The old rule books have been thrown out; let the old things die.

When it comes to what Kylo said to ray about her parents-

Some people think that the junkers adopted rey and were not her real parents but they did adopt her officially so Kylo was telling the truth. "from a certain point of view."

That's a theory going around. If true she could be anyone. (plus a nice throwback to return of the jedi)

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    rey is 2nd force spawn palpatine created after anakin
    can i bet money somewhere on that?

always hated that particular part of the prequels, but you know, full circle EP I to EP IX...
    it rhymes and circles and stuff
    You hate a particular part of the prequels... that isn't part of the prequels.

Go ahead and put money on it. Then read the Darth Plagueis novel (or, alternatively, show me in the prequels where Palpatine is proven to have created Anakin).

As usual, the majority of Star Wars fans don't know Star Wars.