Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wouldnt exactly say Carol anchors any franchise
    Don't think I would either lol

I wouldnt exactly say Carol anchors any franchise
    It isn't a matter of anchoring a franchise even if you think Carol isn't a model of success. She has gotten enough chances with enough creative teams you can make an accurate assessment of her sales potential. Storm and other books just get one solo. Characters like Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, etc have big enough fanbase to do the R&D to find what works. Moon Knight, Punisher and others have gotten that chance. We have gotten Angel/ Frankenstein/ War Machine / Hydra Punisher, etc. They have try every angle to make him work. Storm is one of those characters where you should take the time to figure out clearly her potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Pretty much. If there's one thing Sue's book has proved is that she can have solo stories and lose nothing. Her first ever book was never going to do huge sales, but it's the start of changing people's perceptions. She has also appeared in other books without the other members of the FF in tow, like Captain America and Invaders. Like you said, all of this is how should start changing perceptions of "team characters".
    That's what Storm needs.

It likely won't happen in the next book Marvel gives her or the one after that, but if Marvel consistently pushes her then there is a chance to change that fan perception. That is one of the biggest barriers for "team characters" imo. Sales will always be low if fans off the bat think a character can't work alone. I genuinely think Storm can work, but it's about how much effort Marvel is willing to put in to make it happen because it will take a lot.

In other words; fake it til' you make it.
    I’m also loving Sue’s new solo book also! She is drawn beautifullyyy and the art and story in general are absolutely enthralling so far. When is the next issue due might I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It isn't a matter of anchoring a franchise even if you think Carol isn't a model of success. She has gotten enough chances with enough creative teams you can make an accurate assessment of her sales potential. Storm and other books just get one solo. Characters like Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, etc have big enough fanbase to do the R&D to find what works. Moon Knight, Punisher and others have gotten that chance. We have gotten Angel/ Frankenstein/ War Machine / Hydra Punisher, etc. They have try every angle to make him work. Storm is one of those characters where you should take the time to figure out clearly her potential.
    There are some characters that are worth trying different things to see what clicks with an audience. Storm is one of those characters.
    There are characters that instantly find their audience and need a couple tries to figure out what works. Storm definitely deserves such an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I’m also loving Sue’s new solo book also! She is drawn beautifullyyy and the art and story in general are absolutely enthralling so far. When is the next issue due might I ask?
    It's great that you're enjoying it! The next issue is out October 30th.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-03-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    But this thread is asking if she can anchor a franchise, not carry a solo. The former is alot more challenging to do and as I mentioned Wolverine and Deadpool are the only two X-characters that have been able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's great that you're enjoying it! The next issue is out October 30th.
    Hold up, her book is ongoing? I thought it was just a mini
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.

But this thread is asking if she can anchor a franchise, not carry a solo. The former is alot more challenging to do and as I mentioned Wolverine and Deadpool are the only two X-characters that have been able to do so.
    Can Storm carry a solo? Of course.

Can Storm have her own franchise? That's something we can talk about after she's had years as a solo character.

I guess I skimmed the OP question and thought it was the usual "Can she carry a solo" thread. Whether she can start and maintain her own franchise is another kettle of fish entirely. It's pretty rare for any character to be able to do that and it takes years of consistent storytelling as well as world-building. It's way to early to even think of that.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Yes I think she can. I think Marvel needs to make a conscious effort to build her up for it so it can be sustained.

I'm really tired of the same old question being asked every two years getting the same old response from the same old posters about how XYZ is this and that and how Storm is nothing without the X-men. I dont EVER see this being asked about any other X-man except Storm and its beginning to look a little suspect.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    I'm really tired of the same old question being asked every two years getting the same old response from the same old posters about how XYZ is this and that and how Storm is nothing without the X-men. I dont EVER see this being asked about any other X-man except Storm and its beginning to look a little suspect.
    lmfao gurlie when the storm solo movie comes out at the mcu and kills it at the box office we will see what these posters have to say.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Spectacular Member

Any character could with the right creative team and premise.

Storm hasn’t been interesting since Claremont’s initial run, though Wood wrote her well; doesn’t matter, it’s comics.

Change whatever the **** you like.

You'd have to rework her origin a little; like most of the X-Men, it isn't structured for an independent story. But that's doable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Yes she can. Storm can easily have a rogues gallery inspired by African folklore in addition to the enemies she already has such as adversary and Shadow King. All it requires is creative team willing to put in work.
    Those are awesome villains to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yup. Not to mention. Her father was a reporter, who knows what secret files he may have laying around that could change everything.
    David Munroe? Yes! That character is a total blank I believe, so for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Kevin Feige and company can do whatever they want regarding the MCU David Munroe.
    Then you have her royal lineage, storm is air apparent to Kenyan throne and the reason her family didn't look for her is because her uncle threatened her.
    He did? I SO want to see that in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

BANNED

yes but it needs to be consistent and inovative, so creating new villains/supporting characthers, good art, a passionate artist, make it relevant to the larger x-verse, ororo has a lot of unexplored history, shes flexible to adapt to various levels of fiction and betwen scifi/fantasy.
    It's really a no brainer but you gotta start somewhere and you need to push out of the growing pains like every other solo characther had to go trough

BANNED

With a Good Writer, Artist yeah she can make it.

She could, in fact, I'd say anybody could, but you'd have to do a LOT of work to get it right.

One of the problems you have is having her stories be her own stuff, not X stuff, not Black Panther spin-offs. She needs to have her own direction separate from the team and considering the majority of her comic career, she's never had much of a life outside the team, that's a tall order.