Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I think the feud was begun a year earlier in the X-Men annual.
    X-Men annual #9 takes place just before NM Special edition #1 if I remember correctly.

In terms of classic floppies, I read an old issue of Marvel Spotlight featuring Captain Universe! In terms of classics on tpbs, I read thru classic X-Men #1 from Marvel firsts. I enjoyed the derogatory, meathead, d-bag depiction of Beast in those old issues.

For me, Amazing Spider-Man 259 & Annual 18 in the most recent Epic Collection TPB.

For my boys (9 & 12), it was Amazing Fantasy #15. After seeing Stan Lee during his panel at the Phoenix Comicon yesterday, they decided to start reading Amazing Spider-Man from the beginning, so they both read Amazing Fantasy #15 last night. ***sniff*** I'm so proud!

I've been reading Essential X-Men, Volume 2, reprinting X-Men #25 to #53. I haven't read very many of these before. I had a few of the originals and also a few beat-up copies of the reprint X-Men series of the early 1970s.

It starts out soooo bad, with a Central American adventurer, El Tigre, who finds a pendant that makes him into the Mayan god Kukulcan. His henchman are a dude with a machete and a dude with a bolo. So dull.

But I'm glad I didn't give up on this volume for a few days because it picked up pretty quickly with the return of the Mimic (he takes Cyclops's place as deputy leader of the X-Men!), the Banshee, the Ogre, the beginning of the Factor Three storyline (I know about Factor Three from the reprint series, but I only read one of two of them), and a surprise appearance by the Super-Adaptoid!

Then there's a really bad issue with the Warlock and he enchants Marvel Girl and is going to make her his queen and ... ugh! Just ugh!

Hope it gets back on track pretty quick.
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Just read excalibur 1-11 going to start the cross time caper later tonight

Incredible Member

I'm still going through the Miller DD Omni. Just finished the Elektra's death issue. Holy cow, it was good.

Retired

I realize that for a lot of us the only way to read many classic comics is through collected editions (or else scans), but given the over-representation of collected editions on this forum, it would be nice to see more representation for actual classic comics--and classic comics are the things themselves in my definition, not the reprints. Well, some reprint collections have become so old that they are now classic comics, too. Certainly that's true for 80 Page Giants, 100 Page Super-Spectaculars, and a lot of tabloid size and digest size comics. But in general, I would much prefer to read the original comics, and read others' reactions to the original comics. There are plenty of other threads for collected editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I realize that for a lot of us the only way to read many classic comics is through collected editions (or else scans), but given the over-representation of collected editions on this forum, it would be nice to see more representation for actual classic comics--and classic comics are the things themselves in my definition, not the reprints. Well, some reprint collections have become so old that they are now classic comics, too. Certainly that's true for 80 Page Giants, 100 Page Super-Spectaculars, and a lot of tabloid size and digest size comics. But in general, I would much prefer to read the original comics, and read others' reactions to the original comics. There are plenty of other threads for collected editions.
    If you want more Classic comics threads, post about them!

Classic comics are still classics if you read them in any format. Would you have even noticed if said he read Daredevil #181? You should be encouraging more posters to read classic comics, any way they can(legally of course).

If you look in the Collected threads, all the discussion is about Classic comics getting collected too!

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Spider-Man #8-12 and #16, before that The Dreaming #3-8
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

My Essential Captain America 7 finally arrived but after the very dissapointing Essential Web of Spider-man v2 I thought maybe I would read an issue, just to check how it is and then switch to something modern.

Now I'm 3 issues in and I can say, this book is really good so far (especially compared to WoSM). I've never read classic Cap but it's really fun, I hope the rest of the book holds up (and I doubt the Stern-Byrne duo will dissapoint me)

All-New Member

I've been reading Marvel's Miracleman reprints.
    Boy, in the current story arc, they sure made Dr. Gargunza look like Jack Kirby (with an overbite), didn't they? I wonder if they meant anything by that?

I just finished ASM by Michelinie & McFarlane omnibus. It was entertaining, but boy, oh boy, I couldn't remember why I was so enamored with Todd's art back in the 90s. His inability to draw faces really began to grate on me as I read through the book. His detailed webbing and innovative way of posing Spidey was groundbreaking at the time, but unimpressed me now.

In terms of what constitutes a classic comic for me is whatever I couldn't get my hands on as a child in the late 80's and 90's. Those years were filled with "rare" expensive books, that I never got a chance to read. Now with these collected volumes I get the chance to read nearly all the books I always wanted and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    I just finished ASM by Michelinie & McFarlane omnibus. It was entertaining, but boy, oh boy, I couldn't remember why I was so enamored with Todd's art back in the 90s. His inability to draw faces really began to grate on me as I read through the book. His detailed webbing and innovative way of posing Spidey was groundbreaking at the time, but unimpressed me now.
    Same here but I couldn't finish the book because of the art (and I'm starting to realise that I don't have the patience for a lot of Spider-man stories anymore). But I can see why I liked it as an 8-9 year old. That time it was like nothing else, and it was KEWL.

A question for anybody that I intended to ask for a while:

I have zero experience with classic DC stuff, the oldest thing I've read are Watchmen, TDKR, Animal Man, but from the regular series I've only read the Death and Return of Superman (which I liked) and Knightfall( didn't liked that) but those are from the 90's.

But I've read some older Marvel stuff and I really liked: West coast avengers, Michelinie Iron man, Claremont X-men, and I'm currently enjoying Roger Mckenzie's Cap. I didn't liked Miller's first DD run (I know, I know...), Web of Spider-man, Lee-Kirby FF and as I stated above, the McFarlane spidey run.

So based on these what would you recommend from the following Showcase presents books?:
    -Trial of the Flash (I really like Flash and it seems like there is an ongoing plot with the trial, not just one issue adventures)
    -Jonah Hex vol 2 (I liked the Palmiotti-Grey run but the New52 stuff quickly lost me. The only thing I fear is that it collects only one shot adventures and without cliffhangers I wont be motivated to continue to read).
    -Batman and the Outsiders (I don't know nothing about the Outsiders, but it seems interesting and I know there are a lot of Outsiders fans, so there must be something about this team).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: Double
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 06-18-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Justice League International 58-62
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    So based on these what would you recommend from the following Showcase presents books?:
    -Trial of the Flash (I really like Flash and it seems like there is an ongoing plot with the trial, not just one issue adventures)
    -Jonah Hex vol 2 (I liked the Palmiotti-Grey run but the New52 stuff quickly lost me. The only thing I fear is that it collects only one shot adventures and without cliffhangers I wont be motivated to continue to read).
    -Batman and the Outsiders (I don't know nothing about the Outsiders, but it seems interesting and I know there are a lot of Outsiders fans, so there must be something about this team).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I can recommend Trial of the Flash, it's a very good story
    If by the Outsider series you mean the one written by O'Barr, then go for it
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

[QUOTE=Speed Force League Unlimited;205879I can recommend Trial of the Flash, it's a very good story
    If by the Outsider series you mean the one written by O'Barr, then go for it[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
    The Amazon description says: Written by Mike W. Barr and Marv Wolfman Art by Jim Aparo, George Perez, Bill Willingham and others.
    So yeah, it should be that one.