Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    If I asked for a 50% raise, I'd likely be shown the door as well.
    A fifty percent raise can be reasonable, but Disney appears to have asked for Ten times the amount they were already making. That's outlandish in any situation, no one in their right mind would ever agree to that. Any future Spider-Man films Sony makes would have to bomb on historic levels to make what Disney proposed be the better deal in hindsight. That isn't nearly as likely to happen as some people seem to think it is.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I took it the other way. Far from Home made a billion and now Disney wants 50% of the profits on all future Spider-Man movies which is presumably a lot more than they got for Far from Home.

On the bright side, maybe Sony could finish their Spider-Man trilogy although I doubt they will now. .
    We will need a new language to describe what the reactions would be like if Sony announces a Spiderman 4 with Sam Raimi back.

But every version of Spider-Man Sony has done has been better than the MCU version so they have a good track record
    Only because MCU never told a Spiderman story from a Spiderman's view point.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Incredible Member

It’ll be interesting to see how Spider-Man is gonna be written out of the MCU.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

There are two more in the pipeline, right, for a total of four. That's about as far as any one-character superhero series goes anyway, at least until it starts to suck. After that they'll probably be ready to retire the character. Or Disney will just buy Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Never mentioning him again would have the same effect. The only shared character that might be problematic would be Happy and I can't think of any circumstance where we'd see him again.

It seems like it would be trickier on Sony's end, not Marvel's.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I suppose all I can say for now is that whatever happens, I hope Sony continues to produce Spider-Man movies that are worth seeing... I imagine some may get cynical in regards to that thought though...

wow. oh well. I guess with the help of Happy and Fury, Pete goes underground thanks to being outed by Mysterio, and that's that.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 08-20-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    To be clear, you're talking about the Sam Rami/ Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films, right? And even then, just the first two? Because Spider-Man 3 and the two Amazing Spider-Man movies really showed how inept Sony was in making those movies, and that doesn't bode well for the character going forward.
    What makes MCU Spiderman a better take on the character than Andrew Garfield?

Simple. He'll either not be mentioned at all, or maybe be referred to as the kid from Queens. After all, who is left that Peter interacted with in the MCU. Tony is dead, Cap is old and retired, and the Fury he worked with was actually a Skrull (and that will never be mentioned in a Spider-Man movie again).

Ultimate Member

"That bug guy had to go into witness protection because his ID was revealed."

Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    What makes MCU Spiderman a better take on the character than Andrew Garfield?
    First, I actually did like the Garfield movies, and I liked the second better than the first. And I thought that Andrew Garfield was a pretty good Peter Parker/Spider-Man, even if he was a bit old for the role. My entire problem with those movies were how they were executed.

The studio was so intent on creating a shared universe like the MCU, they went right into world building at the expense of character building. There were so many mysteries with Peter's parents, their connection to Oscorp, the mysteries of Norman and Harry... I remember a guy in a fedora and glasses, I think. It was all about setting up something for the NEXT movie, and not enough about telling a good, coherent story in THIS movie.

Sony corporate politics have always been the Achilles heel of the Spider-Man movies. It's when they start to get involved and override their directors that the movies start to suffer.

That isn't to say there aren't problems with the MCU Spider-Man, and I think we're going to see them in a glaring spotlight in the next movie. This Spider-Man has been built up around Tony Stark- all of his villains so far have been created by Tony Stark's actions, all of his suits are StarkTech- hell, Happy Hogan is flying him around in the last movie. But when they make the next movie, all of that will have to go. The one bright spot they have is Tom Holland, who seems to embody Peter Parker as good or better than Tobey or Andrew ever did.

Though, I think another Marvel mandate was that Spider-Man be back in high school again. I wonder if in the next movie we'll see that Peter has graduated already.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I've got nothing against Tom Holland but I doubt that will happen. The prevailing wisdom is that it would be too confusing. Having him continue as Spider-Man would have people going, "Duh. Is this in the MCU? It isn't consistent with Holland's two previous movies."
    The article literally says they're planning on doing two more movies with Holland and Watts returning and Holland has a contractual obligation to make another Sony movie.

Pulling Spider-Man out of the MCU is one thing (Disney's offer of 50/50 was totally ridiculous and unacceptable) but rebooting it again when you have the option to make sequels with Holland that no longer reference the MCU would be an act of self-destruction of Sony's biggest franchise.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sony stock is tanking because of this news. Hopefully that will get them back in the negotiating table.

Guess Tom could star in the next MCU movie as NIGHT MONKEY!
    I have no beef with Vegans

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I mean, with me personally being more of an animation fan than a live-action fan to being with, I'll say that if Sony helps keep making more Spider-Man movies like Into the Spider-Verse, then perhaps this outcome won't be as bad as some may make it out to be.