Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why haven't any other Gods caught on other than Thor?

It is a pretty simple question that came to mind when reading Avengers No Road Home even with the most generic presentation possible the the Greek God Pantheon is pretty interesting. Which lead me to wonder why don't we have at least one other God that is popular. Hercules and Ares kinda counts I guess but Marvel has seem to crack the formula on them yet. War of Realms is coming up and it is basically another story showcasing Gods. This isn't even first one Fear itself and Chaos War are also events that push the a God concept . So on some level in Marvel it works why do think Marvel doesn't take shot in this area more they are many approaches you take with God concepts I have read Wicked and the Divine, God of High School and watch American Gods each of them work in different ways.

1. Why do you think other Gods haven't caught on Marvel? Do think Superhero tales themselves are modern version of God Myths and that is big reason why more haven't shown up?

2. If you had pitch to Marvel one Mythological God(s) to have a book at marvel who would be your choice?

3. What is your favorite use of Gods in Marvel that doesn't include Norse Mythology?

I think part of the reason is that Thor in Norse Mythology is like a superhero and is the star/focus of a lot of stories. Most Gods have one or two stories at best, so they don't really fit into the superhero idea as well as Thor. If there was a God to use it would be Lugh, Irish God of Skills, though he would be invincible since he is a master of everything.

Personally, all other Gods in the MU feel like a "Thor-lite". Why would I read about "insert God here" when I could just follow Thor's adventures?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1. Why do you think other Gods haven't caught on Marvel? Do think Superhero tales themselves are modern version of God Myths and that is big reason why more haven't shown up?
    Probably for the same reason the vast majority of new characters don't caugh up: they haven't been pushed by Marvel since the 60/70s.
    If Lee and Kirby created a Horus ongoing in the 60s, maybe he would be as popular as Thor now.

2. If you had pitch to Marvel one Mythological God(s) to have a book at marvel who would be your choice?
    If I'm allowed to use an avatar, I'll go with Sun Wukong. I like this character and it's a shame that Marvel gave up on him so easily.
    Maybe also Morrigan (formerly Siryn). To show the celtic gods through the eyes of a mortal recently elevated as god (although this kinda has been done with Foster)

If mortals are out of the picture, I guess I have a soft spot for the tricksters. So that would be either Coyote, Susano-O or Anansi.

3. What is your favorite use of Gods in Marvel that doesn't include Norse Mythology?
    Obviously there are Hercules (especially the Layton and Pak&VanLente series) and Ares.
    I also loved the Anansi short story in Spider-verse.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Personally, all other Gods in the MU feel like a "Thor-lite". Why would I read about "insert God here" when I could just follow Thor's adventures?
    Moon Knight anyone ? I mean why not show the Egyptians Gods a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Moon Knight anyone ? I mean why not show the Egyptians Gods a bit more.
    Egyptian gods are pretty interesting. I think most Anubis concepts I have seen look amazing.I think they are stuff to work with there

Astonishing Member

While Spider-Man’s supernatural side is always a controversial aspect, I would’ve loved for them to have delved deeper into his relationship with Anansi.

I think the overall problem is “God as a protagonist” feels fundamentally different from “God as a background character”. They would never be able use a god and actually have them feel like a god.

The original interpretation of Thor was that it was Donald Blake inheriting the power of Thor through Mjölnir which is why other characters (Erich Masterson, Red Norvell, Jane Foster) can turn into “Thor”. Once it was revisioned that Donald Blake was just a construct and Thor was a physical entity, he got a lot more powerful.

Ultimate Member

I'd prefer a god who is very different than Thor, in theme and powers.

Artemis would be cool, and very much against the grain, as superhero-archers are rarely powered at all, and a *goddess of archery* who can lift 40 tons and shoot an arrow over the horizon would be insane.

Hermes would fill the niche of 'speedster god,' or even stealth/rogue god. Again, not superhero archetypes that are traditionally as hard-hitting 'big guns' as one based on a god.

Heimdall or Iris would be neat, in that Heimdall's main power is amazing senses (combined with the usual Asgardian strength and toughness), and Iris has Monica-Rambeau-like powers, which is a neat concept.

And yeah, lesser used pantheons, like the Egyptian gods, or the Chinese, Japanese, Central American, West African, etc. pantheons, would be super cool. Less Norse and Greco-Roman gods, more Shango and Sekhmet.

Extraordinary Member

I think Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created something very special when they created not just Thor, but the whole of Asgard and Thor's family. It was beautiful, the characters were iconic, and the ever present family drama between Thor and Loki gave Thor a villain he couldn't just toss out of his life, though he normally doesn't want to.

Later writers and teams expanded on all of this.

So, I think that's really why. The groundwork for Thor and his world was laid in the very beginning of 616, so trying to really give any other god or their pantheon the same push is asking a lot.

iMan 42s

The Olympians didn't because of the focus on Asgard. Asgard just wasn't a thing people wrote about in comics and a lot of its modern popularity can be traced back to Marvel's Thor. The Olympians had indeed been ignored simply due to people already writing about them and the public being familiar with them, so there was an effort to downplay it. The Egyptian gods likewise had a lot of focus but a lot of that fell off as we discovered more and more about how Egypt worked. On some level it was insensitive and on others it was revealed we knew jack **** about them so we just don't see them as often.

The various Hellish entities and their groupies irritate me because it just goes to show that Marvel has never hired a single person who'd actually met a Satanist. If it had been up to me I would have a book about Hell and the daily goings on. Satan, Devil, whatever you want to call him literally just means antagonist. So what I would do is do a book about Satan by way of Anton Levay if only to get writers to use Hell for more than inferno realms and dudes in red spandex. Anton owned a fucking lion he walked down the street, Satan is a shapeshifter who likes fucking with people. I'd say add a pinch of Loki but Anton beat Marvel to that, that's way more interesting to me than some fire monster.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Marvel does have another pantheon like Thor's that took off. The Inhumans.

Anyway, Hercules still the GOAT.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

moon knight: god of moon walking the earth in human form does have a certain ring to it.

If you have too many gods running around, the ones that you do have aren't quite as special. So I can buy not pushing so many.

Also, the more you use gods as main characters the less mystique gods have. Eventually they just come off as super heroes who don't age. So you probably don't want to humanaize too many of them.

That said, I would agree some of the other pantheons aside from Greek and the Norse could potentially be milked a little more for viable characters in moderation.

I personally don't think Marvel handles the mythological/supernatural well anymore. As characters they've become watered down and aren't exactly distinguishable from powerful humans or aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I personally don't think Marvel handles the mythological/supernatural well anymore. As characters they've become watered down and aren't exactly distinguishable from powerful humans or aliens.
    THe thing about gods is that a lot of them aren't actually THAT powerful. Skyfathers and hell lords tend to be pretty uber. But for your typical pantheon god, a high end marvel super hero like a Hulk will usually overpower them (as we saw in No Road Home). Thor is more the exception than the rule.