Page 50 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354601001505501050 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I like Jason Momoa well enough for the right type of character (Ronon Dex, Conan), but I question his ability to bring forth the proper stylishness and gravitas of Arthur, King of Atlantis.

Kevin Smith commented on Momoa being cast as Aquaman on Ralph Garmen's podcast:

“Well, I think most people of course when they think of f****** Aquaman, they think of the traditional cartoon version, but the current version or incarnation is he’s a badass king of the seven seas, a warlord to some degree. So I could see where they would get away with casting this dude.”

[After looking at a photo of Momoa and Aquaman side by side] “Yeah I’ll buy it. Will they blonde his hair, you think? It’s awesome. Think about it dude, they used to make fun of Aquaman all the time. Aquaman, he only talks to f****** fishes. F****** say that to that dude’s face.”

Which is pretty much how I feel about the casting. If you want to use Aquaman in a movie you have a big problem. The general public sees the character as a bit of a joke. "The guy who talks to fish." Comic book fans know that Aquaman is a badass but that's about it. How do you solve this problem? Cast the guy who played Khal Drogo as Arthur! As Kevin Smith said, you think Aquaman sucks, say it to this guy's face. Casting Momoa instantly changes Aquaman's image in the public's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    Since there's nothing wrong with being white, you just proved my point.

But lets assume that your premise is correct, and that it's just fine to change characters any way a creative wants. If that's true you wouldn't mind if the next creatives to use them made Luke Cage, Blade, and Storm white characters
    I'm not the one being asked, but I think it is pretty clear that your examples are examples of false equivalence. Changing one major Black character is probably more close to... say... changing 50 White ones. The whole racebending thing stems from there not being that many PoC characters who are comic book superheroes. And very, very few who are closer to the upper echelons of superhero status.

You know, and I know, that the resulting eruption of outrage would rival the last time the Yellowstone caldera blew it's lid...because "diversity" is nothing but code for taking from white/straight/male/Americans to give to "aggrieved" minorities in comic books just as it is in Real Life.
    More like diversity is a code for trying to interest apathetic minorities -and people who like the prospect of not every major character being White- and reflect and recognize "Real Life". To recognize that, "Hey, there are other people who might like to indulge in this fantasy escapism the way that White males do!"
    While I have mixed feelings about turning White characters into something else (I prefer to take instances on a case by case basis instead of casting a general sentiment on the entire method), diversity is exactly what's needed in comic books if the publishers want to interest people who aren't the same ol' aging, dwindling, White males, and I'm 600% behind that.
    Last edited by Desh; 06-25-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

If they were to blond Momoa's hair, I'd hope for some kind of mythical reasoning just to add a bit of fantasy to the story.id also hope for Aquamna having a past living as a human refugee, explaining why he might be a bit more rough and modern than expected for a king of Atlantis.

Momoa can act better than people give him credit. Also DC seems like they are going for a badass Aquaman not the guy from the Super Friends. Hopefully they won't make him blonde because it would look a little weird to me if its Momoa.

This is Aquaman not Errol Flynn. Just make him bad@$$ like he was int eh Justice LEague cartoon. No hook hand plz, but everything else yes
    The J-man

BANNED

I wish they would hurry up and let us know what direction they're going with the character of Green Lantern. Their cinematic universe is the only continuity that matters to me. Will it be John Stewart, Jessica Cruz (the new Power Ring), or that GL from the movie? The first 2 I'd be game with. That last one would be a HUGE let down for me.
    Last edited by Ikonic; 06-25-2014 at 11:43 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    or the the already failed concept?
    What failed concept? Hal? That's like saying Steve Rogers was a failed concept based on the first couple of Captain America films. Just say you want John Stewart because you like his character the best and stop there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What failed concept? Hal? That's like saying Steve Rogers was a failed concept based on the first couple of Captain America films. Just say you want John Stewart because you like his character the best and stop there.
    At this point, he's clearly just baiting Hal fans. It's best to just smile and ignore it.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    At this point, he's clearly just baiting Hal fans. It's best to just smile and ignore it.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment, but, just so everybody else knows, nobody should be baiting anybody. We moderators don't have to allow that to pass around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    Since there's nothing wrong with being white, you just proved my point.

But lets assume that your premise is correct, and that it's just fine to change characters any way a creative wants. If that's true you wouldn't mind if the next creatives to use them made Luke Cage, Blade, and Storm white characters (Cage becoming a good ol' boy from Tallahassee, and Storm becoming a man), and have Northstar renounce is homosexuality and become a practicing Christian (Roman Catholic).

After all...characters are just as good if they're of any race/persuasion/religion...right?

You know, and I know, that the resulting eruption of outrage would rival the last time the Yellowstone caldera blew it's lid...because "diversity" is nothing but code for taking from white/straight/male/Americans to give to "aggrieved" minorities in comic books just as it is in Real Life.
    You might have a point with this if they made Batman, Superman and Spider-Man black, but all the changes have been supporting characters in movies dominated by white casts. Making characters like Storm, Blade or Luke Cage white would result in a film being without pretty much any major black characters.

BANNED

I'll just avoid talking about anything GL related. Its always the same.
    Last edited by Ikonic; 06-25-2014 at 11:57 AM.

I'll just avoid talking about anything GL related. Its always the same.
    Nobody said you can't talk about GL-rated themes. I had no problem when you said having Hal in the next movies wouldn't make you happy. I just get crazy in regard to this mantra about Hal Jordan as a failed movie concept. Again, there are numerous "failed concepts" that didn't fail at all when done right. This isn't debatable, either. BTW, I would have no problem with John Stewart as GL in any other movie, either. I actually like him and don't have the need to run him down left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    First couple? Are you referring to that super old VHS Captain America movie?

Although I thought Captain America: The First Avenger was bad (granted it was still better than I thought it would be after seeing the trailer) the movie still turned a good profit and was a success. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a good film and turned a big profit and was a hit. Not to mention a very good film imo.

The 2011 Green Lantern movie bombed. We can all nit pick why, but these things happen in the movie industry.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to bring Ryan Reynolds back. I've heard no word about GL at all from any of my sources or really any news websites. GL in the movies is just fan conjecture at this point. If they do use GL odds are its Hal Jordan based on everything we've seen. I can tell you that GL will not be in Batman vs Superman though.

I will wait to see how that film does before making any other predictions about the roster.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Personally I think it would be a mistake to bring Ryan Reynolds back. I've heard no word about GL at all from any of my sources or really any news websites.
    There is a rumor from a reputable source that Green Lantern will team with The Flash in a film in 2017. And the character has been teased by several actors, from The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, to Idris Elba (sorta').

I wish they would hurry up and let us know what direction they're going with the character of Green Lantern. Their cinematic universe is the only continuity that matters to me. Will it be John Stewart, Jessica Cruz (the new Power Ring), or that GL from the movie? The first 2 I'd be game with. That last one would be a HUGE let down for me.
    I'm waiting for that, too. Hopefully we learn what's going on with Green Lantern at Comic-Con (specifically as in which GL they will use). It's really encouraging to hear that the makers of The Lego Movie had to campaign to use Hal Jordan because WB didn't want them to. That's the best news I've heard in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    There is a rumor from a reputable source that Green Lantern will team with The Flash in a film in 2017. And the character has been teased by several actors, from The Rock, to Chadwick Boseman, to Idris Elba (sorta').
    When was the last time you heard "No, I'd never play that character, I think he's pretty shit to be honest" from any major actor? They tend to tease things to get attention.

How many thousands of actresses have said they were interested in Wonder Woman? Yet Gal Gadot landed the role with everyone caught off guard. Teases from actors about playing certain characters are utterly meaningless and rarely result in actual casting.