Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Default Captain America #2 (SPOILERS)

Anybody else catch the second issue of Coates and Yu's Cap? I really enjoyed it.

The Nuke army crashes the World Conference of Mayors in Chicago, and Cap shows up to dispatch them, all the while ruminating on the concept of being a soldier and the super-soldiers that have come after him. Thunderbolt Ross shows up and chastises Steve for taking action on his own instead of waiting for orders — he tells Steve that not everyone in America is convinced that Steve and Stevil are different people, and that the memories of Secret Empire are fresh in their minds.

Back home, Steve reflects on how he feels about Secret Empire while listening to an Alex Jones-type radio host spout off conspiracy theories about how Cap and HydraCap are one and the same. Sharon comes in and checks on him, tells him he needs to forgive himself and that Ross isn't really so bad, and that she's setting out to track down some leads. Steve fishes out some beads (not unlike the ones in the Black Panther movie) and opens up a line of contact with Black Panther, Shuri, and some other Wankandans, setting up the Black Panther team-up for next issue.
    ----
    There are also a couple panels of a woman with her hand outstretched and a glowing blue light coming from her palm, and in one of them, Steve mentions a bargain that he made; the woman says "I can make you strong again." I couldn't tell exactly what was supposed to be going on there. In the first instance, I thought it was Kobik, but Kobik never really said anything along those lines to Steve. The dialogue reads like Alexa's dialogue in the FCBD issue with the Nukes, though. Not sure if what was going on there was supposed to be obvious and I just missed it, or if it's something they'll be expanding upon later.

EDIT: Coates was referencing Cap's return to youth/the arrival of HydraCap in Sam Wilson: Captain America #7. I should have caught that!
    ----

Overall, it was a good issue, if a little slow-paced. It reminded me of the better solo stuff from Brubaker and Bendis, and like their better stuff, it's definitely the type of story that seems like it reads better in trade. The way Steve's inner monologue was framed as an address to Sharon reminded me of Daredevil: Yellow in all the best ways. I like Coates's Cap and I like how he writes Sharon, too. I'm really intrigued to see where he goes with this.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Spectacular Member

I LOVE this book so far. Everything about it is really clicking with me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    I LOVE this book so far. Everything about it is really clicking with me.
    Same here. I really dug this issue.

I wouldn't mind if the pace started to pick up just a tad but that's a very minor point with me.

What I'm crazy about here is the strong characterization and the promise of a very serious-minded run.

I think the political intrigue is going to get very thick, very fast, with Ross and his machinations along with Steve and T'Challa collaborating.

And oh yeah, Yu draws a totally killer Cap. That panel where he's on the motorcycle is just perfection.

Also, thumbs up for how Coates is handling Sharon and her relationship with Steve.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 08-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm just wondering how Ross got back into any position of authority after the crap he pulled as Red Hulk with the Intelligencia. Then again, I suppose as long as the general public doesn't know the connection between Ross and Red Hulk, just like they probably didn't know about the shady crap Henry Peter Gyrich was pulling for years on end . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Sharon Carter has been amazing in this and the only saving grace so far for me on this book.

I don't mind. Sharon has been superbly entertaining.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

picking mine up after work
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm just wondering how Ross got back into any position of authority after the crap he pulled as Red Hulk with the Intelligencia. Then again, I suppose as long as the general public doesn't know the connection between Ross and Red Hulk, just like they probably didn't know about the shady crap Henry Peter Gyrich was pulling for years on end . . .
    Norman Osborn chucked a girl off a bridge and was made top cop

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

I loved it. The tone of the book feels like a Captain America book and he definitely didn't go the route people thought he would go. I can't wait for it to pick up.

Mighty Member

Really liked this. Watching Steve deal with the fallout of Secret Empire has been a treat. Very much looking forward to see where this heads.

Also, as noted above, this is the best Sharon Carter since Brubaker. Delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    There are also a couple panels of a woman with her hand outstretched and a glowing blue light coming from her palm, and in one of them, Steve mentions a bargain that he made; the woman says "I can make you strong again." I couldn't tell exactly what was supposed to be going on there. In the first instance, I thought it was Kobik, but Kobik never really said anything along those lines to Steve. The dialogue reads like Alexa's dialogue in the FCBD issue with the Nukes, though. Not sure if what was going on there was supposed to be obvious and I just missed it, or if it's something they'll be expanding upon later.
    So, this could totally be something that is going to be explored later, and I've just misread it. But it really felt like that was supposed to be Kobik. That Steve is feeling like he made a devil's bargain to get back in the fight, and Stevil was the consequence he couldn't see coming. The way it intercut with the monologue, with Steve talking about fighting so hard to be seen as different from the Nukes and the Red Skulls of the world. It came across as Steve talking about the risk he took "to not be the boy who stayed the boy" in WW2, and comparing that to the apparently deliberate choice he made to be restored by Kobik in Pleasant Hill. I think Steve is dealing with feeling like his selfishness, his need to be seen as something strong and noble (a boy who became a man) is what allowed the Supreme Commander to be born. That he is directly blaming himself for Hydra's takeover.

Especially in light of Sharon's comment about how he needs to forgive himself.

Which is a very Steve way to view the situation, when you get right down to it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, it's funny how classic it is without feeling retro. And I can't tell if Coates is beating me over the head with the deeper meanings or if I'm reading into that due to his background. Pretty impressive, haha.

The main plot itself was just kind of there until T'challa showed up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    So, this could totally be something that is going to be explored later, and I've just misread it. But it really felt like that was supposed to be Kobik. That Steve is feeling like he made a devil's bargain to get back in the fight, and Stevil was the consequence he couldn't see coming. The way it intercut with the monologue, with Steve talking about fighting so hard to be seen as different from the Nukes and the Red Skulls of the world. It came across as Steve talking about the risk he took "to not be the boy who stayed the boy" in WW2, and comparing that to the apparently deliberate choice he made to be restored by Kobik in Pleasant Hill. I think Steve is dealing with feeling like his selfishness, his need to be seen as something strong and noble (a boy who became a man) is what allowed the Supreme Commander to be born. That he is directly blaming himself for Hydra's takeover.
    Yes, I also took the image of the girl with the glowing eyes to be Kobik as well. Those exact words may not have come from Kobik's mouth but I think it's supposed to represent the essential spirit of what Kobik's offered to Steve. And yes, I agree that he feels guilt over that deal - that his desire to get "back in the fight", unknowingly led to Stevil.

Steve's crisis of conscience here is well portrayed and I like that he's struggling to see himself as different from the many dark reflections of himself that he's battled over the years.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Really liked this. Watching Steve deal with the fallout of Secret Empire has been a treat. Very much looking forward to see where this heads.

Also, as noted above, this is the best Sharon Carter since Brubaker. Delightful.

Especially in light of Sharon's comment about how he needs to forgive himself.

Which is a very Steve way to view the situation, when you get right down to it.
    I really like this analysis. Makes a lot of sense to me, and makes the issue even more enjoyable. I’m really enjoying Coates’ character study of Steve so far.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that—I’m glad someone brought it up.

of course it was Kobik. was it supposed to be a mystery?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    of course it was Kobik. was it supposed to be a mystery?
    I don't think so. I think it's pretty clear that it's meant to be Kobik but the OP expressed some doubt about the character's identity as there might not have been a previous panel that showed Kobik saying the exact words she does in Steve's memories here. But I think we're simply seeing things from a different angle than we have before.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Mr. Coates you rock! excellent issue. you made a reader who had no interest in captain America excited to see where his journey is going. ready for what's up next.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!