Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman July 2018 Solicitations - Robinson's Reign... Over?!

It sure looks that way!

WONDER WOMAN #50
    written by JAMES ROBINSON
    art and cover by JESUS MERINO
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    A new pantheon of gods has been born! But who are they? Where did they come from? What do they want? All questions for Wonder Woman, because she played more of a role in their arrival than you'd think! Will it fall to Diana to end their existence as well? Meanwhile, Wonder Woman's brother Jason learns his true purpose. It's all here in this extra-sized anniversary issue!
    ON SALE 07.11.18
    $3.99 US | 40 PAGES

WONDER WOMAN #51
    written by STEVE ORLANDO
    art by LAURA BRAGA
    cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Then, is Man's World ready for Wonder Woman to bring Amazonian justice to today's society? Guest writer Steve Orlando (Justice League of America) delves into that theme in "Transformation Island," which sees Diana visiting the small-time crook known as Mayfly in jail over the course of several years. But how do these visits impact Diana and Mayfly?
    ON SALE 07.25.18
    $2.99 US | 32 PAGES

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD: BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN #6
    written by LIAM SHARP
    art and cover by LIAM SHARP
    It's an epic battle for Tir Na Nóg in this finale, as King Elatha has opened its Causeways and both Fomorian and Dé Denann creatures are spilling into our own realm! Batman must go back to Gotham City to try to close the Causeways from the inside, while Wonder Woman will fight alongside King Elatha against his once-banished brother, Balor Evil Eye! Who will take the crown and rule Tir Na Nóg for eternity?
    ON SALE 07.18.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1
    written by JAMES TYNION IV
    art and cover by ALVARO MARTINEZ BUENO and RAUL FERNANDEZ
    variant cover by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
    From the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE! Earth's magic once belonged to them. Now they want the magic back. But who exactly are they? It's up to the new Justice League Dark to find out and stop this nightmarish new threat at all costs! After the events of NO JUSTICE, team leader Wonder Woman guides the misfit magic mix of Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Man-Bat and Detective Chimp against enemies too fantastic even for the Justice League. Plus, what awful things are coming through the Tree of Wonder? Dark days ahead...
    ON SALE 07.25.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

WONDER WOMAN, DIANA PRINCE: THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC
    written by DENNIS O'NEIL, MIKE SEKOWSKY and others
    art by MIKE SEKOWSKY, DICK GIORDANO and others
    cover by DICK GIORDANO
    In these stories from the late 1960s, Wonder Woman leaves her superpowers behind to become an ultra-mod, globe-trotting secret agent. With a new costume and a new attitude, Wonder Woman fights crime like never before! As secret agent Diana Prince, she takes on international crime with the help of her new mentor, the mysterious I Ching. Collects WONDER WOMAN #178-204, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #87 and 105, SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE #93 and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #204.
    ON SALE 12.05.18
    $99.99 US | 736 PAGES

I'm super excited for Steve Orlando's issues (however many they may be), but I *really* wish he was the main writer. The solicit alone talking about Diana possibly influencing a criminal like Mayfly's life is itself more interesting than anything Robinson has done so far. I guess they're holding out to put a big name writer on the series, though. I just wish DC would be more prepared with this kinda stuff.

EDIT: Steve Orlando confirmed on Twitter that there is indeed a new creative team planned for the series, so no more Robinson! Unfortunately, Orlando and Laura Braga only get one issue...

I am not a fan of Orlando
    But it is nice to finally see Robinson reign come to an end.

Diana gets a pegasus - take that Jumpa.

Count me among those that would have welcomed Orlando to the title, but it is what it is. Mayfly isn't my favorite Wonder foe, but I'm intrigued by the story idea and I've always been a proponent of having Transformation Island return. (I'm not saying the latter is happening, but I'm intrigued by that being the name and theme of the story.)

I hope after this Dark gods storyline wraps, we can drop the divinity threats and antagonists for the a bit and the new creative team tackles some more mortal-ish Amazon adversaries. (I'd make an exception for a Circe story though.)

For the cover of #50 is that Darkseid all rocky and crusty with a Greek-ish helm on? Whatcha think?

A new pantheon, eh? Robinson's run wasn't all I hoped for but it ending on that note, and leaving these characters for future writers to play with, I find that pretty interesting. Wonder who the new writer will be. At least I'm assuming 50 is Robinson's last. I suppose its possible that he'll be on a hiatus and that's the reason for the guests, but I still think it matches up with what's going on in DCU-wide circa July for a change.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Glad that's over with. The designs of the new pantheon are pretty cool though, but it seems pointless to introduce them as the run is ending. Unless they are more editorially mandated Geoff Johns creations that will be popping up again? At the very least, they look more interesting than Grail*, and I guess we kind of have to hope the next writer will utilize them so we get some consistency.

I like Orlando a lot, I wouldn't mind him being the regular writer at all. I loved his Midnighter and Supergirl series, and the worst thing he's written so far is JLA, which is at worst just okay instead of abysmally bad. Ah well. If given a choice between him and Seeley I'd pick Seeley, so now we have a chance of him getting the job. I don't think the Green Lanterns fans would be bothered by him leaving, and I'd welcome him over here with open arms.

*I usually like the majority of Johns' creations, but Grail is a misfire.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Looking at the full solicits for July, Seeley's off Green Lanterns...
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Fantastic Member

Why are people so sure Robinson's run is over with? Maybe it's just an Orlando fill in?

Incredible Member

I like the sound of Wonder Woman #51 very much - Diana trying to rehabilitate and redeem her enemies is something I would like to see more of.

And yet another re-design of the Greek (?) gods? I hope that Jason's true purpose is to die on the way back to his home planet and to be stricken from the memories of everyone in the DCU.

Not a redesign, those are a brand new group of gods.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

It will be nice to get back to reading Wonder Woman and the story actually sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Why are people so sure Robinson's run is over with? Maybe it's just an Orlando fill in?
    Steve Orlando confirmed there will be a new creative team on Twitter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Steve Orlando confirmed there will be a new creative team on Twitter.
    But not him & Braga?

Incredible Member

Also, it looks as if Giganta and Cheetah may be in the DC Bad Guys special, from the cover.

DC BEACH BLANKET BAD GUYS SPECIAL #1
    written by Paul Dini, Lee Bermejo, Gabriel Hardman, Corinna Bechko, Tim Seeley, Shea Fontana and more!
    art by Carlos D'Anda, Gabriel Hardman, David Williams, Otto Schmidt and more
    cover by AMANDA CONNER
    It's summertime in the DCU and the bad guys are taking over! Beat the heat with 10 all-new stories by top comics talent starring DC's most spectacular super-villains! In this issue, find out what Mr. Freeze does on the hottest day of the Gotham City summer! Learn what made Grodd such a bad gorilla! Then, while in a small beach town, Deathstroke gets hired for murder by the last person he'd expect! And The Joker and Bizarro team up for a truly weird summer bromance!
    ON SALE 07.25.18
    ONE-SHOT | PRESTIGE FORMAT
    $9.99 US | 80 PAGES | FC
    RATED T+

DCs-Beach-Blanket-Bad-Guys-Cover.jpg
    Last edited by Frank; 04-16-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Aww...that homage to the cover of Wonder Woman #1 (vol. 1) almost makes me want to buy this. Almost, but not quite.