View Poll Results: What is the best direction for the Miles Morales title?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should be one of several Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

34 51.52%
  • He should replace Peter Parker as Spider-Man in the regular Marvel Universe

1 1.52%
  • He should be the main Spider-Man in another reality outside the regular Marvel Universe

31 46.97%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh, I understand that Miles has found a place within 616 and developed relationships there that he wouldn't have otherwise. I just miss the days when he was the one-and-only Spider-Man on his own world, and now he's only that thematically.

I don't think the argument is that he "NEEDS" Peter permanently dead to work, just that he is much more narratively stronger when Peter is dead within his narrative as Spider-Man.

With Gwen as the token girl ?
    What makes you say that?

I understand the importance of Peter dying in the beginning of Miles’ story so I’d never suggest that gets taken away but I’m not sure how a Peter being alive now alongside Miles makes him narratively weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    What makes you say that?

I understand the importance of Peter dying in the beginning of Miles’ story so I’d never suggest that gets taken away but I’m not sure how a Peter being alive now alongside Miles makes him narratively weaker.
    There isn't that sense of inheriting the mantle in a world without it's Spider-Man or coming into his own as his world's sole Spider-Man as part of an inherited responsibility.

It would be like doing Into the Spider-Verse but instead of going to his own world Peter B. sticks around on Miles'.

Interesting how divided everyone is.

I'm a bit torn on this myself. Into the Spider-Verse showed how well Miles works in a world where he's the main Spider-Man, so that's what pushed me into the "he should be in his own universe" corner.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Interesting how divided everyone is.

I'm a bit torn on this myself. Into the Spider-Verse showed how well Miles works in a world where he's the main Spider-Man, so that's what pushed me into the "he should be in his own universe" corner.
    That was part of my reason, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm one of the few who likes Miles way better than Peter. He should be part of the regular Marvel U if not Peter's replacement. I see him as the Jamie Reyes or Kyle Rayner of Marvel.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Given the circumstances I think that bringing him into the main universe was an alright decision. I loved the Ultimate universe, but if Miles was going to be the only title carrying it anymore I don't mind them having been transplanted. It makes his origin kind of screwy, especially now that ITSV proved that it was palatable to a wider audience but I think he's been used alright as a member of the 616. I don't mind him being the younger, more inexperienced Spidey when compared to Pete.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There isn't that sense of inheriting the mantle in a world without it's Spider-Man or coming into his own as his world's sole Spider-Man as part of an inherited responsibility.
    Basically Miles Story is that there is no Spider-man so he has to step in and become Spider-man.

Moving him to the main marvel universe changes that to "There is no Spider-man. I have to be the new Spider-m-- oh wait. There he is over there. Oh, I guess I can still be Spider-man anyway."

There's no importance in his role anymore and no real drive for him to do what he does. Instead of being the Inheritor of Spider-man's legacy, he's now "that other Spider-man from an alternate reality". if you're trying to do down to earth regular guys as heroes "from an alternate reality" is a pretty horrible thing to have as a major part of their backstory.

By being moved to a universe with its own Peter Parker, Miles Morales was robbed of his reason to exist and his background... and what did he gain? Frequent crossovers? Big deal, [sarcasm mode]because everyone loves when comics have to interrupt their ongoing stories to feature some frost giants wreaking havok in the street. And he may not joined the gang that roamed the country in a van with a baby god, what a loss that would have been![sarcasm mode/]. Frequent team-ups? Again, big deal. They are fun to see from time to time, but remember that a good character does not need them; in fact I would worry about the characters that need to shoe-horn a new team up in each issue to boost sales. The best Spider-Man films of all time (if not the best superhero films of all time) were Spider-Man 1 and 2, and the Raimi trilogy is completely devoid of team-ups.

Miles’ life isn’t centered around Peter Parker or his demise anymore. He has enough differences to distinguish him from every other Spider. He has a strong support system of both super-powered and baseline human friends and parents who know his identity & support him.

I wonder if anyone saying Miles had his background “taken” away have been keeping up with him? Miles’ story is still evolving and probably even better than before. He’s even getting his own rogues gallery.

BANNED

There’s a reason why it’s called the Multiverse or the Spider-verse in this case. I rather not have another Green Lantern situation here. Let Miles be his own Spider-Man in his own world maybe as a replacement for Peter when he dies in his world. Other than that let’s not make him another Spider-Man in the mainstream Marvel.

I mean while it’s all well and good now doesn’t make things better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    There’s a reason why it’s called the Multiverse or the Spider-verse in this case. I rather not have another Green Lantern situation here. Let Miles be his own Spider-Man in his own world maybe as a replacement for Peter when he dies in his world. Other than that let’s not make him another Spider-Man in the mainstream Marvel.

I mean while it’s all well and good now doesn’t make things better in the long run.
    ......it’s been four years

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Miles’ life isn’t centered around Peter Parker or his demise anymore. He has enough differences to distinguish him from every other Spider. He has a strong support system of both super-powered and baseline human friends and parents who know his identity & support him.

I wonder if anyone saying Miles had his background “taken” away have been keeping up with him? Miles’ story is still evolving and probably even better than before. He’s even getting his own rogues gallery.
    Say that to the MCU Spider-man who borrows a lot of what Makes Miles special in the comics.

Well firstly, Miles is never going to replace Peter in the 616 main continuity. Peter isn't going to get older and retire, with Miles filling that void, and so on.
    Second, there's been attempts at second-string alternate Spider heroes for ages now. Out of Ben Reilly, Miguel O'Hara, Kaine, etc, I'd say Miles has been the most successful.
    So if there's always going to be an alternate in the main continuity, why not have it be him? That's where I've decided to sit. Peter can be an elder statesman to him but still in the awkward place between hero with his sh!t together and a young-adult mess to the wider world, while Miles can be more of a Spiderboy.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 06-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Say that to the MCU Spider-man who borrows a lot of what Makes Miles special in the comics.
    I do think that falls more of the inability to make him an interesting character with those same connections to Iron Man and Cap without drastically changing his origins from Lee/Ditko. But to be fair, he also seems to be borrowing from Riri now if he’s really trying to be the “new Iron Man.” It speaks more to the quality of their backgrounds than them not being able to work in different mediums. I can’t see them ever taking Miles back to a dead universe (not literally, but financially and storytelling-wise). This seems to be the direction they want to take Miles (and Gwen from her latest Ghost-Spider announcement). I like them establishing a concrete Spider-Family.

You're saying that like Miles is some completely original unique character and not just a copy of the original Spider-man himself.