Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker war

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    i don’t get this issue like was Batman willing to let Joker Die? Or did he trust that he will escape the bomb? What’s the overall message about this So called War? Harley and Bats are pretty close now from this event is my main takeaway? Now Clownhunter met the guy but didn’t lead to anything special? I feel underwhelm by this arc
    end of spoilers
    Feels very similar to Morrison and Snyder’s runs. Joker showing up at the start, Joker attempting to force Batman to face a painful truth about himself and Gotham, Joker getting disfigured with a head/face wound and choosing to lie low. It all feels very familiar, not helped by “Ghost-Maker” being yet another rival who kills that Bruce met while training to become Batman. Tynion saying he plans on bringing in Scarecrow is a big plus for me though, I’ll be sticking with this run until that at the very least. I think the original plan was for Joker to actually die to kick off 5G but what happened happened and so now it’s a beginning instead of an ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. If there are 3 Jokers, who says there isn't a fourth one?

Besides, Clownhunter killing Joker is something it HAS to happen. I mean, in many way, Clownhunter represents a different version of Batman's himself. Batman became what he is after seeing his parents being killed by an ordinary crook, and Clownhunter became what he is after the Joker killed his parents. Since Batman never had the guts to kill the Joker, this kid lost his parents; and this represents Batman's incompetence. He wanted to make sure nobody would pass for what he had after losing his parents, but because of him, another kid has passed through something even worse.

Clownhunter will kill the Joker, and Batman won't be able to stop him; then Clownhunter will lecture Batman avoid how incompetent he really is, as he lost his parents because Batman never wanted to do what it had to be done. And now, Clownhunter will show Batman that, by doing this, he has saved millions of victims in Gotham; as Joker won't be just sent to Arkham again.
    Three Jokers is not in continuity.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

spoilers:
    Despite being a fantasy, it was nice to see Selina with long hair again.
    end of spoilers

I have a few minor thoughts:

spoilers:

1. I hope this is the last we see of the Joker for a good long time.

2. I also hope that Tynion doesn't continue to write these bombastic stories where Gotham gets mostly blown up and Batman flies around in what is effectively a spaceship. He is quite good with the "character moments" type of writing and doesn't take himself too seriously, so maybe we'll see some smaller mysteries and snappy dialogue, if not from Batman then from his supporting crew.

3. Punchline wasn't as painful as I thought she'd be. She seems like a genuinely malevolent villain, which is surprisingly rare in DC's female character menagerie. They tend to become anti-heroes over time.

4. With any luck, Batman will remain kind of poor for a while, or at least operate on a somewhat more limited budget. This could be an interesting status quo.

5. I guess the Joker has only one eye now? Or will he use that regeneration stuff to grow a new one?
    end of spoilers

Now that this is over I hope this is it for the Joker for the next year or so at least
    I mean this was really a highly unnecessary event and even the conclusion shows how this arc must have gotten several rewrites

Not a fan of the tell not show brand of storytelling that this arc hinged on. Even in the conclusion they use exposition to explain what happened to Joker and Harley instead of just having the art convey that

Oh but its a new beginning for Batman
    Just like so many new beginnings before it with different writers

I was just browsing on my phone and I realized you can’t see stuff hidden by spoiler tags easily. Or am I missing something? I had to cut and paste into a separate text box, annoying.

Extraordinary Member

Everything I'm reading about Tynion's run so far has me kind of glad that I decided to skip it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Man, I hope I don't sound ignorant since I have no other way to articulate this thought, but... this straight-up sucked. Like what the hell was the point of any of this **** and how was it different from any other "ZOMG THE CITY'S BURNING TO THE GROUND!" Batman story? It's almost comical how quickly everything is returned to normal. The Joker says he's scarred the city in ways that will take years to heal. Um, how? What exactly is different? I just don't get it. Like I've read most of Tynion's work in the Bat-universe and some of it isn't bad but I genuinely just don't understand what anything in this run is going for. Good thing I have thousands of old comics and DVDs with actual good takes on Batman and the Joker to keep me company.

One last thought. Remember when the Joker was funny? Damn, those were the days.

Oh, and another last thought. Is there actually a human being on the face of the Earth who even remotely cares about Clownhunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Now that this is over I hope this is it for the Joker for the next year or so at least
    I mean this was really a highly unnecessary event and even the conclusion shows how this arc must have gotten several rewrites

Not a fan of the tell not show brand of storytelling that this arc hinged on. Even in the conclusion they use exposition to explain what happened to Joker and Harley instead of just having the art convey that

Oh but its a new beginning for Batman
    Just like so many new beginnings before it with different writers
    Yep. Me too. And the art is quite good on this. Writers need to trust their artists more to convey story.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I was just browsing on my phone and I realized you can’t see stuff hidden by spoiler tags easily. Or am I missing something? I had to cut and paste into a separate text box, annoying.
    Reply With Quote the post.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-06-2020 at 04:53 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    On Android I just hit "select all" and it will highlight everything and it should show up

so who is in disguise in the purple hooded robe in the last story?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    It might be Superman

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post

It's the Joker
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. If there are 3 Jokers, who says there isn't a fourth one?

Besides, Clownhunter killing Joker is something it HAS to happen. I mean, in many way, Clownhunter represents a different version of Batman's himself. Batman became what he is after seeing his parents being killed by an ordinary crook, and Clownhunter became what he is after the Joker killed his parents. Since Batman never had the guts to kill the Joker, this kid lost his parents; and this represents Batman's incompetence. He wanted to make sure nobody would pass for what he had after losing his parents, but because of him, another kid has passed through something even worse.

Clownhunter will kill the Joker, and Batman won't be able to stop him; then Clownhunter will lecture Batman avoid how incompetent he really is, as he lost his parents because Batman never wanted to do what it had to be done. And now, Clownhunter will show Batman that, by doing this, he has saved millions of victims in Gotham; as Joker won't be just sent to Arkham again.

I think Clownhunter cares more about killing the henchmen who can go back to being civilians like nothing happened than taking out the Joker.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Oh, and another last thought. Is there actually a human being on the face of the Earth who even remotely cares about Clownhunter?
    I am that guy unfortunately
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy