Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So what is wrong with me? I am not enjoying anything Bat related that is new

Maybe I got spoiled on the older comics but I just hate most Bat stuff since New 52.

I am contemplating just checking out and reading my giant pile from the 70's up to 2008

Am I an idiot, what is wrong with me?

Astonishing Member

I do not know you but nothing seems wrong with what your feeling.

I am buying 2 titles...and 1 is cancelled with upcoming issue 15. This is the least number of comics I've ever bought.

I love the characters...but I just do not love the current stories.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 07-03-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Maybe I got spoiled on the older comics but I just hate most Bat stuff since New 52.

I am contemplating just checking out and reading my giant pile from the 70's up to 2008

You're fine I'd put the blame on DC

The early half of Rebirth was ok, but right now the bat books are in the gutter. Scrambling to repeat proven old marketing tactics and create speculator bait, but the actually quality of the work ranges from painfully mediocre to really shouldn’t even be on the selves bad.

Astonishing Member

You're not the only one.
    Speaking of all Bat stuff since the beginning of New 52, I've really enjoyed not so many Batman related series - Batman and Robin, Grayson and Tynion's Detective Comics run. That's it. Maybe also Super Sons, if that counts, and Gleason's Robin (both were closed early).
    Last edited by Morgoth; 07-03-2020 at 11:29 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with not liking current comics. I'm enjoying Tynion's run, and loved Tom King's, but I completely left buying or reading any DC Comics for 3 years in the n52. Find what you love to read, and don't force yourself to buy and read stuff you are not enjoying. If you try to do that, you'll just lose all love for comics and the characters.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Batman Overdrive was a fun recent comic. The White Knight stuff is good (although I haven't checked out the Curse of sequel stuff yet). Harleen was good, and there's a new sort of sequel digital issue out. I've heard good things about the Batman/TMNT comics.

If nothing else, watch Scooby Doo and Batman the Brave and the Bold and Batman vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. I also recommend the Batman Unlimited trilogy and the two Adam West Batman movies.

If none of those put a smile on your face then you definitely need to take a break.

Yeah, it's okay, you're not the only one.

I've fallen out of love with Bat stuff too.
    I mean, there's some Batman videogames on sale that I don't yet own, in the past I would have bought right away, but now I just feel meh about it - not even going to bother this time.

Incredible Member

Comics in general, becomes edgier.

Most of my DC Comics I still enjoy re-reading time to time, is mostly from the sixties to early eighties.

It has been a long, long time since I've last touched the nineties.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

[…]
    I think we can say "DC is wrong with you". Anyway I am even more drastic: I don't like most of the stories after Knightfall, because I think like that after that event Batman became more and more a vigilantes and less and less the hero he was meant to be.

There's nothing wrong with you.

I've found as I get older that most modern comics don't appeal to me. It could be that I'm used to certain writing styles that aren't as prevalent anymore, or that the way characters are written today seems very different to how they were written in the past, often to the point of being unrecognisable to me as a reader. Decompression, the rising cost of comics and crossover fatigue have all affected my reading patterns, and whe you've been reading for 40+ years it's rare to find a story that doesn't feel like a retread of one you've read in the past. There's also a possible nostalgia effect taking place as well.

I imagine a lot of readers experience this

On a positive note, when I do find a modern comic that I like I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed, moreso than I was as a younger reader.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I think we can say "DC is wrong with you". Anyway I am even more drastic: I don't like most of the stories after Knightfall, because I think like that after that event Batman became more and more a vigilantes and less and less the hero he was meant to be.
    For me it was No Man's Land but I do love the Brubaker/Rucka/Morrison/Dini issues as well and collect the Batman Arkham Insert Villain Here trades. Oh, stuff like the Caped Crusader trades, Dark Knight Detective trades and Batman related reprints in general will be added to the collection as long as I earn money. Current Batman... not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with you.

I've found as I get older that most modern comics don't appeal to me. It could be that I'm used to certain writing styles that aren't as prevalent anymore, or that the way characters are written today seems very different to how they were written in the past, often to the point of being unrecognisable to me as a reader. Decompression, the rising cost of comics and crossover fatigue have all affected my reading patterns, and whe you've been reading for 40+ years it's rare to find a story that doesn't feel like a retread of one you've read in the past. There's also a possible nostalgia effect taking place as well.

I imagine a lot of readers experience this

On a positive note, when I do find a modern comic that I like I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed, moreso than I was as a younger reader.
    Same here. PM me, if you find that rare gem.

There's nothing wrong with you. You simply outgrown the genre which is normal.

It's not that old comics are superior to current comics (I read some of them and I found them completely unreadable except for few). I started reading comics not too long ago and I already feel that I had enough where only couple of stand alone comics that interest me nowdays (and it's not because I think modern comics are bad because I enjoyed a lot of them more so than the old comics I have read).
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

I get what you're saying. I'm more or less in the same boat too. I was one of those who was excited about Batman and Catwoman getting married only for the rug to get pulled from under us. I haven't embraced all of it's recent stories like Death Of The Family and Dark Knights: Metal. Mostly any of the New 52 DC.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Castellucci's BATGIRL has been consistently great.

I have noticed a huge quality drop in the other Bat books since Mark Doyle left the editor seat.