Page 92 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1897

I mean, they knew that they needed anti kryptonian tech, but I don't think they expected Clark to actually turn. I don't know exactly what that red laser in the desert fortress is supposed to be, but I have a feeling that it's messing with Clark's brain.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    -The Fortress erupting from the ground was sick, that whole shot was pretty damn good CGI for a TV show
    -Clark melting his way out of the ice with his heat vision was dope as hell!
    -God I’ve complained a lot about how omnipresent origin stories are for Superman, but I really liked this one, really felt almost like a slightly elongated version of the famous All-Star one pager. God that “first flight” really was similar to Man of Steel and that’s great because that scene is still one of the few unequivocally great Superman moments that Snyder gave us
    -Answering the question of “why be Superman?” is actually a great reason for Clark to do some “walking the Earth”
    -I love how common that plaid jacket is among Supermen incarnations guessing it’s meant as a Reeve reference and that’s cool
    -C’mon Clark you can’t have expected Lana to just sit at home waiting for you. Guess he needed a reality check
    -Gets the suit his mom made for him!
    -Completely out of his depth small town boy trying to make his way around the big city is always great. I love how he’s kinda baffled that people don’t just stop and give him directions because he’s not used to the rudeness of Metropolis
    -Hell yeah we get the shirt rip! And the pilot scene reappears here, cool to see that lifting that green car was Hoechlin Superman’s first act in a way as well (different context here though). YEAAAH PHONE BOOTH CHANGE (it’s total fanservice but I don’t care I deserve some fanservice damnit!)
    -“This isn’t a resume, it’s a cry for help” lmao God I want more of this Perry
    -The dorkiness of Hoechlin’s “public Clark” is endearing and adorable, I’m glad this episode gives him more opportunities to show it off
    -Lois being irritated that Superman inadvertently makes it harder to focus on the systemic problems that plague Metropolis is actually an interesting point, kind of reminds me what Ridley was driving at in his “Other History” mini. Wonder if that “miracle man” name drop was deliberate or not? It’s cool that this is what gets Lois & Clark to team up together for the first time, some actual reporting! Kinda disappointed they didn’t get a new “Jimmy” as part of their team, really felt his absence when Clark was the one taking photos
    -Lmao Clark “Seinfeld reruns and frozen chicken nuggets”, how did you ever get a date?
    -Atom Man! God it makes me happy to see that Gene Yang is having an impact on Superman media, there’s no way he’d be there if not for Superman Smashes the Klan. This show has really leaned hard on using arctic breath, it’s so cool to see it used so often. That gernade catch was sick and seeing Atom Man get tazed was hilarious
    -That flickering... oh boy something is up.
    -Oh ok so Lois as a TV reporter like the Bronze Age did happen here.
    -Hah I like that Clark points out that just because he speaks English doesn’t mean he landed in the USA (and he speaks Cantonese!). Loved that he specifically says it was born out of his curiosity about the world at large. Also laughing that Lois isn’t fooled that he’s giving her the run around when she tries to get some concrete info out of him about his origins/motives
    -Awwww Lois loved Clark first
    -BAHAHAHAHA that smirk he gave Lois and Janet when Janet asked if he had super-hearing
    -Lois being nervous about meeting Martha is adorable
    -Loved that elevator scene, there’s the Lois & Clark romance I know lol
    -OH **** that scared the hell out of me when Jor-El suddenly started shouting wasn’t expecting that
    -Uh stuff is getting weird now, is someone going through Clark’s memories? All the flickering is actually doing a great job of building up some tension. Oh **** Edge is in his head! Edge knows his secret! I guess Edge followed him back to his Fortress, and post-solar flare Clark just doesn’t have the power to take him down
    -Damn there goes the Jor-El AI. Clark is totally on his own, none of his parents, human or Kryptonian can help him now
    -Kyle admits he was a blockhead (and Lois biting her tongue when she clearly wanted to agree was a nice moment)
    -Jon definitely felt some brotherly pride that Sarah wanted to talk alone with Jordan. And Jordan got his first kiss!
    -Uncle Morgan is in the house! He is totally going to either die or get banished to the PZ now, once you learn the secret that’s the only end for you lol
    -Ahhh so that shot of the canyon was indeed where Edge’s Fortress is. Gotta admit that makes sense given the solar nature of their powers. Damn Jordan standing up to Edge was a nice moment! Damn Clark gave in? Ehhh I don’t know how I feel about that. I hope there’s some kind of contingency plan in place because otherwise it’s a pretty damning indictment of why Clark shouldn’t have a family if he lets himself be compromised this way (I assume his family will help save him in some way in the end)
    -Lmao Morgan’s dad reminds me of Darth Sideous, he’s even got the whole “strength through pain” philosophy
    -Lois giving John Henry Irons a call? Guess this is what gets Steel back in the fight!

Overall the episode was great. The first half honestly makes me a little sad we won’t get more of the traditional Superman status quo out of this show, because everything they show us of it is fantastic! However Clark’s “turn”... is he just getting tortured or are they possessing him? I can buy mind control or possession for Clark’s turn, but him just giving in because of torture raises the same problem I have with Cavill’s planned turn: it makes him look weak. Not really a fan of that, this evil Superman stuff has been the one blemish on an otherwise fantastic show for me, and I hope it doesn’t totally overwhelm the show here as we near the ending for S1. Still I’ll grant this: it’s a hell of a cliffhanger to end on as the show goes on a two week break!

Also is it too much to hope that Clark gets a new more comic accurate Fortress since he and Edge smashed up his old one ?
    Haven't seen the episode yet, but digging the Seinfeld reference. Glad they threw in a reference to him as an avid fan. Even if he hasn't seen the show I'm sure he would have more than appreciated the joke.

P3al.jpg tumblr_mifew5ubFK1rm4mpho1_1280.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I liked the episode well enough. My stand out were:

- the Fortresses Clark and Tal got being the equivalent of a camping tent or an emergency shelter. It's barebones with just the essentials, but non of the comforts of home. It's what you'd expect to send a refugee with rather than a ready-made ice castle. It's actually kind of the best bit of nonverbal storytelling I've seen out of this show.

- Lois and Clark getting to know each other was pretty great to see unfold a bit.

- Seems in this soft homage to Reign of The Supermen Jordan is in fact our Superboy to go along with our Eradicator, Steel, and low powered Superman. It's expect, and also a very clean bit of story telling that uses a good deal of restraint that you never see with these shows when they homage or reimagine the comics. This is the grown up version of a typical homage, and I'm here for it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This was a great week to be a Superman fan. Action Comics was amazing, Superman and Lois gave us a great episode and my copy of It's Superman just arrived today.

About Lex coming to S&L, if/when it happens I hope it's in a small capacity, just a few episodes arc, not was a regular character or even as a the season main villain. Not only is Lex already overused in Supergirl, he is overused in Superman stories.

Cool

My buddy reviews the latest episode. Like me, he adored it -

Last edited by Celgress; 06-23-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I have to admit, that Fortress building scene was pretty impressive for a TV show. Like, the Fortress is still kind of too basic for my liking (like it's literally a cave anyone could walk into? Not even a door with the key that only Kryptonians can use? I mean, it wouldn't have helped with Edge, but still) but it was still cool to see that and Clark learning about his Kryptonian heritage. Like, it's a hallmark of the origin but they handled it well.

Nice mix of MoS and Donner Superman with Jor-El training Clark in his powers for years and the utter sheer joy on Clark's face when he finally flies. Did Clark skip college completely, though?

Martha should probably have warned Clark about Lana getting married, but I guess she felt he needed to see it for himself. Actually did a good job making Lana and Kyle look convincingly young here, and was that an old picture of Emmanuele Chiriqui they used for her yearbook?

I saw the phone booth when Clark was running to do the shirt rip and thought to myself "Oh, this is just a nod to the phone booth because they probably think audiences would find it too ridiculous for him to change in a phone booth"...and then he changes in the bloody phone booth! That was honestly my most hype moment of the episode.

It was nice to see Tyler Hoechlin get to play the classic Clark Kent. He handled it really well without going as cartoonish as I remember his initial introduction in Supergirl. He's really come a long way from that one appearance.

I really liked what we saw of Perry here, brief as it was. So he was the guy from the pilot who introduced Clark to Lois like I thought, here they just solidified an actor they can, presumably, still use in flashbacks or show Perry is still alive and just retired. I hope we can see more from him.

Lois is so often known for the reporter who gets Superman exclusives or is super tight with him, so having her be kind of resentful that Superman is stealing attention away from the human interest stuff she specializes in was pretty refreshing and makes Clark becoming enamored with her more poignant.

I'm glad they mentioned Jimmy even if it was weird he wasn't there with Clark and Lois investigating and taking pictures. I agree with Vordon that he should've been there doing the pictures like Clark was and setting up the iconic trio. At the same time I guess they didn't want to step on Supergirl's toes at all because they're avoiding anything to do with that show and anyone in it. I wish they could just reboot Jimmy.

I'm surprised they never mentioned Lex at all. Like, not even a "Superman battles Lex Luthor" nod.

So Lois is a paper reporter and a broadcast reporter? Is that common? Or was it just for the Superman interview?

That was a classy way of working in "...and the American Way" without having Superman outright say it because of how much more complicated that phrase is these days. And it made sense that Superman would not want anyone to peg him down as being born in the US. Plus, he knows every language because of course he does .

Clark's reaction to listening in on Lois saying she's not interested in Superman, is in love with Clark, and then when she realizes he's heard everything she's saying...was absolutely priceless.

You know the creators love Superman when they bring in something from Smashes the Klan. I would've liked a more involved fight with Atom Man, and I'm kind of surprised that taser was effective through his helmet, but it was still pretty cool.

I thought something was suspicious when that blur popped up, but I assumed it was Edge spying on Superman in his early years, not actually spying on his memories.

I love how Clark tells Lois he forgot to tell his dad about their marriage. Like, he honestly felt he had to tell Jor-El about it. And it was sweet up until the AI Jor-El freaks out and tries to warn Clark.

Poor Lois wanting a girl and knowing what happened with Natalie .

Jeez, Edge crushed the Jor-El crystal! Can they rebuild it? And the Fortress got trashed. I kind of hope this does lead to a better Fortress for season 2.

"Uncle Edge." Ha, that's funnier than I expected.

Kyle has really come full circle as a character. Like, probably most people really disliked him initially but now he's acknowledging his own fault in what happened, apologized to Lois, and accepted responsibility. He's really come around. Is it too much to hope he'll quit drinking too?

Edge hitting Superman where it hurts...his family. Although I also hope that "I needed more time" is indicating some kind of plan like when Barry peaked through Bloodwork's possession to stop him.

Edge really does contrast with Clark in every way possible. Clark is a baby, Edge was a human. Clark lands in the US, Edge lands in the UK. Clark is warmly received by humans, Edge is hunted and experimented on. Clark's Fotress is in the Arctic, Ede's is in the desert. Clark's Holodad is kind and sympathetic, Edge's is basically Kryptonian Palpatine (no wonder Lara wanted nothing to do with him). Jor-El trained Clark, Edge's dad tortured him. Clark became a down-to-Earth reporter, Edge became a businessman.

So are we to assume that the Superman from John Henry's world was possessed and brainwashed like our Superman? He didn't genuinely turn on the Earth but was forced into doing it?

Oh hey, John Diggle! Y'know, they probably could have used a Green Lantern to fight Edge.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I thought the atom man was from the kirk alyn series..Also since max fliescher cartoons rights are complicated.How can these guys use the suit?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-23-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Interview with Edge’s actor: https://www.cbr.com/superman-lois-se...ner-interview/
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I thought the atom man was from the kirk alyn series..Also since max fliescher cartoons rights are complicated.How can these guys use the suit?
    They 100% used him because of Yang’s Superman Smashes the Klan using him, regardless of his original debut, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with the Fleschier suit because that’s what Superman wears in SSTK also. Dunno about the rights, haven’t heard of any problems regarding ownership of those. Clearly it’s not too big a problem considering both comics and now live action have used that S-shield.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Superman iteration.

This weeks episode was incredible. First off, I do like the modern suit, but that Fleischer suit is just leaps and bounds better, imo. It was great to see it. And honestly, I could do with a handful of "early years" stories - they capture the perfect dynamic in a way that's both fresh *and* classic. That's inspiring. Not to mention Lois getting the last jolt in on Atom Man was great! A very nice way to show that they're a natural team. The scene of Lois & Clark in bed with Tyler's hair a bit down tells me he'd look even better with a natural-type spitcurl... but anyway..

I'm wondering if the red beam, since it was used on both Kal and Tal, is having a similar effect on both? Like Tal's father was "purifying" him, and his reaching out to Kal was a weak spot in that control. Might be interesting. I have a feeling that this is going to lead back to Lois confronting Superman, the Tal telling him to burn her, things seeming like he will... but then she breaks him free and he takes Tal down. That kind of symmetry is hard for writers to pass up, so I'd expect it.

Bitsie and Tyler, imo, have the most natural, incredible chemistry on-screen. It's just palpable. And Ronda and I were pretty sad that the next ep isn't until July 13!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

This weeks episode was incredible. First off, I do like the modern suit, but that Fleischer suit is just leaps and bounds better, imo. It was great to see it. And honestly, I could do with a handful of "early years" stories - they capture the perfect dynamic in a way that's both fresh *and* classic. That's inspiring. Not to mention Lois getting the last jolt in on Atom Man was great! A very nice way to show that they're a natural team. The scene of Lois & Clark in bed with Tyler's hair a bit down tells me he'd look even better with a natural-type spitcurl... but anyway..

I'm wondering if the red beam, since it was used on both Kal and Tal, is having a similar effect on both? Like Tal's father was "purifying" him, and his reaching out to Kal was a weak spot in that control. Might be interesting. I have a feeling that this is going to lead back to Lois confronting Superman, the Tal telling him to burn her, things seeming like he will... but then she breaks him free and he takes Tal down. That kind of symmetry is hard for writers to pass up, so I'd expect it.

Bitsie and Tyler, imo, have the most natural, incredible chemistry on-screen. It's just palpable. And Ronda and I were pretty sad that the next ep isn't until July 13!
    I'm right with you. I liked Tyler and Bitsie in the roles on Supergirl,but they've taken it up a few notches. My favorite Supes....and my favorite Lois now.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm right with you. I liked Tyler and Bitsie in the roles on Supergirl,but they've taken it up a few notches. My favorite Supes....and my favorite Lois now.
    I agree with you and JAK, easily my favorite Superman and Lois. This show takes so many classic elements and nods to all things Superman and still does new and surprising things with them. There is some real, solid character work as the icing on the cake. I just can't get enough of it. My wife and I look forward to it every week. That July 13th date hurt a bit but I'm so excited for the next episode.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm surprised they never mentioned Lex at all. Like, not even a "Superman battles Lex Luthor" nod.
    Atom man was lex luthor originally.He builds a disintegration device or something like that.He did that in comics too.I think it also had something to do with nuclear testing and stuff like that going on.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

One of my favorite characterizations in the series so far is dorky Dad Clark. Not sure if dorky flashback Clark topped it, but it's damn close.

The depiction of Lois and Clark's budding relationship was fantastic. They really nailed it.

The Yang reference was sooooo cool.

Loved the phone booth bit. Was great how it was a psych out at first then they actually used it. And I'll never tire of the shirt-pull reveal, classic!

The previous episode had a series finale feel to it and I was wondering if any of the momentum would be sapped, but the answer is an unequivocal NO!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

It does sort of feel like they could be setting Morgan up for a redemption, doesn’t it? When Clark says “you don’t have to do this” to him right before he submits.

Bitsie and Tyler are incredible. There is just no getting around it. As I’ve seen people say elsewhere, I know obviously that she’s happily married to David Giuntoli but if I didn’t know that and you told me that Bitsie and Tyler were the ones who were really married I would probably go “yeah that makes sense.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I agree with you and JAK, easily my favorite Superman and Lois. This show takes so many classic elements and nods to all things Superman and still does new and surprising things with them. There is some real, solid character work as the icing on the cake. I just can't get enough of it. My wife and I look forward to it every week. That July 13th date hurt a bit but I'm so excited for the next episode.
    I really love that they told their story in a completely new and fresh way. They could have easily done a retread of Superman: The Movie, LnC or even Smallville with their love story and people would have eaten it up. But they didn’t. They took the time to tell a completely new story of an 83 year old love story. And they did it extremely well. They looked at it and said “ok we are telling this love story now in 2021. Lois and Clark are older millennials/young Gen-X. What does that look like?” I commend them for it.